Hi all, i have just came up with an idea to make an fx loop inside mi channel switcher for mi amp. it is a 3 button footswitch, but only 2 are used for channels. i want to re-wire the 3rd button to be a on/off for the fx loop. i also want to put a in and out jack in the pedal so i can go to bypass wen i dont want to use the fx loop. if tht dont make sense, ask me to write it again. any suggestions or help wud b appreciated.
cheers
tom
Tom

Guitar: Aria Excel standard.

Amp: Crate FW112 65W.

Pedals: Boss MT-2, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Digitech Hot Rod.
Hey dude nice idea... hmm ok what kind of switch is the third one actually??
It's gotta be easy.. ima try to paint a schematic for you... tmaro..
and hmm well you could make a TRS one jack FX loop... that'd make the bypassing easier (depends on the type of the switch)
It wouldn't really be an FX loop, because the idea of an fx loop is that it comes after the preamp eq and distortion. Also i don't really understand where this loop would go in your signal chain?

TM
im not quite sure. do you put wah pedals and disto pedals b4 other effecs? like from amp, wah, disto, other effects?
cos i want to put the signal strait through the box as well
and im not sure on the switch. i has 3 poles or watever you call them
Tom

You can't really make an FX loop with pedals and all that and have it all feed back to amp via footswitch.

No signal of any kind actually passes through the footswitch, so the pedals would still have to be plugged in as normal to the send/return jacks on the amp (assuming it has an FX loop).

You could, however, simply build a bypass box into the footswitch, but it would be wholly seperate from the channel switching system...

I'm bored at work, so you get an example of how this would wire up:

The "fx loop" (really just a bypass box) is built into the footswitch, and doesn't connect in any way to the footswitch wiring.

In this example, pressing the FX button on the footswitch would engage the loop containing OD and Delay.

Kind of odd, but I guess it could save a little space on a board.
Last edited by Rutch at Sep 30, 2009,
lol u said what i wanted to say but in a more understandable way. i am only 15 lol. tht is basicly what i want to do
Tom

It would be easy; a bypass looper is one of the easiest things to build, and wouldn't take up much room in your footswitch at all.

Here's how to wire it up using the 3PDT switch you said was in there, though you'd only need a DPDT, unless you wanted an LED, in which case you'd need power, which may be supplied externally, or could come from the footswitch if it already has LEDS, but then I'd probably need to see a schematic, or at least a gut shot, and then I could draw out how to tack it in.

(I dare anyone to challenge the enormity of this run-on sentence!)

and now for the problem. the switch only has 3 prongs on it, not 9, so i will need to buy a new switch?

ill take some pictures of the inside to show you as soon as i can
thanks for the scematic
Tom

Tom

Kind of odd, but I guess it could save a little space on a board.

also saves me buying a line selector or something like that
Tom

Yeah, it'll be easy, there's plenty of room in there.

You will need a new switch, but you don't need the 9 prong (3PDT), you need a 6 prong (DPDT). These are easier to find, Radioshack's got them.

The only reason for the 9 prong (3PDT) is for an LED indicator, but that might be a little tricky for ya.
Also, I don't see any wiring for those. Is it behind the switch, or inside it?

Oh well, doesn't really matter, unless the LED is a must.

Give me a few, I'll mock something up...

Edit: Ok, I suck at paint, but this is about what it would look like:

(excuse my MS paint skills...)

It's about 10-15 bucks total parts here, and would be a good way to dive into soldering and tinkering.

Go to it, man!
Last edited by Rutch at Oct 1, 2009,
the led is on the top right and middle prong atm
and i live in england so no radioshack nearby
is the orange line the ground for all of them?
Tom

Last edited by smudgertom at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by smudgertom

is the orange line the ground for all of them?

Yep, that's ground.

I'm not real sure where to get electronics parts over there, though, sorry.

Too bad you're overseas, otherwise I'd do it for ya!
I think I see what your saying, and it sounds like a pretty standard bypass loop.

In the example I gave here:
Quote by Rutch

If all the effects were turned on, the signal would be:

guitar -> wah -> tuner -> fuzz -> chorus -> amp

By engaging the loop, the signal would be:

guitar -> wah -> tuner -> delay -> OD -> fuzz -> chorus -> amp

It's not a true FX loop, because everything is still feeding straight to the front end of the amp, but it offers two advantages:

1. multiple effects (in this case, the delay and OD) can be switched on with just one button tap

2. It would be a true-bypass loop, meaning that the OD and Delay are completely out of the signal path, keeping a clearer sound, as the signal doesn't pass through any kind of buffer built into the pedals. This isn't a huge deal, but some people prefer it.