This is my first post and i didn't really know where to put this so i put it in the general "Electric Guitar" section.

I just got a Jackson RR3 Rhoads last month and it sounded like heaven. It was awesome, amazing. I had it kept on standard for a month and then got it set up
on saturday. Took them till monday afternoon and when they gave it back to me (i wanted it set up in drop c), it sounded like complete crap. You can't even hear the note
over the buzzing. The rr3 has a floyd rose system and he supposedly fixed the springs and put in ernie balll strings 11 gauge. However, my old beginner guitar (jx40) sounds better on drop c with the strings it came with. At least I can actually HEAR the note, unlike on my rr3 now. What am i supposed to do? is there another factor that causes rattling other than the type of strings?
action is too low sir...raise it up by taking an allen wrench at the bridge and just raise it up..should take care of it
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
is the floyd rose straight with the body?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Why get a floyd rose if your going to tune to drop c? 11s are a decent gauge, must be the springs. do your research if you dont know what floyd roses do or are capable of
Quote by chuckmehh
action is too low sir...raise it up by taking an allen wrench at the bridge and just raise it up..should take care of it

Loosen the strings before doing this or you can mess up the knife edges and posts of your tremolo
thanks for the fast replies guys, when i picked it up he DID say that he set up the action low.

but just to make sure, ernie ball 11's shouldn't have a problem playing drop c, right?

jfrey: I'm not sure how the springs are supposed to look in the first place lol, not the technical sorta guy.
although he looked like he knew what he was doing, he could play songs in drop c really well, he's the guitar technician of the store plus the main person who gives lessons in that store. I couldn't really find anything unusual, everything looks exactly like it did before I gave it to him 'cept the strings are a teeny bit thicker and the action does seem to be a little lower so that may be it.

EDIT: this post is to the first 2 guys who posted, my post took too long and other people posted before this
Quote by cainmd
Why get a floyd rose if your going to tune to drop c? 11s are a decent gauge, must be the springs. do your research if you dont know what floyd roses do or are capable of

This post makes no sense, he went to get his guitar set up for drop c, which an fr is completely capable of so, I don't know why you questioning him.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by CrimsonSwirl
thanks for the fast replies guys, when i picked it up he DID say that he set up the action low.

but just to make sure, ernie ball 11's shouldn't have a problem playing drop c, right?

jfrey: I'm not sure how the springs are supposed to look in the first place lol, not the technical sorta guy.
although he looked like he knew what he was doing, he could play songs in drop c really well, he's the guitar technician of the store plus the main person who gives lessons in that store. I couldn't really find anything unusual, everything looks exactly like it did before I gave it to him 'cept the strings are a teeny bit thicker and the action does seem to be a little lower so that may be it.

EDIT: this post is to the first 2 guys who posted, my post took too long and other people posted before this

Ernie Ball 11's work perfectly for drop C. it's how my guitar is set up now.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by CrimsonSwirl
... then got it set up on saturday. Took them till monday afternoon and when they gave it back to me (i wanted it set up in drop c), it sounded like complete crap. You can't even hear the note over the buzzing.

If you paid for a setup and it sounds crap, TAKE IT BACK!! Tell them to do a proper job this time.
Quote by marsguitars
If you paid for a setup and it sounds crap, TAKE IT BACK!! Tell them to do a proper job this time.

this. if you're paying for a set up to play your guitar, you want it as perfect as possible, not buzzing everywhere.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by marsguitars

lol. The store that we took it to wasn't the one where we bought it, so I was half-expecting to walk in and seem them smashing it to pieces XD

I just checked on it, and im gonna try getting the action raised, because when i played and looked extremely closely when I played the 5th fret, it seemed as if the vibration of the strings hit the 6th and maybe 7th frets. and I'm not striking hard at all. But when I do play as soft as I can it sounds real good. so if raised action doesn't work then do they make tighter strings that can still handle drop C? Ones that don't wobble as much but still sound low?
Quote by CrimsonSwirl
lol. The store that we took it to wasn't the one where we bought it, so I was half-expecting to walk in and seem them smashing it to pieces XD

I just checked on it, and im gonna try getting the action raised, because when i played and looked extremely closely when I played the 5th fret, it seemed as if the vibration of the strings hit the 6th and maybe 7th frets. and I'm not striking hard at all. But when I do play as soft as I can it sounds real good. so if raised action doesn't work then do they make tighter strings that can still handle drop C? Ones that don't wobble as much but still sound low?

raised action should work, but if that doesn't, maybe 12's.
Quote by pedromiles101
ok well I finally have my guitar back at home. the guy there said that there was no way to get rid of buz/rattle in drop c.

However, he fiddled around with it and set the action a little higher than when it started out and it's great now. dunno if he did that on purpose or not, but im fine with it now.

but the reason i bumped this was for this question: is it or is it not possible to get rid
of all buzzing/rattling noise on drop c, or will there always be a little bit. I'm fine with the way it is right now with the slightly higher action, but im a perfectionist :P i just want to know if it's possible.
Quote by CrimsonSwirl
ok well I finally have my guitar back at home. the guy there said that there was no way to get rid of buz/rattle in drop c.

However, he fiddled around with it and set the action a little higher than when it started out and it's great now. dunno if he did that on purpose or not, but im fine with it now.

but the reason i bumped this was for this question: is it or is it not possible to get rid
of all buzzing/rattling noise on drop c, or will there always be a little bit. I'm fine with the way it is right now with the slightly higher action, but im a perfectionist :P i just want to know if it's possible.

you can eliminate all buzz
Quote by pedromiles101
but thick strings hits the frets all the time and makes that unnesecery sound..
Crutchy wrote:

And I'd also like a guitar that can tune down without "hurting the guitar."
What I mean is like, when you tune down (lets say, to Drop C), your guitar sounds like total **** when you play it, and it seems like when you strum, the guitar is having a hard time handling how loose the strings are. I tried it on my cousin's Epiphone Les Paul and that's what happened.
one solution would be to get a baritone scale guitar; longer neck equals higher tension with thinner strings.

problem solved.

But I really don't know why you're having so much trouble with the 11's in drop C I never had any when tuning that low on a normal guitar. perhaps some picks or vids of the guitar so we can see what might be the cause?
lol, slinkies and drop tunings... reminds me of a slipknot film clip gone wrong... though i will admit, they don't sound half bad...
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive