So, I bought an Epiphone Les Paul custom Silverburst from Guitar Center about 2 years ago. I was quite a guitar noob back then, so I put it on layaway. It took me about 10 months before I actually ended up getting enough money to pay for it. When I did have the money, the guys at GC sold actual guitar that I had picked out in-store. So, I was told that they had a brand new LP that was still in its box back in their storage room. I took that one, and they did something of a setup on it and I went home gleefully to enjoy my new purchase. Immediately I found out that the wiring was effed on my pickup selector switch. One wire was touching the sides of the switch therefore grounding out the current and preventing me from using my bridge pickup. I brought it back in, and the GC clerk pulled out my pickups and "fixed" the problem. Today, 2 years later, after months of nearly throwing the guitar out of the window out of frustration at its ****ty tone (which was disappointing considering Les Paul's legendary reputation) I found out that the #$%@#@! employee at GC put in the plastic mounting doohickey that holds the pickup in, backwards. So I pulled out the pickup, flipped around the plastic whatever-you-call it and put it back in, so at least now the pickup sits level in relation to the strings. Im still uncertain about the quality of the rest of the setup on my guitar. I can't get the guitar's intonation right to save my life, and when its close, all of the frets other than the 12th are out of tune. On top of that, the guitar's tone still isnt what I'd expect from a LP. Plus it buzzes loudly, unless I touch some metallic surface on the guitar, which slightly reduces the buzz. What do I do? My warranty is up on the guitar, and I'm not going to shell out 100's of dollars for a professional setup that should have been done when I first bought the guitar. I could really use your help guys. Thanks!
Last edited by sickstring11 at Sep 29, 2009,
needs to be grounded
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by sickstring11
Today, 2 years later, after months of nearly throwing the guitar out of the window out of frustration at its ****ty tone (which was disappointing considering Les Paul's legendary reputation)

blame your amp.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I've seen quite a few new very expensive LPs that were in need of a professional setup and/or fret leveling. Just the way it is.
This is why i dont buy les pauls, not only does it make you a conformist *****, there just bad overall.
The amp may not be the best sounding amp ever but it shouldn't be the source of the buzzing. As said above likely a grounding issue. I am not a wiring buff so I won't be of much help but somebody around here should be able to point you in the right direction. Gut shots might help. A setup isn't hundreds of dollars FYI. Probably no more than 50 bucks for a tech to give you setup and address any wiring issues. IMO its worth it to enjoy a guitar you have sunk your hard earned money into. Also like said before don't buy from GC if you can help it. I deal with local people and they always give the guitar a good setup before it comes home with me or I don't buy it. Sh1tty tone however could be because of the Spider. If the intonation problems are as bad as you say there could be more to it and more money involved but I think its worth taking it. Most good techs have three options: Just fix it, I don't care what it costs, fix anything that I said needs to be done and call me about the rest, or look at it and call me before you touch it.
Last edited by fretz86 at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
after looking at your amp, thats your problem

I knew I was going to get that lol, that's why I left that part out. Yes Line 6's spider series is laughable, at best. I've had that amp longer than my Les Paul. But no matter how expensive of an amp I have, that won't hide the fact that the wiring on the guitar is probably messed up, and that sure as hell doesn't explain my intonation issues. My B string is also very twangy for some reason. It always has been. I've played my guitar on a few upper end amps, and I have the same issues as I do on my spider. I know the amp is awful, but this thread pertains to my guitar, theres not much I can do about the amp other than get a new one (which I'm currently saving for).
Quote by Anthony1991
This is why i dont buy les pauls, not only does it make you a conformist *****, there just bad overall.

And as for that, I've played some of Gibson's Les Pauls. They're quite far from "bad" actually. As for conformity, there's a very good reason that people play Les Pauls. USUALLY they sound pretty damn good for types of music that require more dynamic sounds. I like the warm, deep tone that you can get with a good Les Paul. If I tried to play Megadeth or Van Halen on it, you would be correct, awful tone for that type of music. Not so for classic rock or some grungy stuff.
if GC had sold the guitar i had hand picked out i would've ****ing FLIPPED. idiots. i did a very similar thing with my les paul, i chose it over about 15 other guitars that i had found and i knew it was the only one that was right, and if those mother ****ers had sold it i'd probably had burned the store down

Quote by Anthony1991

you fail so hard. SO hard.

everything about your post is wrong, right down to the grammar. that's just a complete demolition of correctness.

conformist...

if you judge how "conformist" a guitar is before you buy it, you're a total loser.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 29, 2009,
Yeah I was pretty upset, I asked for my money back but apparently once you put it down, you can't get it back. And that was about 100 dollars, so I wasn't about to just say fck it and leave.
TS i know you said you didnt want to spend a crap load of money on getting it setup but you do know that that will solve all your problems, right? Take it to a local shop with employees who actual give a crap for its customers, trust me, they get the job done right.
Man, you really should have a REAL guitar shop set your guitar up. You can get them done much cheaper than 100 bucks. And it will do wonders. Blame the tone on your amp, and i think that should really fix your problems. And hey, At least she looks good!
The wording in the first post (10 months to pay off, no brand mentioned) led me to believe that TS had bought a Gibson Custom, in which case he had every right to be very frustrated. But you can hardly expect a $500 or so guitar to be set up perfectly with perfect fretwork, let alone when you buy it at GC of all places.
Man, you really should have a REAL guitar shop set your guitar up. You can get them done much cheaper than 100 bucks. And it will do wonders.QUOTE]

Yup, i got my LP setup at a local shop for 40 bucks
Quote by nickdohle
Man, you really should have a REAL guitar shop set your guitar up. You can get them done much cheaper than 100 bucks. And it will do wonders. Blame the tone on your amp, and i think that should really fix your problems. And hey, At least she looks good!

I think I'll take everyone's advice and just give in and get it checked out, and soon too. Before I break something haha.
Quote by stratman7
The wording in the first post (10 months to pay off, no brand mentioned) led me to believe that TS had bought a Gibson Custom, in which case he had every right to be very frustrated. But you can hardly expect a $500 or so guitar to be set up perfectly with perfect fretwork, let alone when you buy it at GC of all places.

Yeah sorry about that.... it's an Epiphone, I thought I had included that but apparently not.
Quote by sickstring11
Yeah sorry about that.... it's an Epiphone, I thought I had included that but apparently not.
That DRAMATICALLY alters the thread. If it'd been a Gibson Custom Shop guitar then you would've had a damned good reason to be disgruntled, but your guitar was chugged out without a second glance in China, these issues are to be expected. You are not going to find quality at that price range. Of course your tone is crap, you're playing a low-range guitar through an amp that is known and accepted, even by its supporters, to sound bad. What was the sense in leaving out that you have a bad amp because you knew we'd say it was your amp? This thread is pointless if you don't want our advice.

Buy a soldering iron and some allen keys and fix your guitar, we have plenty of tutorials here, there's no reason to pay someone else and that way you won't have anyone to blame but yourself if it turns out bad. If you want good tone, sell the Spider and buy something with good tone, we have tutorials for picking and buying amps too. Frankly, you need to lurk more, bro; you're still every bit a "guitar noob".
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by sickstring11
I'm not going to shell out 100's of dollars for a professional setup that should have been done when I first bought the guitar.

if you can't set the guitar up yourself then you definitely need to have it set up. according to who you ask it needs to be done every 6 months to a year. your pickups were reinstalled wrong, the wiring is questionable, and the intonation is off. definitely get it set up.

and it shouldn't be $100. if thats what they charged you to do what they did, take it someplace else.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
A pro setup doesn't cost hundreds of dollars. $50 should get you a full setup with a reputable luthier. That's well worth the price if it lets you use a $700 guitar to its fullest potential, and after that you can learn to do your own setup because you'll know how everything should feel and be set.
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
That DRAMATICALLY alters the thread. If it'd been a Gibson Custom Shop guitar then you would've had a damned good reason to be disgruntled, but your guitar was chugged out without a second glance in China, these issues are to be expected. You are not going to find quality at that price range. Of course your tone is crap, you're playing a low-range guitar through an amp that is known and accepted, even by its supporters, to sound bad. What was the sense in leaving out that you have a bad amp because you knew we'd say it was your amp? This thread is pointless if you don't want our advice.

Buy a soldering iron and some allen keys and fix your guitar, we have plenty of tutorials here, there's no reason to pay someone else and that way you won't have anyone to blame but yourself if it turns out bad. If you want good tone, sell the Spider and buy something with good tone, we have tutorials for picking and buying amps too. Frankly, you need to lurk more, bro; you're still every bit a "guitar noob".

Sorry, I didn't realize I had titled the thread "Douchebags post here please". Despite the spider's notoriety for being poor quality, it isn't that bad. For an affordable solid state amp, its pretty damn nice. And on the clean channel and some lower distortion settings, it's not bad. It's definitely good enough to tell whether or not a guitar has tonal problems contrasted with the capabilities of the amp itself. You're right, I'm not going to get Marshall tube quality tone out of a Line 6 SS amp. However, I'm not quite as daft as you might seem to think. I know when there's an issue with the guitar itself. If you would please read the previous threads you may notice that I've mentioned that I actually have plugged this guitar into some higher quality amps. I've used my guitar on a Peavey Valveking, and Marshall Haze 40, and a couple others. I have the same issues regarding buzzing (presumably something to do with the pickups or wiring) and I still have the same twangy sounding B string. I posted this thread because I wanted suggestions on whether or not I can resolve these problems at home with some simple tweaking. If you're not going to offer any useful advice to me, than my advice to you is to piss off.

EDIT: And I'm sure as hell not going to take advice on tone from a kid who's guitars were all purchased at WalMart.
Last edited by sickstring11 at Oct 2, 2009,
Thanks for the advice guys. I resoldered some of the connections in my wiring, and goofed around with some of the other wires (some of them were kind of close together) and the buzzing seemed to subside at least a tiny bit. I still can't get the intonation right, it's really close, but I'll get it looked at by a guitar shop this week.
Quote by sickstring11
Thanks for the advice guys. I resoldered some of the connections in my wiring, and goofed around with some of the other wires (some of them were kind of close together) and the buzzing seemed to subside at least a tiny bit. I still can't get the intonation right, it's really close, but I'll get it looked at by a guitar shop this week.

I saw you live in Seymour,WI. Take a drive down to Chain o Lakes guitars in Wapauaca, he does amazing set ups.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by sickstring11
I'm quite as daft as you might seem to think.
Best clerical error ever.
Quote by sickstring11
And I'm sure as hell not going to take advice on tone from a kid who's guitars were all purchased at WalMart.
See, I'm an expert on ****ty tone.
Quote by sickstring11
I know when there's an issue with the guitar itself.
Which is why you should read some tutorials and fix it instead of paying some sod to do what you could've just-as-easily have done, goober. Ruling out the amp, you're probably not going to get away from the buzz without changing the pickups. I've found Duncan JBs going on eBay for ~$30, you should look into it. Could be the grounding as well. If redoing that doesn't help, it's possible that your house isn't grounded right, thus the outlets in it, your amp, and your guitar aren't either, as I recently found out mine isn't. Or it's the pickups.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by sickstring11
Sorry, I didn't realize I had titled the thread "Douchebags post here please". Despite the spider's notoriety for being poor quality, it isn't that bad. For an affordable solid state amp, its pretty damn nice. And on the clean channel and some lower distortion settings, it's not bad. It's definitely good enough to tell whether or not a guitar has tonal problems contrasted with the capabilities of the amp itself. You're right, I'm not going to get Marshall tube quality tone out of a Line 6 SS amp. However, I'm quite as daft as you might seem to think. I know when there's an issue with the guitar itself. If you would please read the previous threads you may notice that I've mentioned that I actually have plugged this guitar into some higher quality amps. I've used my guitar on a Peavey Valveking, and Marshall Haze 40, and a couple others. I have the same issues regarding buzzing (presumably something to do with the pickups or wiring) and I still have the same twangy sounding B string. I posted this thread because I wanted suggestions on whether or not I can resolve these problems at home with some simple tweaking. If you're not going to offer any useful advice to me, than my advice to you is to piss off.

EDIT: And I'm sure as hell not going to take advice on tone from a kid who's guitars were all purchased at WalMart.

The spider is still the problem. My EJ strat buzzes through my spider, which is why I bought a Pocket Pod as it relieved some of that and I got better tones. No one said you would get a Marshall tube quality out of an SS, and I don't know why people automatically throw Marshall into the mix of that. Just say that you won't get tube quality sound.

For your last comment that you edited in. It doesn't matter where you get the guitar from, it doesn't affect your knowledge at all. Just means that you either A) don't see the need to upgrade right now B) starting out or C) actually like the guitar. Squiers are not bad guitars, they're actually improving in quality. You also have no room to talk either, since you don't have the greatest setup either.

As for the topic, learn how to setup your own guitar, and fix anything you need fixed yourself. It'll save you money, and you'll learn more about guitars in general. Not mentioning that it was an Epiphone and what your amp was in the first posts was also stupid of you. If you want help, you have to list every possible thing that might be the problem, even if you already eliminated those.