So i received my Epi LP in a trade..and it suits me just fine! The guy I got it from got it from a friend who had installed the Duncan Distortion in the Bridge & a DiMarzio Humbucker form hell in the Neck. Well, when my toggle switch is set to LEAD, the TOP tone/control knobs (normally for bridge) control the pickup. And when I switch to RHYTHM, the bottom 2 knobs control the pickup, but the bottom tone knob shows NO change when turned, as if perhaps a wire is not connected right or soemthing. I hardly ever use my Rhythm setting, so it doesn't bother me...but I'm wondering which of the 2 pickups am I actually hearing when playing.

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Easy way to check is to flip the pickup switch onto the bridge or neck pickup and tap each pickup with your pick (or something similar). If it's on the neck pickup, tapping the neck pickup should give you a sound through the amp. And the same for the bridge pickup.
Tap one with something metal while guitar is plugged in and it should buzz or hum or make a high pitched noise. Then you will know what setting controls what PU.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
ok ya. I did forget to mention that, my mistake. When the switch is on LEAD and i have turned to 0 the bottom knobs, my Duncan pup makes a clacking noise, so im using that one. I jsut havent seen the full potential of the DiMarzio because the tone knob isn't working

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
If it's as you say it's completely ballsed up....the knobs aren't supposed to be in horizontal sets. The top two knobs are BOTH supposed to be volume knobs, the bottom two are tone controls. The two at the front control the neck pickup, the two at the back control the bridge pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If it's as you say it's completely ballsed up....the knobs aren't supposed to be in horizontal sets. The top two knobs are BOTH supposed to be volume knobs, the bottom two are tone controls. The two at the front control the neck pickup, the two at the back control the bridge pickup.
... What? That's not how it is at all.

The standard wiring for Les Pauls means you get this:

Rhythm control = neck pickup
Treble control = bridge pickup
Top front knob = neck volume
Bottom front knob = bridge volume
Top rear knob = neck tone
Bottom rear knob = bridge tone

'Top' = closest to you, as you're looking down at the guitar while playing it.
'Front' = closest to the neck.

If your controls are any different to this, something's gone a bit wrong. Of course there's nothing stopping you from switching them over, but that is the normal LP wiring.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It depends on how you look at it, you're both actually right, Seagull is talking about how the controls are set up if you're looking at the guitar vertically, you're talking about how the controls are located if you're playing the guitar.

The most likely case is that the pickup selector switch got flipped around, either that or the selector ring got turned around if the switch had become loose at any point, whne you're playing the guitar, is it in it's upwards position when you're on your neck pickup? and then flipped down when you're on your bridge?

Also, when you're on "rhythm" is your bridge pickup actually activated? or is it just that the bottom controls are activated? If your top two controls are actually controlling the bridge pickup then it's simply that the person installed pickups on those pots, it's not really a problem, I mean you could change any of this fairly easily. Also, if your tone controls don't work, check the connections on the tone cap going from the volume pot to the tone pot.
Nah, I just got a bit confused by the original post and ended up confusing myself
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com