Didn't really need a new thread for this to be honest, especially when the true fact (as first post in last thread stated) it's your money, you don't have to justify it.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
"Why do you need a new amp?"
Cuz the other 2 suck
and
"What is an appropriate amp for your level?"
50w max
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Well, how long have you been playing and what do you play?

Also, as you get better your equipment could start to let you down if you start of with some really crappy amp.
If you already have a very decent tube amp then you really dont need to get new amps. But people always want to try out something new, so they always get newer equipment. It comes with being a dedicated guitar player.
I don't know what grade 5 level means, want to put that in layman's terms?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Whats wrong with the Hayden Mofo that you have on order?

Also nice to see a fellow MLF'er on UG

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
wtf is with these people saying i play grade # level? what the hell does that mean?!

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Metallica1554
He can play 5 notes consecutively

and survive.

Holy shít!! Really?!?!

For those who didn't read your original thread, what is it exactly you're asking? It's not clear.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
so, I've been playing 5 years, I play grade 5 level, what is appropriate?

Well, what's appropriate in terms of wattage depends on if you need it for home use only, or if you jam with friends or maybe play in a band.

What's appropriate in terms of quality - pfft, you buy the best amp for your money, speaking of which - how much do YOU think you want to spend.

There's a lot of very fine amps under 500 bucks, especially if you get a used one. There's even more fine amps above that budget of course. It also depends on what styles of music you play.

So:
Is the amp for home use/band use?
How much can you spend?
Are used amps an option?
What music do you play?
Also, where are you located?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 29, 2009,
Crank both amps in her room while she is sleeping.
When she wakes up and shouts "That's terrible!" you say "That's why I need a better amp".

Or you just tell her that she has no idea and knowledge about guitars and amps and that you know what you do. Also it's your money and she has to respect that.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Crank both amps in her room while she is sleeping.
When she wakes up and shouts "That's terrible!" you say "That's why I need a better amp".

Or you just tell her that she has no idea and knowledge about guitars and amps and that you know what you do. Also it's your money and she has to respect that.

While it sounds good, I wouldn't do this. Insulting your parents isn't a good way to gain their respect.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What about taking your mom to the guitar store and show her the difference between a good amp and your amps?

Maybe it works, but maybe she won't hear any difference and that wouldn't be helpful.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
First, come at it appropriately.

Second, get rid of your two amps, craigslist, pawnshop, whatever.

Then come up with several analagies to the situation. Basically, you can't (shouldn't anyway) show up to nascar with a Yugo. Try to steer her to come to the understanding that amps are not the same. In the manor of thinking that while space shuttles and mopeds are both vehicles, you can drive a moped for a lifetime and you still won't know **** about a space shuttle.

It worked for me.

On selection, who knows. IMO, The cheap POS that is really awsome is the Vypyr. The Vox Valvetronix is the absolute best if you can deal with modelling amps. The Blackheart is "yesterday's news" but still great little amps. And the Blackstar is the feature rich "omg I pooped myself" model.

I know nothing about nothing, so ignore all of this.
Reasons: Great sounding amps are motivation and inspiration for playing, amps make a huge difference in your sound. My mom knows nothing about music but how to change the radio station but she can hear the difference b/t a Tiny Terror and a JCM 800. Maybe an A/B comparison would be a good way to go about it. When I was a kid I got my red strat out of my dad by playing the Star Spangled banner with some distortion at the pawn shop b/c the Hendrix version is one of his favorite songs. Maybe playing something they like during this A/B would be a good way to go.
Compared the Epitone Valve Junior to the Blackheart! She will see the difference easily with just youtube videos.

+1 on the inspiration thing. Also, play the "I was young and foolish" card for buying the crap amps.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
OK, so I breached the topic of a new amp with my parents - my mums reaction was
"Why do you need a new amp?"
and
"What is an appropriate amp for your level?"

she dosen't understand guitarists

anyway, I'm paying myself, can anyone answer those questions and justify my purchase?

Take her into guitar center, sit her between a Bogner Alchemist (or whatever amp you want, this is just the one I used) and stick whatever amp you're using (or the closest thing - I used a Marshall MG4 practice combo) right next to it. Flat the EQ's and switch back and forth until she gets it. I did this to demonstrate the superiority of tube amps (Cheating, I know, but still ), but it should work for this.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, what's appropriate in terms of wattage depends on if you need it for home use only, or if you jam with friends or maybe play in a band.

What's appropriate in terms of quality - pfft, you buy the best amp for your money, speaking of which - how much do YOU think you want to spend.

There's a lot of very fine amps under 500 bucks, especially if you get a used one. There's even more fine amps above that budget of course. It also depends on what styles of music you play.

So:
Is the amp for home use/band use?
How much can you spend?
Are used amps an option?
What music do you play?
Also, where are you located?
+1

I like the way you say "on order" in your signature.

Unless you have a cool mum, she won't understand, or care to understand, why and what makes a good amplifier.
But still, buy her a book on gardening. Ask her about it. Be interested. Wait for her to show signs of interest in your hobbies. Do something for her. Mums aren't these evil creatures who hate everything you love.