I have been reading alot about how tube amps work.
My at112 sounds pretty damn good at low volume as it is. i havent got to crank it at practice yet though.

I was wondering..

the effects loop has an input volume control and an output volume control.
If i run my eq pedal through the effects loop, and cut the loop's volume's down low, would that allow me to crank the amp up and get the tubes hotter?
I dont see why it wont work, but I do not want to mess anything up.

thanks!
Effects loop attenuation is the same as a bad master volume control. Any decent post phase inverter master volume will be better at getting the tubes cooking at lower volumes.
Using an EQ in the loop can help you EQ the preamp OD a little better, but the master volume is there for a reason.
my amp has no master volume, just a volume for each channel.

My eq pedal does have a volume slider, and theres the effects loop volumes.. (why is there 2 anyway? input vol, and output vol? in effects loop)

and are there any solutions other than the $300 hot plates?..ugh

or like 311Z said..maybe a volume pedal turned down acting as a master?
seems simular to the eq pedals volume control though, and the effects loops volumes however.
With no master volume on the amp, any volume control in the effects loop will act almost like a master volume. You'll be able to crank the PREamp tubes, NOT the power tubes.

It's a little improvement, I do it with my C30, works pretty well.

There are 4 places distortion comes from.

1. Pedals
2. Preamp tubes
3. Poweramp tubes
4. Speaker

With the volume control in the effects loop, you can add the Preamp Tube Distortion.
It will be better than without it, but still not quite the "Cranked Tube Tone".

A true attenuator (between the Power Amp and Speaker) is the most effective way to get Cranked Tube tone. That allows you to crank Both preamp and power amp tubes. But even then it's still missing the Speaker's Distortion.

The only way to get TRUE Cranked Tone is to actually crank it.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1
With no master volume on the amp, any volume control in the effects loop will act almost like a master volume. You'll be able to crank the PREamp tubes, NOT the power tubes.

It's a little improvement, I do it with my C30, works pretty well.

There are 4 places distortion comes from.

1. Pedals
2. Preamp tubes
3. Poweramp tubes
4. Speaker

With the volume control in the effects loop, you can add the Preamp Tube Distortion.
It will be better than without it, but still not quite the "Cranked Tube Tone".

A true attenuator (between the Power Amp and Speaker) is the most effective way to get Cranked Tube tone. That allows you to crank Both preamp and power amp tubes. But even then it's still missing the Speaker's Distortion.

The only way to get TRUE Cranked Tone is to actually crank it.

This is true. A lot of people ignore speaker distortion in the cranked tone equation. However, if you have an overpowered speaker with double or more the clean wattage of your amp, then your speaker will never distort even if the amp is dimed. I would hazard a guess that many entry-level tube amp's speakers have rather high wattage; my 15 watt amp came with an 80 watt speaker for example. If that's the case for you, you may not have to worry about eliminating speaker distortion with an attenuator unless you decide to swap speakers down the road.
I see..
thanks for the clarification.
so another question. An attenuator would be plaecd in the effects loop correct? so how would it be between power amp and speaker when the others would not?

not doubting you guys at all...just trying to understand..
thanks!

edit: Also...if I run an external speaker (cab) and use the volume on the external speaker output...that would be between power amp and speakers would it not?

confusing.. miss my MG.....

not...
Last edited by Cisc at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by Cisc
I see..
thanks for the clarification.
so another question. An attenuator would be plaecd in the effects loop correct? so how would it be between power amp and speaker when the others would not?

not doubting you guys at all...just trying to understand..
thanks!

edit: Also...if I run an external speaker (cab) and use the volume on the external speaker output...that would be between power amp and speakers would it not?

confusing.. miss my MG.....

not...

No an attenuater does NOT go in the effects loop.

you take the wires that go from the amp to the speaker, disconnect it from the speaker. Connect that to the Attenuator, then another wire goes from the attenuator to the speaker.

and NO, don't put anything like a volume box on the speaker output other than a speaker.
I'm not an electrician so I don't know the exact terms, but the power coming out of the Speaker output is too powerfull for a volume box. it will fry it and probably also the amp.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1

and NO, don't put anything like a volume box on the speaker output other than a speaker.
I'm not an electrician so I don't know the exact terms, but the power coming out of the Speaker output is too powerfull for a volume box. it will fry it and probably also the amp.

it is already there..the line out volume.
wonder if that would allow the power tubes to heat up if I turn it down some