basically i want to see how many genres and sub genre and sub sub genres of metal you can name, i think its gotten stupid with how many there are so yeah if you can think off any please list them, i want to see how many we can get. thanks
Lol, nah.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by webbtje
I can name 537!

No Wai!!

I bow before you, oh seer of the trve kvlt metal knowledge
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Metallic metal
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Black metal
Death metal
Doom metal
Drone metal
Folk metal
Glam metal
Gothic metal
Groove metal
Industrial metal
Metalcore
Neo-classical metal
Nu metal
Post-metal
Power metal
Progressive metal
Sludge metal
Speed metal
Stoner metal
Thrash metal
Quote by guitarhero_764
Black metal
Death metal
Doom metal
Drone metal
Folk metal
Glam metal
Gothic metal
Groove metal
Industrial metal
Metalcore
Neo-classical metal
Nu metal
Post-metal
Power metal
Progressive metal
Sludge metal
Speed metal
Stoner metal
Thrash metal

Folk Metal
Pagan Metal
Black Metal
Melodic Black Metal
Depressing Black Metal
Symphonic Black Metal
Viking Metal

I'm too lazy to think of more.
Where are people getting these 'genres' from? Some of the Sub-sub-genres I can understand, but half of the sub-genres are rather bollocks. Pagan metal and viking metal? Since when did genres get their names from lyrical content? Shred metal? I'm yet to hear a metal song with shredding that doesn't come under another genre more prominently.

And neo-classical, well don't get me started on neo-classical. Most inappropriately named thing in metal.
Quote by Taydr
Where are people getting these 'genres' from? Some of the Sub-sub-genres I can understand, but half of the sub-genres are rather bollocks. Pagan metal and viking metal? Since when did genres get their names from lyrical content? Shred metal? I'm yet to hear a metal song with shredding that doesn't come under another genre more prominently.

And neo-classical, well don't get me started on neo-classical. Most inappropriately named thing in metal.

Neo-classical metal and shred are basically synonymous nowadays. And you're right about pagan, viking and pirate metal. They're unnecessary, it's all folk metal. Most of the other genre names are mandatory though, I don't know why people are so set on removing genres altogether, they're necessary to keep our little metal world clean and organized.
Quote by Sóknardalr
Neo-classical metal and shred are basically synonymous nowadays. And you're right about pagan, viking and pirate metal. They're unnecessary, it's all folk metal. Most of the other genre names are mandatory though, I don't know why people are so set on removing genres altogether, they're necessary to keep our little metal world clean and organized.

Agreed. I think it's cool that you can have such a variety in one aweomse genre of music. It's also highly necessary to have these sub-divisions so as that you don't get the other community members all butt hurt cause you spoke of another band that doesn't quite meet the standards of their particular brand.

Honestly though, If I'm trying to find out about my particular breed I don't want someone clogging up the lines talking about how awesome godsmack is.

With that said when is metalcore going to get their own sub forum? Hardcore doesn't really want us and neither do the true metal l33t. It's annoying only having a single thread to post in.
think of it less as a sub-genre and terms such as "black", "death", "doom" as adjectives.
using these synonimous words gives you good indiction as to what a band is going to sound like.
if i a band describes themselves as Satanic Death-Doom Power Metal you know they will probably have thick, bass heavy sounding, slow paced sound with satanic lyrics.
as many prefixes you can get, the better IMO
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

Quote by Sóknardalr

Well pirate/pagan/viking aren't necessarily folk, just mostly. I agree that we need genres, but there has to be a limit as to what can be considered a basis for a new genre, and lyrical content is a bloody stupid thing to base an entire genre on.

I also agree that neo-classical and shred are synonymous, but I very much disagree with it being called neo-classical. Being that neo-classicism was a movement in the 20th century based on returning to the ideals and forms of Classical period art music. Even if you take it as the common definition of classical, still very little of it tries to return to the ideals or forms of any period.

Quote by destöroyah
think of it less as a sub-genre and terms such as "black", "death", "doom" as adjectives.
using these synonimous words gives you good indiction as to what a band is going to sound like.
if i a band describes themselves as Satanic Death-Doom Power Metal you know they will probably have thick, bass heavy sounding, slow paced sound with satanic lyrics.
as many prefixes you can get, the better IMO

To a degree I agree. Going too far with the prefixes is just stupid though.
Last edited by Taydr at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by buddyboombotz
Don't forget Rap-Metal

Rap Metal is a name for assholes who didn't know Nu Metal already served its purposes.
Industrial Metal
Scandinavian Nu Metal
Vegetarian Progressive Grindcore
Black Metal
Super Black Metal
...and lounge
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Industrial Metal