Hi

i need some beginner tips for playing MeloDeath metal.
i need some song suggestions, practice guides etc.

BTW i think this would be a problem for my playing so here it is.....
i NEVER use my pinky when playing guitar. its hard to play when i use my pinky...... i always thought my pinky is a weak bendy unusable stick.

so do you have any tips to strenghten my finger strength?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Well, there are finger strengtheners out there, I've seem them at athletic stores like Scheels in the Rock climbing sections, Guitarists have been know to use them.
As for tips, don't learn one type of music...
All the good MeloDethmetal guitarists you probably listen to don't JUST play MeloMetal, The good guitarists out there can do what they want, and how they want using different styles of playing from Blues, Rock, and metal.
Play some At the Gates, Carcass, Dark Tranquillity, etc.

It's probably best to learn to use your pinky, but you don't absolutely have to if you can find a comfortable way of doing it without. It's good to have that extra finger in there, though.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
^ ^i played Classic rock, some blues, Hard Rock and Trash.
im getting in to some MeloDeath like Children of bodom, In Flames etc.

^ so using your pinky is just an option?
my friend said that playing Shred/melo-death with just 3 fingers would be a bitch
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Sep 29, 2009,
As far as your pinky goes, the best thing you can do is to start using it everywhere. It's another finger just like your others. I have some exercises I found in a mod's post which could seriously help your playing, I suggest downloading the exercises provided in this thread and doing a bit of everything.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091788&highlight=exercises
Good luck with your playing!

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ so using your pinky is just an option?
my friend said that playing Shred/melo-death with just 3 fingers would be a bitch

Good luck with shred without your pinky, haha.

You're going to come across parts where you have to use your pinky no matter what, so it's good to get used to using it now, so you don't struggle with it later.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Use your pinky as much as you can. It's your smallest finger so naturally it's the weakest and you have to really work at it to get it strong enough to play fast shred stuff. One thing you could do is trills. A great and very grueling trill would be to trill for 1 minute straight on fret 7 and 9 with only your ring finger and pinky. Do that as part of your warm up. Your pinky will be noticeably stronger in no time.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Use your pinky as much as you can. It's your smallest finger so naturally it's the weakest and you have to really work at it to get it strong enough to play fast shred stuff. One thing you could do is trills. A great and very grueling trill would be to trill for 1 minute straight on fret 7 and 9 with only your ring finger and pinky. Do that as part of your warm up. Your pinky will be noticeably stronger in no time.

holy crap that hurt ...

but oh so good

i believe i'll incorporate that exercise
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
use your pinky, just start doing excersizes with it, like pull-offs or hammerons with your pinky, and it'll get stronger over time
Quote by diofan88
holy crap that hurt ...

but oh so good

i believe i'll incorporate that exercise

That's pretty much what I said the first time I did it. After a while it becomes a bit of an addiction. I love pushing my fingers to the very limit before I even do scales. When I first did that trill, it felt like my pinky was going to fall off. Then I started to trill between all my fingers and then back to my ring finger and pinky. Before I knew it, I had been trilling for over an hour. After a while it becomes easier and you should probably increase the time. I'm doing it for about 2-2.5 minutes straight now. It will really warm up your hands.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
^What he said.
Also, learn how to harmonize. Common in Melodeath, and awesome fun too!!

Good bands:
Kalmah
Dark Tranquility(select stuff)
Norther
Wintersun
Edge of Sanity
The Absence-Riders of the Plague
The Duskfall
Ensiferum(?????)
Insomnium
In Flames(Older stuff)
I'll edit my message later to add any more bands i remember...
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Sep 30, 2009,
Just start using your pinky.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i dont mean to boast or anything, but I developed a strong independant pinky from bending strings just using the pinky. eventually your pinky gets stronger. you could try that?
Quote by Arterial
i dont mean to boast or anything, but I developed a strong independant pinky from bending strings just using the pinky. eventually your pinky gets stronger. you could try that?

Haha I bend with my pinky from time to time. Trust me that **** takes practice to get good at, and its not easy, and I am in no way an expert at it so I only do it occassionally. But damn does that build some serious strength. Along with the trill excercise Junior#1 suggested, you'll have your pinky up and running strong in no time.

But yeah TS i think by now you get that the only way for your pinky to get stronger is to consistantly use it every single time you play.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by steven seagull
Just start using your pinky.

Pretty much what he's saying. Incorporate it where you normally don't, or play exercises that require it.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
how do you trill?
feel free to add me
Reapeated hammer on then pull off of two notes quickly, ie: 5h6p5h6p5h6p5h6
Last edited by DimeGates at Sep 30, 2009,
Are you Alfred's little brother? You've been on here for over a year and you dont know what a trill is?
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
Are you Alfred's little brother? You've been on here for over a year and you dont know what a trill is?

i am Al.

my bro doesnt have a UG Account... and im a n00b at this so sorry.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i am Al.

my bro doesnt have a UG Account... and im a n00b at this so sorry.

I must say thats a suprise seeing as you know so much about gear. All I can say for learning is try to learn some songs by bands who play melodeath. Practice with your pinky as much as possible and just play in general.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
I must say thats a suprise seeing as you know so much about gear. All I can say for learning is try to learn some songs by bands who play melodeath. Practice with your pinky as much as possible and just play in general.

i try gear even tho i have sh*tty guitar skills
feel free to add me
Yes, deff use your pinky. You will never be as great as you really want to be without using that little guy. I mean it's there so just get used to using it.

From someone else who can play some CoB, you WILL need your pinky, there is no playing CoB leads without out.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ