My strat has intonation trouble with the b and high e strings. The guitar was set up (not well) by a guitar center technician. All other strings are intonation well besides these two. I have tried moving the saddles up very far, but I would need to move them farther than the screw will allow me in order to get the 12th fret harmonic close to the string pushed down on the 12th fret. Both strings are flat but the b string is very flat.

here's what it looks like
http://img27.imageshack.us/i/0929091900.jpg/

Also, the action is a little lower on the last two strings to compensate for the radius (9.5 I believe). It is a few mm lower which seems significantly different compared to the other strings...

Please help! I'm not sure what to do now.
is the bridge flush with the body?

are the strings brand new?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by David Collins
Just to clarify - your fretted 12th pitch is still flat when the open string is in tune? The way you wrote it almost sounds like you are thinking you should try to adjust the harmonic, using the fretted note as reference, which would be quite backward.

the bridge is against the body and the strings have been used but not worn down. and yes, when the strings are fretted at the 12th, it sounds flat compared to the harmonic at the 12th.
Quote by twinkle_toes321
the bridge is against the body and the strings have been used but not worn down. and yes, when the strings are fretted at the 12th, it sounds flat compared to the harmonic at the 12th.

"The strings have been used but not worn down" ---- This isnt very clear. How old are they?

You only adjust the intonation on new strings that have been stretched properly.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by twinkle_toes321

if you want to intonate, and the strings are more than a few weeks, swap your strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Get lighter gauge strings, it will make the bridge flush with the body. Trust me it works. Get like size 9's.
Gear:

Guitar: Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Piano: Yamaha EA

Microphone: CAD U37
Quote by Neonkovala
Get lighter gauge strings, it will make the bridge flush with the body. Trust me it works. Get like size 9's.

if you want the bridge to be flush you tighten the springs in the back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Neonkovala

Its a strat it most likely came with 9's as stock ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

the springs in the back were tightened during the set up, and I have been using 9s. I'll try brand new strings and see if that makes a difference.

So a guitar can lose intonation when the strings get worn down? Why doesn't this happen on a piano or an acoustic guitar?
Quote by twinkle_toes321
the springs in the back were tightened during the set up, and I have been using 9s. I'll try brand new strings and see if that makes a difference.

So a guitar can lose intonation when the strings get worn down? Why doesn't this happen on a piano or an acoustic guitar?

It does happen on piano's and accoustic guitars

Piano tuners adjust the strings at the back (in case of a traditional piano)

On Accoustic guitars you need to adjust the bridge saddle by moving it back and forth. Although this requires you to mod the bridge. ie make the hole for the saddle wider.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka