Well my friend recently started playing guitar and I decided to give him free get up on feet lessons. Well when we started off with strumming, he wasn't bad at it at all knowing some stuff he taught him self such as strumming with dynamics and on beat.

But when it came to his fretting..... Damn it was bad as his fingers looked so darn wobbly like he was going to let go of the neck. When I was going to teach him the opening chords in back in black, he was constanly freting the wrong notes (btw he knew what notes to fret just he was missing them completely) . Then I ask him from complete curiousty "What hand do you write with." Embarrassingly enough he says his left hand

When reading this you are already saying to your self "Just tell him to get a lefty". Well I did and then I remembered he already had a guitar (His grandfather bought it for him a while ago) a Made in Japan Yamaha SGB-500 .(Les Paul Characteristics and SG design)

So should I tell him to go left handed or let him continue playing righty even with the thought in mind.
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Last edited by Felttoaster at Sep 29, 2009,
Tell him to flip the stings and go Hendrix style
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Let him stay righty. There are more/better guitars for right handers.We all start out badly.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Quote by job153
Tell him to flip the stings and go Hendrix style

Lol, That would be awesome but

I dont think he knows who hendrix's is as he is one of those guitar hero guitarist who only like Angus Young and Slash
Fender Telecaster
Last edited by Felttoaster at Sep 29, 2009,
If he's already started playing this way I don't think its anymore advantageous to switch. You said he hasn't been playing that long. He was probably trying to transition faster then he can because he was playing in front of you and of course he's gonna hit wrong notes then.

When you think about it writing is a more similar motion to picking than it is to fretting. In the long run he might be better off playing this way. I really don't think it matters though, its all practice anyways.
A friend of mine went through the same thing when he first learned guitar. Try the lefty flip, but if it doesn't seem to fix his problems right away, stick with playing righty. That's what my friend did.
Quote by yoduh4077
A friend of mine went through the same thing when he first learned guitar. Try the lefty flip, but if it doesn't seem to fix his problems right away, stick with playing righty. That's what my friend did.

How long would you say it look your friend to play something on the skill level of Back In Black
Fender Telecaster
im left handed and play right handed. its working fine for me and although i still try leftie every once in a while just to check but i couldnt imagine playing left handed. it feels completely forigen to me. you should let him try playing leftie (at a shop with a guitar youre only pretending to buy if you have to) and let him decide what feels more comfortable for himself before he gets too much righty experience to blur his decision. and dont forget how bad we all sucked when we first picked up the guitar. the things you describe are pretty normal for somebody just starting. i dont think it really matters as much as people make it out to be anyway. one hand will always be more dexterious than the other but when playing guitar you need to have precice control over both hands at the same time and i dont see why one hand would necessarily be better at one side or the other on a guitar.
I'm a lefty and I play lefty. I tried right handed and from the start, it never felt right to me. As soon as I started playing left handed, it felt more natural, so I stuck with it. Ya, my selection of guitar is more limited, but I went with what I felt comfortable. I agree with the comment above, take him to a music store and let him try and few lefty and righty guitars and see what feels comfortable for him. If he gets into it, and can't find a good lefty guitar in a few years, he can always visit the GB&C thread and learn how to make one. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
I'm a lefty and I play lefty. I tried right handed and from the start, it never felt right to me. As soon as I started playing left handed, it felt more natural, so I stuck with it. Ya, my selection of guitar is more limited, but I went with what I felt comfortable. I agree with the comment above, take him to a music store and let him try and few lefty and righty guitars and see what feels comfortable for him. If he gets into it, and can't find a good lefty guitar in a few years, he can always visit the GB&C thread and learn how to make one. lol.

This is a very good response and funny enough he is one of those build it your self work with wood type of people too.
Fender Telecaster
Eh, let him stay righty. I'm a lefty playing righty, and I was pretty terrible at first. It's just practice, and it's damn good practice. Although if he is lefty playing righty, I would've thought he would be having trouble with strumming and such, not fretting, since his left hand should be stronger and more dexterous. Oh well.
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
Quote by Felttoaster
How long would you say it look your friend to play something on the skill level of Back In Black

Sorry for the super slow response, didn't think I'd get a reply.

Also, he's 20-something years older than me, so I have no clue. Sorry, brah.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
People tend to forget that everybody starts out god-awful....I doubt he's at any major disadvantage by playing righty. If I try to play a guitar left handed it just feels exactly how I remember it did when I first started.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm a lefty who plays righty. I actually find it easier because I find it harder to fret with my right hand than it is with my left hand.
Get him to learn how to do both. It can really expand playability options, and maybe one day he can try some Micheal Angelo Batio stuff lol
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
If he's got more than one guitar, then string one up lefty and try both. If he's better at, or prefers lefty... ...then so be it.
i play right handed and write with my left and think its easier as i have more control of my left hand