Page 1 of 2
Ok, so, I have another of my Great-Grandpa's guitars to fix. This one has a Strat type body, and there are many things wrong with it.

I want to re-wire everything because it is so old and falling apart. I am a complete noob at wiring, and need some help.

Ok, here is what it looks like:

Everything is wired through the pickguard, as seen here:

Here are the pots, outut jack, and switch. I know how to replace the output jack, and to install the pots, but I have no idea how to wire them. The current pots are 100k, and I was going to switch each one out with 250k pots. Is that ok?

Ok, here is a pic of the back of the two white switches. These switches are what determines if each pickup is On or Off, so I'm not really sure what the little black switch on the guitar actually does.

Here is a close-up of the little black switch on the front:

Here is the back of the white pickup On Off switches

There is a small wire protruding from what looks like under the bridge. It may be the ground? I don't know. Anyways. when I took the pickguard off, it wasn't connected to anything, so that may be why the guitar wasn't working in the first place.

And lastly, attached to the underside of each pickup there are little foam pieces that are falling apart due to their age. I was just wondering, where do I get some new ones, and how do I attach them? (I'm not really sure what they are for.)

If anyone can help me with how to wire this thing, that would be great. And please don't ask me to read the Ultimate Wiring Thread. I have multiple times. I was oping to install the new output jack and pots tonight. Swapping the 100k's into 250k's is ok, right? Thanks!
Last edited by odstwarhead at Sep 29, 2009,
It looks like an old '60's Teisco. PM Jim, he can probably help you out.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Take a good picture of the wiring before you start. Then replace what you are going to, and rewire it back the way it was. I'd replace all the wire. For the foam just find a piece of foam and cut it to the size you need. They are just there to keep the pickups stable.
my great grandpa had a guitar just like that but i never knew what it was. thanks bv310
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX
Eleca Les Paul
Esteban Acoustic/Electric Steel String
60's model Univox Electric 12-String
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Dunlop MXR Wylde Overdrive
Esteban G-10 Amp
Dean Markley K-50 Amp
It's not a Teisco, it is a Kent.

and as for the pots, I'm ok on switching them?

EDT: Apparently, Kent is made by Teisco... Or vice versa...?
Last edited by odstwarhead at Sep 29, 2009,
So Jim, can you help me answer those questions I have about changing things out?
Quote by savage94
put the guitar in a big bin and light a yellow smoke bomb at the bottom and put the lid on. i think it should work.
The black switch is a killswitch.

The foam is to help hold up the pups. You don't need it if the pups mount to the pickguard.

You can change pot values. In fact, 250k would prolly sound better. Much less muddy.

I'll get you a diagram later tonight. I'm at school atm.
I'm thinking the foam was to suspend the pickups at the required height. nothing a standard pickup screw or two can't do.

(rhymerhymerhyme)
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by Invader Jim
The black switch is a killswitch.

The foam is to help hold up the pups. You don't need it if the pups mount to the pickguard.

You can change pot values. In fact, 250k would prolly sound better. Much less muddy.

I'll get you a diagram later tonight. I'm at school atm.

Thank you very much, Jim.

Another Question, it looks like one of the Pots is completely unused... I have no idea why.

EDIT: And what of the wire protruding from under the bridge?
Quote by savage94
put the guitar in a big bin and light a yellow smoke bomb at the bottom and put the lid on. i think it should work.
Last edited by odstwarhead at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by odstwarhead
Thank you very much, Jim.

Another Question, it looks like one of the Pots is completely unused... I have no idea why.

EDIT: And what of the wire protruding from under the bridge?

The unused pot is the tone pot. It looks as if they disconnected it. The wire protruding from the bridge is the ground wire.
Quote by Invader Jim
Probably some mistake made by someone who didn't know how to wire it or smt. nbd. You want 1v/1t, 2t, 2v or what?

1v/1t, please.
Quote by savage94
Alright, two questions:
Do I need to keep this thing that is soldered on the old pot:

And the things labeled"uF" on your diagram, are they what this green thing is?
Quote by savage94
It says 5k on the pot cap...And the cap is only on the pot that wasn't being used. It isn't on the other one.

EDIT: And should I also replace the wires coming out of the pickup (Red and Black)?
Quote by savage94
5k is all it says? capital or lowercase "K"? now that you say that, it could be a resistor. any way you can get a better pic?

edit: it should be done, but not by you. it's a very delicate procedure. I'd be glad to do it for you. I've done it many times, a couple of times for GB&Cers.

If you don't trust me, no biggie.

But it should be done while there's still some wire to work with. I've had pup leads rot away. makes it hard to replace the wires.
Quote by Invader Jim
5k is all it says? capital or lowercase "K"? now that you say that, it could be a resistor. any way you can get a better pic?

edit: it should be done, but not by you. it's a very delicate procedure. I'd be glad to do it for you. I've done it many times, a couple of times for GB&Cers.

If you don't trust me, no biggie.

But it should be done while there's still some wire to work with. I've had pup leads rot away. makes it hard to replace the wires.

Capital K. (Sorry I can't get a better pic, I take them withmy phone)

How much would it cost for you to do that for me? And how long would it take?

And I've run into another problem, The shafts of the pots:

As you can see, the threads of my new pot's shaft are a lot bigger than the old one, causing me to not be able to fit the pot into the old one's hole. The pickguard is made of metal, would I be able to drill that? If so, what size drill bit?
Quote by savage94
Just shipping. It'd take an hour or so.

You can either use a cordless drill or even a tapered reamer if you wanted.

edit: looks about like 3/8". you should measure it yourself.
Quote by Invader Jim
Just shipping. It'd take an hour or so.

You can either use a cordless drill or even a tapered reamer if you wanted.

Ok, I'll talk to my mom to see she'll let me ship them to you, and you wouldn't happen to know what drillbit size I should use, would you (It's an Allparts 250k Pot)?
Quote by savage94
Ok, I can send the pickups to you, I just got to check how much shipping is. If you could PM me where to ship, that would be great.

As for the Resistor(?) What am I going to do with it?
Quote by savage94
Well I cant tell what it is, but you don't have to have it.

If it is a resistor, it just made the pot appear a bit bigger electrically. If it is a cap, it just shunts the highest of the highs to ground.

Basically I mean it's un-needed.
Ok, and as for where to send the pickups?

And I'm just confused as to how to ground things. As I am looking at the old pots, it seems one of the legs(?)(The circle things you connect the wires to) of it is just soldered the the cylindrical part... Does that mean it is grounded? And what should I do with the ground wire running from the bridge?
Quote by savage94
if you ground that casing (cylindrical part), then yes that leg will be grounded. ground all pot and switch casings and the bridge to the sleeve of the jack.

Did you get my PM?
Oh, I found the PM. I didn't know that the UG website PMs didn't show up on the forums.

How do you ground the casing?
Quote by savage94
Last edited by odstwarhead at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by odstwarhead
Oh, I found the PM. I didn't know that the UG website PMs didn't show up on the forums.

How do you ground the casing?

You solder a ground to the back of the pot. Your pots, pickups, jack, and bridge all need to be tied to a ground. You can clearly see all the ground points on the schematic Jim sent you on the first page.
Ok, How do I get the ground from bridge to the output jack? It isn't long enough. Should I solder another wire to it to extend it, or should I just remove the bridge and replace the wire altogether?
Quote by savage94
Last edited by odstwarhead at Oct 1, 2009,
I'd say go for the new wire altogether. It's not much work to desolder.

Quote by odstwarhead
Ok, How do I get the ground from bridge to the output jack? It isn't long enough. Should I solder another wire to it to extend it, or should I just remove the bridge and replace the wire altogether?

Either way would work. But removing the bridge and replacing the entire wire would be the best way.
Well, I removed the bridge and found that I cannot replace the wire, so I will just have to solder another wire to it to extend it.
Quote by savage94
Why can't you replace it?

Quote by odstwarhead
Well, I removed the bridge and found that I cannot replace the wire, so I will just have to solder another wire to it to extend it.

You can replace it. All you have to do is cut off the old wire and solder a new one on. But if you can't figure out how, then just extend it.
I know the process of replacing it, but where the actual wire is is the problem. The tunnel drilled for it is way to narrow, and I am just scared that if I take the old wire out, I won't be able to fit a new one in.
Quote by savage94
I feel safer just extending the current wire. I really don't want to risk drilling this old guitar.
Quote by savage94
Ok, new question, while taking one of my only two 250k pots out of the wrapping, it completely fell apart. I have 2 500k pots though, would it be even better to put those in instead?
Quote by savage94
Quote by Invader Jim
Sure. It'll be even moretrebly with 500k. What happened to the 250k?

Well, I was trying to get it out of the Allparts package, and when I got it out, it completely fell apart, and some things were cracked on the inside. The sad part is I have had them for 31 days, and Guitar Center only lets you bring things back within 30 days. So I'm pretty much just screwed out of 6 bucks there.
Quote by savage94
Page 1 of 2