beginner with bunch of questions. help me out recording 2 guitars.rhytmn and lead

i read the FAQ and it just basically discusses the several devices and some techniques but it doesn't cover nothing about recording or ways to record so im posting here.

my current interface is a mackie onyx satellite
im at a beginner at recording and i suck at it
i messed around a few times with programs and interface and im not getting results that i would like to have

ok so im trying to record two guitar parts
1st part rhythm
2nd part lead guitar

i want to be able for the rhythm guitar to be heard and not be drowned by my lead and vice versa so far what i have tried.

1.lower guitar volume through guitar volume knob which is not best way since i can move volume knob occasionally by mistake (by hitting by hand or touching it by mistake)

2.lower the gain on the actual device and record lead with a higher gain so lead is heard more than rhytmn

3. mess with program control of gain and mess with the DB in volume

the thing with this sometimes it works but sometimes it sounds like mush like if all that is sounding at once is coming from one guitar like you cant even distinguish lead and rhythm

my question basically is how can i make my rhytmn and lead guitar sound nice and be distinguishable from each other?

and another question i have is how can i sync stuff better?or what would be a better method this is what im currently doing that doesnt work for me too well

I mute every instrument in guitarpro (i do this so midi sounds and stuff playing doesn't get recorded by microphone and only my guitar gets recorded) and i hit play and i play song

this is order i do it
1. go to tracktion hit record
2.click back on guitarpro then hit play
3.start playing instrument to guitarpro
4.hit stop on guitarpro
5.go to program and hit record again to stop it

then i try getting a backing track to the song if possible or try to export guitarpro playing as .wav and i put it there now my problem is synchronizing since i have time period where i hit record jump to my guitar go to guitarpro and hit play

is chaotic >_<

so any help would be extremely appreciate it or give me some insight or methods in how you guys record

EDIT: wrote on a rsuh and some stuff did not make sense
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Last edited by stefan1988 at Sep 29, 2009,
just line up the guitar parts and backing track in your recording program?

i have tried that and sometimes they are miliseconds or split second apart and i cant get them to sync any better
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
This is all kind of dependent on your genre. I am assuming you are using distortion as it is a pain in the ass to mix properly.

What I have been doing lately is panning both guitar tracks to opposite sides. It fills in your speakers and allows them to feel more full. Some people double up the rhythm guitar on both sides and put the lead down the middle (I have also done this). Studio recording requires more then just the basic tracks (generally) to allow it to sound as full as hearing it live.

I also use Guitar Pro as my backing track/metronome when I record. Fortunately, I record through a preamp out of a different sound card so I can play the file as loudly as necessary and not have it interact with a mic. Prior to having this convenience, though, I would put in some headphones and actually listen to the track. It makes it easier to record properly.

Ultimately, if your track is off; then your recording is off. That is the most simple way to put it. Unless you're not moving the tracks around in your recording interface. Just look at where the sound frequencies begin on your guitar track, then align them with those on your backing track. If you recorded it with proper timing you will be fine.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
What I would do is, if you want a similar tone for lead and rhythm, add some delay to the lead track, just a slight amount and it will stand out more.

Then as someone mentioned before, pan the rhythm guitar to each side (If its just 1 guitar for recording you might want to double it and pan one to each) then put the lead down the centre.

This is a method I used in my recordings on my profile.

As for the syncing time, have you thought about adding a few bars at the start of the guitar pro file with like a drum count in so you do have more time to get to everything?
Quote by stefan1988
i have tried that and sometimes they are miliseconds or split second apart and i cant get them to sync any better

How about you just learn the song and then actually play to the backing track
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
This is all kind of dependent on your genre. I am assuming you are using distortion as it is a pain in the ass to mix properly.

What I have been doing lately is panning both guitar tracks to opposite sides. It fills in your speakers and allows them to feel more full. Some people double up the rhythm guitar on both sides and put the lead down the middle (I have also done this). Studio recording requires more then just the basic tracks (generally) to allow it to sound as full as hearing it live.

I also use Guitar Pro as my backing track/metronome when I record. Fortunately, I record through a preamp out of a different sound card so I can play the file as loudly as necessary and not have it interact with a mic. Prior to having this convenience, though, I would put in some headphones and actually listen to the track. It makes it easier to record properly.

Ultimately, if your track is off; then your recording is off. That is the most simple way to put it. Unless you're not moving the tracks around in your recording interface. Just look at where the sound frequencies begin on your guitar track, then align them with those on your backing track. If you recorded it with proper timing you will be fine.

than you very much for your answer i will try to do the panning and yes im trying to record with distortion and it gets more complicated when i try to add the wah pedla to the equation

What I would do is, if you want a similar tone for lead and rhythm, add some delay to the lead track, just a slight amount and it will stand out more.

Then as someone mentioned before, pan the rhythm guitar to each side (If its just 1 guitar for recording you might want to double it and pan one to each) then put the lead down the centre.

This is a method I used in my recordings on my profile.

As for the syncing time, have you thought about adding a few bars at the start of the guitar pro file with like a drum count in so you do have more time to get to everything?

i have the count down thing that does the 1-2-3-4 before it starts playing so i give myself some time. i will try the delay but i will have to mess around with guitar rig what would be a good setting to set the delay so it just gives it that sound that makes it stand out but doesnt sound like there si too much delay either.

thank you very much for your help guys i will try to mess around with the panning to see if it gives me better results but i will have to try till the weekend or something because with works is kind of chaotic trying to record something and have the time for it

if anybody has any more tips,suggestions or advice im still open to other suggestions
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff

How about you just learn the song and then actually play to the backing track

there are some some songs i know quite well but sometimes i hate that there is more 2-3 guitar parts and i dont feel like learning the whole piece just to give me recording some background music so it sounds nice
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff