Hey everyone,
Does anyone know the specifications of the LED in a ProCo Rat II? I have two of the same pedal now and I'm thinking about giving one a green LED, just for fun, but before I take it apart to investigate, I thought I'd check out all your brains.

Cheers,
Cholas.
for the most part, an LED is an LED if you buy it from smallbear or another company that sells more stuff for guitar/pedals.

ok, thats a huge oversimplification, but in most circuits the LED should work if you change the color. a green LED will have a larger voltage drop than a red LED (almost always) so it will draw less current and be less bright. depending on the exact method of bypass used, it may change the tone of the pedal ever so slightly (ie. if the LED is also used for clipping). i dont think thats the case here, but just kinda letting you know.

other than that general stuff, without a data sheet of each LED i would be hard pressed to tell you more. unless you want more general stuff, i can spew some more of that if you want me to. basicly, if you stick the green LED in there you shouldnt need to change anything and it should work.
Quote by Luxifer
how many pedals actually use clipping led's besides the keeley ds-1?

I could probably name about a 100 or more if I thought about it, ahhaha.

90% of the time the LEDs are internal so you don't see them lighting up (clipping).

TS' LED isn't used for clipping so he can make an easy swap.
Thanks for your help everyone! Nice to know it won't be that hard, haha.

Quote by jof1029
a green LED will have a larger voltage drop than a red LED (almost always) so it will draw less current and be less bright.

Would a blue be more equal in brightness? Or are red LEDs used specifically for their brightness compared to other colours?

jof1029
Last edited by Cholas at Sep 29, 2009,
funnily enough, i have actually been doing a bit of research on a very similar topic. basicly red LED's have a very low voltage drop, which means with the same 9V supply and same current limiting resistor, most other similarly made LEDs will draw less current and not be as bright. however, the human eye sees green light the best, so a green LED may look brighter if it is drawing a slightly smaller current. then blue leds are usually not going to look as bright because they have a larger voltage drop and the eye is less sensitive to blue light.

however, i stuck a white LED in a pedal that is supposed to use a red LED, and that thing is hella bright. white LEDs actually have the largest voltage drop (usually), so it should be kinda dim. however, the LED properties are different and the curve lets it work well with the current it is getting. so basicly, it really depends on the circuit and LED properties. so there shouldnt be any reason that a green LED wouldnt be good or bright enough.
You can put in the Super Bright LED's and the LED's will be brighter than a diffused. They usually have clear plastic. You can always throw a resistor on the LED's + leg to dim the brightness if the SB's are too bright.
^^^This.
Rats already have a resistor on the led, 2k2 according to this schematic.

This resistor value could be increased for dimmer, decreased for brighter.

Yanking it completely will probably pop it, but it might be REALLY bright for an instant!