I must do a research paper due friday. I don't really know how to do one and my teacher said if we dont know how to do one find out... So i must do one on the american government and 2 other governments, u picked uk and aussie.

Do you guys know how to create an effective paper that will be a good grade? i have lots of trouble making my outline.
Use Da Cheeseburger Dawg.

A Bun:
1 point
2 point
3 point

Meat n' Cheese:
1 point
2 point
3 point

Condiments:
1 point
2 point
3 point

Bottom Bun:
1 point
2 point
3 point

Of course you have to substitute info. And this is only to help you with your outline.
Last edited by Zomby Woof at Sep 29, 2009,
Be witty.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by crimson205
I don't really know how to do one and my teacher said if we dont know how to do one find out...

Fuck your teacher. That's ignorant.

Just look up stuff on the three governments and compare and contrast them. Comparing Congress to Parliament and the President to the Prime Minister should get you going.

Oh, and don't cite Wikipedia.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

A-Introduction
B-Body
a.
1.Topic Sentence
2.Info
i. point
ii. point
iii. point
3.Transition
b.
1.Topic Sentence
2.Info
i. point
ii. point
iii. point
3.Transition
c.
1.Topic Sentence
2.Info
i. point
ii. point
iii. point
3.Transition
C-Concusion

Quote by CrossBack7
Stick to MLA ( or whatever association your teacher prefers) format for your sources/quotes
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
yeah, he said it were to be double spaced. xD he is a douche but some times he makes things interesting, while still being a douche : (
Quote by crimson205
yeah, he said it were to be double spaced. xD he is a douche but some times he makes things interesting, while still being a douche : (

So your teacher is Meths?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

lol. Umm, i need help with the outline the most i have no idea how to start...Should i gather info first before the outline ? He gave us quesitons we can have as a base i guess
Yeah, get your info first. How do you know how to say it if you don't even know what it is you're going to say yet? Unless you're researching specific questions; then you can at leasty lay out an idea of how to present those questions. Just remember whatever outline you come up with can be changed however you want.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by crimson205
I must do a research paper due friday. I don't really know how to do one and my teacher said if we dont know how to do one find out... So i must do one on the american government and 2 other governments, u picked uk and aussie.

Do you guys know how to create an effective paper that will be a good grade? i have lots of trouble making my outline.

Graduate middle school?
Quote by bendystraw
Graduate middle school?

Funny bitch, if you have nothing productive to say, shut the **** up...Sorry most people arent as smart as you
Yeah.

Gather ANY info.

As much as you can.

When you have more than you need, sit down and organize them into groups based on similarity.

Then choose the best 2-4 groups.

Make a topic concerning them all.

Write.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by crimson205
Funny bitch, if you have nothing productive to say, shut the **** up...(space goes here)Sorry most people arent (aren't, not arent) as smart as you(Period)

That's all right, I really don't mind being smarter.
Chill the **** out guys.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by crimson205
lol. Umm, i need help with the outline the most i have no idea how to start...Should i gather info first before the outline ? He gave us quesitons we can have as a base i guess

Look for a "puzzle", a question that needs to be solved. For instance, why do these countries have completely different governmental systems despite being neighbors, or why does the US system result in bipartisanship whereas parliaments tend to have many parties (first past the post system vs. proportional representation), or you could maybe look at economic development in certain countries and try to explain something about it, like why one country has a service based economy, another an industrial one, and another depends on exporting natural resources.

You then come up with several explanations for the phenomena, and compare and contrast evidence from each country to find which explanation fits best and why.

How long does this paper need to be?

And what grade are you in?

Research paper requires research obviously, but the extent of the requisite research materials and the necessary level of nuance and sophistication in the argument can vary to a huge extent.

What class is this for? That makes a big difference. What are you supposed to write about?
Quote by bendystraw
That's all right, I really don't mind being smarter.

You forgot the asterisks . You don't write four asterisks in a sentence like that.

Well i didnt mean to say that stuff but like...im having troubles and you come and demotivate me, c'mon man
Quote by crimson205
You forgot the asterisks . You don't write four asterisks in a sentence like that.

Well i didnt mean to say that stuff but like...im having troubles and you come and demotivate me, c'mon man

That's true, most people just say "fuck".
Quote by bendystraw
That's true, most people just say "fuck".

Dude, back off.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Four pages means you won't have to do a whole lot of research. I mean, at university I would write response papers for the readings of each class meeting that would be that long. You don't want a really complex thesis because you don't have much room to elaborate on it.

An easy way to start is to consider J.S. Mill's methods of agreement and difference.

The method of agreement looks at similar results that occur in different cases (i.e. cases with divergent circumstances).

The method of difference looks for the causes of different results in similar cases.

An example would be explaining why the US developed its unique system of political representation while Australia copied the British system. You can look at alternative explanations, such as relatively homogeneous population of Australia at time of formation vs. more cultural/national diversity in the US at time of formation; the violent independence movement of the US versus the peaceful transition of Australia from colony to commonwealth; the method of governance used when the US and Australia were colonies, etc. You then suggest which explanation is the best, most important, or maybe its a combination of factors that best explains it, etc.

Edit: Actually what am I talking about... the paper is so short you could probably just write a descriptive narrative and be fine. I doubt the teacher is requesting inferential analysis, though I could be mistaken. Just compare the processes by which governments are elected in each country and maybe show how this influences party politics, or demonstrate how the legislative systems differ.
Last edited by bajeda at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by SteveHouse
Dude, back off.

I'm just goofing around, i always love it when people retaliate for sarcastic comments.
Quote by bendystraw
I'm just goofing around, i always love it when people retaliate for sarcastic comments.

lol but when someone says something offensive and not showing sarcasm, i sense the