Page 1 of 2
I think we've all been there. You pick up a guitar, an amp, a pedal, or other piece of gear that you think "Oh God this is gonna suck" before you even plug it in, but much to your surprise, you find yourself going "HOLY crap, this is awesome!" What gear have you test driven that surprised you the most?

For me, it was a tie: between a beat up Warmoth kit strat previously owned by a former exodus guitarist. It looked like hell, but it was EXTREMELY well set-up and easy to use, and it sounded killer.

And a Laney solidstate combo, the model of which I forget. I was expecting the usual assy solid state tone, but this thing boomed! Granted, it wasn't as good as my 5150 but it held its own well enough that I'd gig with it if my Peavey went down.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Gear always lets me down, I hate it

That being said, I didn't think the Bogner Shiva was going to be THAT good. I was wrong.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
digitech death metal distortion pedal. i thought it would be total crap and it was only slightly crappy with a touch of usefullness to boot. gotta love cheap pedals...
prs se for sure, i thought the pickups were going to suck... i was wrong
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

$250 fender acoustic made in china.

i picked it up and it's tone and playability was rivaling guitars costing 3x as much.
My agile 3100M. Great sounding guitar for a GREAT price! haha, I never expected it to sound as good as it did, even in alternate tunings.
Originally Posted by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though....
My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
$250 fender acoustic made in china.

i picked it up and it's tone and playability was rivaling guitars costing 3x as much.

Wouldn't happen to be a DG22CE, would it?
Quote by Led Dirigible
Wouldn't happen to be a DG22CE, would it?

no, it was dreadnought style, no cutaways, and it was jet black. I believe it was a CD-60
that condenser microphone i bought yesterday is awesome, much better than i thought it would be
also, a few pedals have impressed me, such as my wah, my mxr gt-od, my boss rc-2, and my carl martin red repeat
as for amps, my traynor ycv40wr, i love it more each time i turn it on
my acoustic guitar, an ibanez tcy10

i get impressed easily lol
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
no, it was dreadnought style, no cutaways, and it was jet black. I believe it was a CD-60

Ah, okay. My Fender is the best acoustic I've ever played, I like it better than any Martin, Taylor, or Takamine I've ever picked up. Best 250 I ever spent.
My Takemine Jasmine is easily as good as any acoustic I've played. After a few mods I made. I only got it for 40$ aswell :thu:
My Pocket POD, I bought it sorta outta hopes it would sound slightly better then a cheap distortion pedal... it's since replaced guitar amp entirely and mostly helped me avoid GASing for another amp at all.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
This new mixing board I picked up for $100. I was like .. meh... but it's super sweet and versatile.

PV6 USB? by peavey. Yup.

ALSO! the Ibanez Tubescreamer I used to have...somebody stole it from me... made me so sad. been trying to find one ever since, but nobody has the old ones.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
line 6 pod. i bought one for 50 bucks just for the heck of it. i loved it so much i sold it and bought a podxtlive. the xt is now my full recording rig and my church rig. it may become my full time rig because my 5150 and stiletto dont get played as much now that im in college
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Those cheap ass new production Danelectro guitars. They sound great. The only ones I'd avoid are the ones with a tremolo. The action and tone on all of them sucked. The fixed bridge models were incredible guitars though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
15 dollar pickup I bought from ebay. MRG Rocker Liked it better than my duncan JB.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
My Peavey XXX. I was blown away by it when it had an eq in the effects loop. I spent an hour tweaking it and had it sounding better then my dual recto.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Picked up an Ibanez RG320MH with EMGs in it for 350$ (CND) and now I'm sold back on Ibanez, after having ESP, Jackson, Schecter that cost twice as much.

In a non-guitar way, Roland Alpha Juno-1 keyboard, this thing is a little monster at around 200$
Quote by dcdossett65
Gear always lets me down, I hate it

That being said, I didn't think the Bogner Shiva was going to be THAT good. I was wrong.

I get the impression you're not content with your rockerverb

I love mine but wish it was a bit tighter
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Blackheart Little Giant. I had tried it many times and loved it, so I was expecting a good amp when I boguht it. But when I got it, it was like a beast. Really once I brought it to band practise it just blew me away. Such tone. Just listen to the clip in my profile, it's absolutely stunning!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
My Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Bough used after headstock repairs for 250$

Sounds much better the people would lead on, stock pickups sounds great. Everyone I know loves the tone of it through my amp. Might replace the pickups later down the road, but she is definatly my workhorse guitar.
My Digitech Metal Master.

When I first plugged it into my amp, I was expecting some gay ass Digitech Death Metal fizzy tone, but damn I was really surprised.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Tried a JMP-1 through a cheapass marshall solid state poweramp 808 or something like that. Sounded better than I anticipated.
WTLTL 2011
MIM strats, when set up correctly, always blow me away. Even after the price hike they are still an incredible deal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Laney VC15 hooked up to a HardWire TL-2. Expected it to sound balls, like most people on UG said but to me I could get nice modern metal sounds despite the VC15 being vintage-voiced.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Washburn Lyon Wah, picked it up for twenty aussie bucks deilivered... better then my crybaby which was 250
RIP Gooze

cats
Epi G400, for the price I was expecting just a moderate guitar but soon as I go my Marshall it burst into life. Sounds amazing.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I'm going to throw the Jackson DK2M in. I played one today, and thought that for £440 it wasn't going to have the greatest of set-ups, and that the quality of the guitar wasn't going to be that great overall. However, I was wrong. The set-up was perfect, the neck felt great in my hands, albeit it was a little thicker than the RG wizard necks that I love, it still felt great, and the pickups were stunning. I had already expereinced the SD '59 neck pickup in a Washburn X50 Pro, so had expectations for it, but the bridge pickup (SD TB-4 JB) was brilliant, it sounded fantastic for metal rhythm (I tried it through a JVM 100 watt head into a Dave Mustaine signature 1960).

It felt and souned so good to me that I'm going to buy it on Friday, along with the RG1570 that I tried, which I was also pleasantly surprised with. I heard a lot of people say the V8 pickups sucked in it, and that if you get one you should change them out, but I saw no problem with them. The neck pickup lacked in warmth from what I was expecting, but it's a great guitar.

Gabe, that demo of your Blackheart was brilliant, some of the best tone I've heard coming from that amp from the various demo's I've watched/heard.
Last edited by AdamDK at Sep 30, 2009,
My Fender Super Champ XD surprised me. I bought it new from MF for $210 shipped with footswitch on a Fender Friday sale. I'd never used one and just thought it seemed like a good deal. Now I'm sold on it.
Quote by fly135
My Fender Super Champ XD surprised me. I bought it new from MF for $210 shipped with footswitch on a Fender Friday sale. I'd never used one and just thought it seemed like a good deal. Now I'm sold on it.

Haha I know you are. I only see you post when you are recommending that amp. Though I agree with you they are one of the better small practice amps.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
65 Amps. Not that one should be surprised when a $2400 head sounds good, but after playing literally several dozen different boutique amps in that basic price range, finding one brand that is superior across the board is special. The weird thing is that I'd heard them for several years at NAMM, but never demo'd one myself, because I was more into metal/EVH tone at the time. Once I tried one for playing blues, funk, anything clean, etc, I had to have one. They will do metal with the right pedals, though.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Laney amps in general have surprised me. I tried a VC15 and VC30, both ridiculously good for the price, I'd even say that they're the best things you can get for blues(-rock) in their respective price ranges. Then there was a little 5w Laney that even sounded better than those two, but looking at the price tag, that only seemed fair. Was an L5 Lionheart.

Something I absolutely fell in love with was the H&K Duotone. I tried the combo version and liked it's drive better than any other I've tried so far.

I think the cleans on the Framus Dragon and Framus Ruby Riot are great, though the drive isn't for me. Especially the Ruby has fantastic cleans.

Most Squiers I played were great for what they cost. I haven't picked up a Squier yet that I didn't like.

H&K Edition Tube is also way better than what you'd expect from the price.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
Haha I know you are. I only see you post when you are recommending that amp. Though I agree with you they are one of the better small practice amps.
I bought it a week after I bought my Ampeg J-20 and I had bought a Crate Vintage Club 20 a couple weeks before that. At the time I was thinking my wife is gonna kill me, so I didn't tell her.

I've had great luck with Affinity Squier Teles. I had two but sold one. The other one I upgraded the bridge to a Wilkinson 3 saddle and slapped a couple of GFS Lil Puncher SC sized humbuckers on it. Plus push-pull pots for coil splitting. It has a maple fretboard that is great and doesn't fret out on bends on the upper frets. I'll probably never sell it because it's a great guitar and it would never get a price commensurate with how well it plays.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 30, 2009,
Epiphone ES-295.. too bad it's discontinued - very nice tone and feel even though it plays like an acoustic - plays like a very very nice acoustic
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Me Flextone. Granted, it doesn't really like wahs (the high end can get brittle, but with my chorus, everything seems to work better).

But, for my needs and my band's, it does the trick just about perfectly.

On that note, my cheapo DeltaLabs SC-1 chorus. SOunds pretty great, and was like 60 bucks.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Mesa Boogie Single/Double/Triple Rectifier.

I was really expecting these to be loose, noisy amps only good for teh Br00talz. I was pretty shocked when it did some pretty cool classic rock and modern twang tones as well.
All of the gear I just purchased..

For the first time since I started playing im not out immediately looking at replacing stuff.. Its nice not to be bothered by it.... The Randall is amazing and the modules are spot on. The Triple is simply one of the tightest amps I have been blessed to play. The Windsors power section adds a really smooth backing to my Randalls tone. And the Framus cab sounds simply amazing for everything.
Danelectro's Cool Cat pedals. at firs i thought "Big deal. they took the FAB pedals and added a metal housing, metal jacks and true bypass. it'll be the same ****ty electronics on the inside" then i played the CC TOD... *splat*
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
All of the gear I just purchased..

For the first time since I started playing im not out immediately looking at replacing stuff.. Its nice not to be bothered by it.... The Randall is amazing and the modules are spot on. The Triple is simply one of the tightest amps I have been blessed to play. The Windsors power section adds a really smooth backing to my Randalls tone. And the Framus cab sounds simply amazing for everything.

I think those preamp modules are an absolute genius idea, especially if they so accurately replicate what they're going for. I'd love to have a a Blackface/Plexi/Ecstasy mix.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Page 1 of 2