Hi UG, got another question for you guys.

So I have two options for getting a new half stack. One is the Line 6 hd100 head designed by Bogner, all tube, for $530 off of Ebay. The other is a 1984 JCM 800 head and cab together for $1200 from this guy on craigslist.

I can afford either of these, and I play a variety of things, from post-hardcore/screamo to heavy metal. I do need good clean tones though, for me to be able to use pedals through the amp.

Which amp do you guys recommend?
Last edited by njm0830 at Sep 29, 2009,
i agree the spider tube is very good but it cant beat the jcm plus with craigslist you can actually try out the amp and try to haggle the price down.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
The Spider valve is a great sounding amp and is very versatile.

However, the JCM800 is pretty much the staple amp for metal.

Its really a toss up, imo. However I would lean a bit more toward the JCM800 only because you have the option to try it out before you buy it.
JCM800 All the way and like Supersonic64 said, you can try it out.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
^I keep waiting for your Bear avatar to start breathing fire.

(inside joke)

Also, I'm not sure if his pedals would work well with the HD. You might be able to turn off all effects/models on that amp I just can't remember. I think the 800 will take pedals better and has an all around better kick in the pants.
Much as I think that that Spider Valve gives you access to a number of amp voicing...
1. It doesn't take OD pedals very well
2. No effects loop
3. On board effects are crappy

At the end of the day, the Spider Valve limits your set up to Guitar->Spider Valve.

I'm inclined to say that you should go for the JCM800, unless you're dead certain that you have no need for outboard effects and you're gonna depend solely on the SV for all your tonal needs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

(inside joke)

I keep waiting for it to shoot a blue laser beam...

are we talking about the same thing??
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I keep waiting for it to shoot a blue laser beam...

are we talking about the same thing??

I've never felt more left out on these forums then I do now
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
You can buy the Line 6 HD100 brand new for 450...
and you can surely find a marshall half stack cheaper than that.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

(inside joke)

Also, I'm not sure if his pedals would work well with the HD. You might be able to turn off all effects/models on that amp I just can't remember. I think the 800 will take pedals better and has an all around better kick in the pants.

Hmm I keep associating that bear with WTF!... even after the avatar change. His new pokemon avatars aren't so striking.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ShestShestShest
You can buy the Line 6 HD100 brand new for 450...
and you can surely find a marshall half stack cheaper than that.

Show me a Spider Valve brand new for $450

And $1200 for a JCM800 and a cab is a decent price - its nothing special but its not overpriced at all.

Quote by ragingkitty
Hmm I keep associating that bear with WTF!... even after the avatar change. His new pokemon avatars aren't so striking.

Thats what I was referring to.

Maybe I'm weird but I learn to associate UG members with their avatars - when they change them I become all kinds of confused...

Kind of like nightraven - I wish he would go back to his pacman avatar
Quote by chrisa123
I've never felt more left out on these forums then I do now

No worries.

WTF!!IsATab - had that bear avatar with a timed blue lazer fire beam of death thing

The TS mentioned he wanted to run his pedals thru said amp, which was another reason for choosing the JCM800.

Note: It would be nice if the L6-HD had a loop and way to turn off the effects. Didn't know.

I guess I should note that there ARE other amps to consider but that 800 stack sounds good to me. Maybe talk down to 1,050 or 1,100. What kind of cab/speakers again?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Note: It would be nice if the L6-HD had a loop and way to turn off the effects. Didn't know.

Turning the effects off is a simple matter of turning the respective knobs all the way to the left until the effect indicator LEDs are no longer lit, but you can neither take them out of the chain, nor can you patch in external effects. That really sucks as the onboard effects really blow.

The Spider Valve is a pretty cool amp, shame it ain't a VettaValve.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Show me a Spider Valve brand new for $450

American Musical has been selling them for the past month or so at $450 a piece, looks like they're finally out. You can get the 1x12 combo for $400 still though and the 2x12 for $500:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPV112-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPV212-LIST

TS: Which 800 is it? Cleans on the 800s aren't that great, but will be pretty hard to achieve if it's a 2203/2204, being that they're single channel and you'll have to be really good with using your volume knob if you need instant clean tones live, they also dont' have effects loops.

Either way, it will need an OD if you're going to be playing metal through it. If you like the raw, chainsaw-like tone, then the 800 will be good. IMO, it's too bright for metal without an EQ.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
VettaValve

You saw the name here first.

Shame I can't trademark it for the profitz.

Admit it, a Vetta with a separate preamp and power amp, also an effects loop. It should sound good.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Claw has spoken

Endgame

/thread
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by MatrixClaw
American Musical has been selling them for the past month or so at $450 a piece, looks like they're finally out. You can get the 1x12 combo for $400 still though and the 2x12 for $500:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPV112-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPV212-LIST

TS: Which 800 is it? Cleans on the 800s aren't that great, but will be pretty hard to achieve if it's a 2203/2204, being that they're single channel and you'll have to be really good with using your volume knob if you need instant clean tones live, they also dont' have effects loops.

Either way, it will need an OD if you're going to be playing metal through it. If you like the raw, chainsaw-like tone, then the 800 will be good. IMO, it's too bright for metal without an EQ.

Oh yea, I forgot - the Spider IV's just came out. Line 6 is going to try to push them on everyone now. Hopefully they will make a Spider Valve II. Or better yet - throw some tubes into a Flextone or Vetta
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Oh yea, I forgot - the Spider IV's just came out. Line 6 is going to try to push them on everyone now. Hopefully they will make a Spider Valve II. Or better yet - throw some tubes into a Flextone or Vetta

There are plans for a Spider Valve Mk II.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Where have you been man? ValveII's already came out. Go to Line6.com

EDIT:
woah found it on a retail site
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPVDHD100MKII?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

900$

that's double the price the original valve was going for during the discontinuation period and just for more amp models and more crappy digital effects.
And still no SVpre.

LAME.

EDIT2:
Damn it's a shame looks like every place that still has the original SV HD100's are selling them for 800+
You tight.
Last edited by ShestShestShest at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by ShestShestShest
Where have you been man? ValveII's already came out. Go to Line6.com

EDIT:
woah found it on a retail site
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPVDHD100MKII?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

900$

that's double the price the original valve was going for during the discontinuation period and just for more amp models and more crappy digital effects.
And still no SVpre.

LAME.

EDIT2:
Damn it's a shame looks like every place that still has the original SV HD100's are selling them for 700+
You tight.

I really don't follow the Spider series, sorry if that disappoints anyone
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I really don't follow the Spider series, sorry if that disappoints anyone

That's the spirit. I didn't follow them either until i saw that the HD100's were going at 450. Snagged one immediately last week and have been trolling the line 6 forums 24/7 since.

Gonna turn this digital sh*tbox into a beast.
Install SVpre
Swap all tubes for JJ Teslas
Install Brighter Leds
and swap the clear plastic face plate for a steel diamond plate grill with my band logo cut out so that it glows menacingly on stage
and top if off with matching chrome knobs.
No one will ever know it is a line 6 spider.