Looking for some recommendations for a new guitar here. It definitely needs to be capable of a Trower-like tone and vibe, and under $1,000 (so not his sig strat). Do a quick youtube search for him if you've never heard him.

Amp and effects are not of concern for this, as I can pull the necessary overdrive and such from my current setup. I am not trying to emulate Trower, but I love his music and killer guitar tone (sounds fatter than any humbucker'd guitar I've listened to).

I have looked at the Fender 70s Classic Strat (http://www.stratcollector.com/scn/strats/70s_stratocaster.html), but the reviews of bad quality are deterring a purchase there. I've also priced a Carvin in a similar fashion to the Fender, but I'm looking for tips on anything else.

Thanks
just get a mexican standard and upgrade the pickups and maybe the tuners and bridge. get it set up by a pro and you will have a very nice guitar. oh and every guitar is gonna get badmouthed. most bad reviews are from people who think a guitar is something that comes to your door perfect for themselves and should stay perfect forever which is simply not true so just play what you buy before hand and make sure youre getting a good one and it will be as nice/nicer than a stock american when youre done.
Also, the U shaped neck is rather important as well. My Hagstrom is amazing but the thin neck tends to kill my hands since I have such long fingers. Which is too bad, because I have yet to play a guitar with such a fast neck and overall quality for the price.

I'm looking for a ready to play guitar, minus a setup if it's needed, but I may give the upgrade option a go if nothing else seems to work. I have a Starcaster for beating on, would it be worth putting decent hardware in it?
Quote by sidewinderpro2
Also, the U shaped neck is rather important as well. My Hagstrom is amazing but the thin neck tends to kill my hands since I have such long fingers. Which is too bad, because I have yet to play a guitar with such a fast neck and overall quality for the price.

I'm looking for a ready to play guitar, minus a setup if it's needed, but I may give the upgrade option a go if nothing else seems to work. I have a Starcaster for beating on, would it be worth putting decent hardware in it?

Strats from the 70s didn't have U Shaped necks. Infact, they discontinued U shaped necks around 56 or 57, where they introduced the Soft V shape. The C shape came along in the 60s, and stayed. If you're looking for the Robin Trower vibe, any strat will do it. You don't need a 70s strat unless you really like/prefer the big headstock.

The money you spend upgrading the starcaster, would probably serve you better at buying a new guitar anyways. Besides, the new guitar will be better made.
he had a signature strat at one point, they had a used one for 1600 at a guitar center near me... the thing was so sick though
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb