Hi all

My band is doing a cover of a Living End song and I was wondering is there something I can do with my EQ/tone knobs to sound like a double bass (or at least kind of)?

It's not overly important, I'm just curious.
umm maybe i'm wrong, but i think the term double-bass only applies to drums. anytime i used it, i meant the extra kick pedal on the bass drum. maybe it can apply to bass guitar too. idk. do you mean like a five string? i'm not real familiar with bass guitar and bass terms, so...
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
umm maybe i'm wrong, but i think the term double-bass only applies to drums. anytime i used it, i meant the extra kick pedal on the bass drum. maybe it can apply to bass guitar too. idk. do you mean like a five string? i'm not real familiar with bass guitar and bass terms, so...

He means an actual double bass, as in the large 5 foot tall bowed acoustic bass's.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13

Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
oh ok i got it. i always just called that an upright bass. srry for the misunderstanding!
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
i found that turning both tone knobs all the way up, using the neck pickup sounds sort of ok. Maybe turn the lows up and the highs down on your amp.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by primusfan
he speaks the truth unfortunately.

False.

Just switch on your "2x" switch.

Hur, hur, hur.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
OK cool, I'll try the suggestions above.

I figure its not going to sound the same, but it'll sound a lot better than my current tone, which suits the hard rock that I play, but doesn't sound anything like a double.

Cheers guys!
Double basses are fretless and bowed. Use a bow on a fretless bass and I'd imagine it would sound similar. Although I wouldn't recommend it, as its bad for your bow.
If you have a double bass it shouldn't be too hard. Living end songs are usually chugging on root notes with a few fills here and there.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Double basses are fretless and bowed. Use a bow on a fretless bass and I'd imagine it would sound similar. Although I wouldn't recommend it, as its bad for your bow.

...No.
You can play a double using fingers. It's called pizzicato, same as you would play an electric bass pretty much.
It wouldn't sound at all similar anyway.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
double basses arn't always bowed lol. anyways, depending on the style of bridge you have, you can stick a piece of foam or something to partially mute the strings. this can give you a similar upright bass like thump. Having a fretless helps and cutting the treble and raising the low mids is also a good idea.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by consecutive e
...No.
You can play a double using fingers. It's called pizzicato, same as you would play an electric bass pretty much.
It wouldn't sound at all similar anyway.

I dont know if Id say its the same as fingerstyle on an electric bass. In fact, both classical and jazz pizz (which are totally different from each other) are totally different from the motions you make on an electric
A fretless p - bass into 2 15" speakers was the closest i have ever come to either of my Kontrabass's. Bass boosted, treble but, mids centered.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Try the EHX Knockout Attack Equaliser, that thing can do some amazing stuff.

Also, dead strings on a fretless bass. I defretted my Squier jazz and the the sound of year-old roundwounds on a plastic fretboard can sound fairly DB-like.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by epy
double basses arn't always bowed lol. anyways, depending on the style of bridge you have, you can stick a piece of foam or something to partially mute the strings. this can give you a similar upright bass like thump. Having a fretless helps and cutting the treble and raising the low mids is also a good idea.

+1

I was going to suggest the foam under the bridge, too. Its probably the cheapest method mentioned, and it sounds pretty good too in my opinion.
The foam is good, roll off the treble use the neck pickup and try plucking the strings as far from the bridge as possible,
Quote by Phil Starr
try plucking the strings as far from the bridge as possible,

Thats not going to be upright-y so much as just muddy. A lot of people confuse the 2.

You really can't get very close with an electric, especially a fretted one. The closest you're going to get is a fretless with tapewound strings, or flatwounds with foam under the bridge, with the neck pickup soloed, or better yet a piezo pickup. BTW, the single coil P pickups is about as uprighty as it gets with magnetic pickups, so a 51 reissue with a fretless neck and tapewounds will get you fairly close as well
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.