I've had my les paul for almost a year now and ive fixed up almost all of the weak points of it that have been bothering me thus far such as the crappy vintage tuners and the pcb inside it. Now I want to replace the pickups but i dont know where to go exactly although i have found what i believe to be 3 good sources.

i stumbled upon Rockmonkey while looking through the forums and ive heard they are pretty good and i found WCR pickups awhile ago and ive heard great things about them and recently i found BG pickups which seem to be pretty cheap but still hand wound. i was wondering if any of you could give me some advice if you have had any personal experience with any of these pickups.

And in case your wondering what im lookin for in terms of tone i am lookin for a hot, fat bridge pup with lots of mids and nice highs that could do classic rock and has a thick sound and a neck pup that is kinda fat, thick sounding , doesnt muddy up with lots of gain and CLEAR sounding but is still warm like a neck pup should be. many thanks if you can help cheers
I think u should try going active and get the Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewire pickups. They are active versions of the duncan jb/59 pups and they produce the clearest sound ive ever heard. Have amazing highs and mids and can produce some amazing bass when u need it. U can play anything from country to blues to jazz to classic rock to heavy metal. I put these in my gibson and ive never heard a better sound before. Great investment. Pickups look amazing too haha
Last edited by Darth Sion at Sep 29, 2009,
Seymour Duncan JB and '59 seems like a pretty popular combo, might do you well.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Quote by Gigatiran
Seymour Duncan JB and '59 seems like a pretty popular combo, might do you well.

+ 1

If you don't have specific pickups in mind, this is a combination that will usually work. However, you might want to go to their website and check out their pickups further. You might substitute a SH-5 Duncan Custom for the bridge if you are looking for beefed up P.A.F. tone. You could also go with a SH-2N Jazz Model for the neck for a sound with more treble and slightly higher output.

A word about active pickups: while they are certainly nice, you will need to do additional routing on your guitar in order to install them, since they require a battery and you want to put the battery in an area where you can easily reach it to change it. Unless you are specifically looking for actives
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
I'd skip actives or the JB set. Neither of those are what I'd describe as 'fat.'

Rockmonkey could definitely do a set to those specs, and the WCR Godwoods are great as well. Another place to look for a bit hotter set would be the WB pickups Firewater set. I've got a set of Wolfetones in the mail that came recommended as 'the best there is' so those might be worth checking out, though I can't personally vouch for them just yet.
Quote by VoodooStones
I've had my les paul for almost a year now and ive fixed up almost all of the weak points of it that have been bothering me thus far such as the crappy vintage tuners and the pcb inside it. Now I want to replace the pickups but i dont know where to go exactly although i have found what i believe to be 3 good sources.

i stumbled upon Rockmonkey while looking through the forums and ive heard they are pretty good and i found WCR pickups awhile ago and ive heard great things about them and recently i found BG pickups which seem to be pretty cheap but still hand wound. i was wondering if any of you could give me some advice if you have had any personal experience with any of these pickups.

And in case your wondering what im lookin for in terms of tone i am lookin for a hot, fat bridge pup with lots of mids and nice highs that could do classic rock and has a thick sound and a neck pup that is kinda fat, thick sounding , doesnt muddy up with lots of gain and CLEAR sounding but is still warm like a neck pup should be. many thanks if you can help cheers

out of curiosity, what pcb change do ?
Quote by DGen92
out of curiosity, what pcb change do ?

are you asking "why change out the pcb for hand wired pots?'' well it makes any changes that i would have to make in the future way easier. for example if one of my pots went iffy or something i would have to take the whole pcb out just to fix that one pot kind of like taking all 4 wheels off of a car just to change 1 tire
bridge pup - Dimarzio Norton or Breed
neck pup - Dimarzio Breed
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
From the sound of it, I would go with either a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck and a Duncan Distortion or Custom Custom in the bridge depending on just how naturally thick-toned your guitar is (if it's a particularly thick-toned LP, like many Studio models are, go with the Distortion; if it's a brighter-toned guitar, go with the Custom Custom).

Or if you've got more money to burn, I would suggest you look into buying a set of pickups from Swineshead, a Warthog in the bridge and a Runaway in the neck. They'll be very expensive (£90/$140 each + shipping) and take a long time to get to you (current waiting time is eight weeks), but I think they're worth it. I've got a set of a Warthog and a Condor in one LP here (as well as Swineshead pickups in thre eother guitars) and they hit everything from blues-based rock tones to heavy metal.
The neck pickup is the one that would need tweaking in this case, as Swineshead do three models that could all suit what you want. The Runaway is a medium output Alnico V pickup that gives a really good balance between clear clean tones and articulate distorted tones. The Condor is a low output Alnico II pickup that is best for clean tones but can be very good for classic rock too though it will get a bit muddy if you're really pushing the gain up high. Finally there is the AMP which is a bit odd, it's made with 12 separate Alnico V pole pieces, like singlecoil pickups are made with, instead of one big bar magnet like most humbuckers use. This gives it a much clearer and far more articulate tone than any normal humbucker will have, but it can ound odd with very high gain. Not bad exactly, just 'odd'. Many people describe the tone like "a singlecoil on steroids", which I would agree with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
thanks so far for the advice but i forgot to mention that i plan to wire them so i can coil tap them. Just thought i should put that out there in case it should affect any of the suggestions