You Have To Listen To The Song Or Wait And Hope Someone Else Figures It Out For You. One Thing To Remember When Listening Is That The Down Strokes Will Have A Deeper Sound As The Bass Strings Are Hit First And Overlay The Higher Notes. Upstrokes Are The Opposite And Will Sound Higher For The Same Reason. Hope This Helps A Bit.
Quote by mullet_318
You Have To Listen To The Song Or Wait And Hope Someone Else Figures It Out For You. One Thing To Remember When Listening Is That The Down Strokes Will Have A Deeper Sound As The Bass Strings Are Hit First And Overlay The Higher Notes. Upstrokes Are The Opposite And Will Sound Higher For The Same Reason. Hope This Helps A Bit.

That would help a lot with songs where the original song is also played by a guitar, but when in the original song you dont hear any guitar then what? isnt there any program which can help?
:/ Whenever I have this issue, I usually either listen to the song, or if it's not originally played with a guitar, I either make up a strumming style, or try to keep up with the original flow of the song.
why you should never capitalize every word in the same sentence.

i use autocad at work for drafting. Typical practice is to capitalize everything. Im the kind of typer that looks at the keyboard, so when i was writing that i had caps lock on and didnt realize until i was done. i didnt want to have writ the whole thin over again.

If theres no guitar in the song ie; converting piano to guitar, then theres really no way anyone can tell you without simply making it up themselves.

if you have all the chords worked out, then just start with all downstrokes and you should be able to tell where an upstroke would be more fitting.
Last edited by mullet_318 at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by mullet_318
i use autocad at work for drafting. Typical practice is to capitalize everything. Im the kind of typer that looks at the keyboard, so when i was writing that i had caps lock on and didnt realize until i was done. i didnt want to have writ the whole thin over again.

If theres no guitar in the song ie; converting piano to guitar, then theres really no way anyone can tell you without simply making it up themselves.

if you have all the chords worked out, then just start with all downstrokes and you should be able to tell where an upstroke would be more fitting.

Stupid AND lazy.

And really.. just listen to the song.. it seriously isn't hard. Or just make something up that's on time and flows nice.
lazy maybe, but stupids a little harsh. Any advice is better than "just listen to the song" really? i would have never thought of that. "its not that hard" well, that changes everything!! now i got it!!!
Last edited by mullet_318 at Oct 1, 2009,
^ My proof of 'stupid.'

Really, there isn't much one can do if there isn't a strumming pattern listed.. other than figuring it out themselves.

Run around in public with your guitar asking people to help you play it?
And the only thing people have said is to listen to it himself or make up one because that's all there is to say.
It's hard to make up a strumming pattern when one doesn't know how to strum. I suspect that is what is really the problem for the TS because, well, I'm in the same boat. I can play and switch open chords enough that I can play the chord progressions for lots of Neil Young, CCR, Dylan, etc...but I can't really figure out how to strum them. I think this is mainly because I have no sense of counting time.

For example, Proud Mary has a catchy strumming pattern, but it just sounds like I'm banging chords. I saw somewhere in a tab once where the author put the strum pattern...and even then, I can't figure it out. Like if something says DUU, is that 3 beats or is it 4 with DU(D)U where the (D) is silent?

Oh and mullet, I sympathize with you. I do a lot of GIS at work and all of our annotations and stuff are in caps, so I often end up typing stuff with caps lock on.
to stay on time with the song you could get a metronome.

for strumming patterns, you could always watch someone play the song on YouTube, and time your strums and figure out up and down strums that way.