You plug an acoustic guitar into a normal amplifier? Yes, my ignorance is showing, I know. Im an electric guitar player and never cared for acoustic, but recently Ive gotten into alot of acoustic genres. A friend of mines dad has a whole lot of acoustic guitars and an acoustic amp, but I dont know what the difference between that one and a normal amp is. Does an acoustic amp just amplify the acoustic guitar? Does it just amplify the acoustic guitars tone?

Im considering buying an acoustic/electric guitar, but Id like to know the answer to see if im going to be getting into some debt.

All help appreciated. Thank you
Nothing. It is exactly the same as plugging an electric guitar into your amp.
If you plug in your acoustic, you can amplify the sound as well as adding effects and changing tone. It works exactly the same. You can even add distortion, although that wouldn't be needed for an acoustic guitar.

There is no real difference between an acoustic amp or an electric amp. If you already have an electric amp, just buy an acoustic guitar and you can plug it straight into the amp.
The only thing is, make sure you buy an ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC. Which means an acoustic guitar that has an output to an amp. If you buy a regular acoustic you can't plug it into an amp.
Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone......
Quote by p00
Nothing. It is exactly the same as plugging an electric guitar into your amp.
If you plug in your acoustic, you can amplify the sound as well as adding effects and changing tone. It works exactly the same. You can even add distortion, although that wouldn't be needed for an acoustic guitar.

There is no real difference between an acoustic amp or an electric amp. If you already have an electric amp, just buy an acoustic guitar and you can plug it straight into the amp.
The only thing is, make sure you buy an ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC. Which means an acoustic guitar that has an output to an amp. If you buy a regular acoustic you can't plug it into an amp.

haha well I knew the second part, thank you.

Will the acoustic guitar lose its "acoustic tone" and sound like my electric if I plug it in my Twin?( I think this is a stupid question, but I thought id ask it anyways. *puts on flame suit* )
Quote by CashMoney54
then what is the benifit of buying an acoustic amp?

I always wondered that. My buddy bought a $4000 dollar acoustic amp thats like only 50 watt solid state... I was boggled why he didn't buy a decent half stack or tube...
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by dustyboy316
I always wondered that. My buddy bought a $4000 dollar acoustic amp thats like only 50 watt solid state... I was boggled why he didn't buy a decent half stack or tube...

GOOD! So im not the only one with these questions!
An acoustic amp will have a cleaner, clearer tone and it will also bring out a more natural tone and an electric guitar amp.

An acoustic amp's circuitry is designed to amplify certain overtones and harmonics that an electric guitar amp won't.

While you can plug into an acoustic guitar into an electric guitar amp, you won't have as nice of tone as if you plugged into an acoustic amp.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
An acoustic amp will have a cleaner, clearer tone and it will also bring out a more natural tone and an electric guitar amp.

An acoustic amp's circuitry is designed to amplify certain overtones and harmonics that an electric guitar amp won't.

While you can plug into an acoustic guitar into an electric guitar amp, you won't have as nice of tone as if you plugged into an acoustic amp.

THANK YOU.
hmm,im wondering what sound will the amp make when you plug in the acoustic and turn the gain all the way up?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
hmm,im wondering what sound will the amp make when you plug in the acoustic and turn the gain all the way up?

Probably massive feedback
But seriously, I've seen poeple using distorted acoustics live.

TS: One thing you have to unerstand that, the sound coming out of an electric guitar is kind sterile since it only pickups the strings vibration. An electric guitar amp is designed to bring electric guitars to life, get rid of that "sterileness". An acoustic guitar though, has a much fuller sound of it's own since the whole instrument produce the sound. I'm not sure if my explenation is good but my point is that an acoustic amp is more passive and more true to the guitar your pluggin' in it. An electric amp colors your sound much more.
So, that said, pluggin' an acoustic guitar in an electric will make the acoustic guitar sound less natural, wich is not what you want.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

Layers of hollow feed-backy goodness. I've been dying to do it in a song, throwing in a volume pedal to control the feedback.

Think "Orion", but instead of note swells, it's feedbacking chords...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--