I had just started learning to shred, I need some easy shredding songs to play and practice...Any suggestions?
my sig
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by stratman7
Technical Difficulties and the arpeggio section of Altitudes

WOWWWWOOH!. I have never heard anything so amazing in my life
that arpeggio section is absolutelyy jizz-able.. o.O
get your self some lick library dvd`s of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai and EVH, they also do dvds covering the techniques and how to construct your own shred licks.

For the love of god is relatively easy - the UG tab is slightly wrong btw and i`ll get round to rectifying this at some point (it`ll be the 1st tab i`ve done(when i get round to doing it) for UG btw)
How long have you been playing??

I wouldn't consider learning "shred" until you have perfected your bending, vibrato and other fundamental techniques. It's also wise to have a good knowledge of some major and minor scales too before you begin.
There's no such thing as "beginning learning to shred".

"Shredding" is simply playing the guitar - except it's done very, very well. Shredders don't do anything different to everyone else except for practice their asses of. Most of what they do is exactly the same as what everyone else does, they're just incredibly good at it. Most shredders also have phenomenal music knowledge in terms of the variety of styles and genres they understand and can play and also from a theory point of view - which is crucial as it means they can actually use their blistering technique for something other than running up and down scales or playing chromatics.

So all you need to do is practice, practice, practice and set exacting standards for yourself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
There's no such thing as "beginning learning to shred".

"Shredding" is simply playing the guitar - except it's done very, very well.

I don't quite get this. Are you suggesting that shredders play the guitar better than those who don't shred?

I've heard plenty of shredders who have astounding technique yet the music is so frggin' boring and annoying.

The ability to shred doesn't make a guitarist better than someone who does not shred. It certainly doesn't make them a better musician.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
Shredding" is simply playing the guitar - except it's done very, very well.

Quote by XtAsY2007
I don't quite get this. Are you suggesting that shredders play the guitar better than those who don't shred?

I've heard plenty of shredders who have astounding technique yet the music is so frggin' boring and annoying.

The ability to shred doesn't make a guitarist better than someone who does not shred. It certainly doesn't make them a better musician.

If you have astounding technique then you can play the guitar very well. Whether everyone likes it or not is another issue.
Quote by Random3
If you have astounding technique then you can play the guitar very well. Whether everyone likes it or not is another issue.

True, but playing at very high speeds doesn't make you better than another guitarist who doesn't. That's the basis for my argument
Quote by XtAsY2007

From a technical point of view yes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
From a technical point of view yes.

ahh, then I rest my case
Quote by XtAsY2007
True, but playing at very high speeds doesn't make you better than another guitarist who doesn't. That's the basis for my argument

Depends on what your criteria are. If pure musical technique is what you are looking at then shredders are better. If emotion and creativity is what you are looking at then probably not.
fast doesnt equal good or better or anything like that
its just fast nothing more,
your stupid to think otherwise
Quote by innertom

If two runner learn the perfect technique for running and one is able to run twice as fast as the other while maintaining the perfect technique, then which is the better runner?
Quote by innertom

This dude speaks sense

As for the running analogy - it's stupid

A guitar is a musical instrument, for playing music. Playing very fast doesn't equal better music nor does it make a guitarist better in terms of technique.

As the previous guy mentioned, it's just more notes, played very fast and nothing more.
I stand by what I said, it is definately harder to play a certain riff/lick/solo quickly than it is to play it slowly, and therefore requires more technical skill. Anyway I think we are starting to turn TS's thread into a flamewar so let's leave it
Quote by XtAsY2007
ahh, then I rest my case

If you read my post properly you'll see I never said anything that we don't already agree on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
If you read my post properly you'll see I never said anything that we don't already agree on.

I assure you, i read your post properly, I simply misunderstood it.

Had you put "Shredding" is simply playing the guitar - except it's done very, very fast ". as opposed to "very, very well" then there would have been no confusion.

Anywhooo nevermind. Peace
get paul giberts intense rock. it is all you need.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by XtAsY2007
I assure you, i read your post properly, I simply misunderstood it.

Had you put "Shredding" is simply playing the guitar - except it's done very, very fast ". as opposed to "very, very well" then there would have been no confusion.

Anywhooo nevermind. Peace

It is playing the guitar very well. Making music and playing the guitar are not the same thing. I think it's safe to say that someone who can shred plays the guitar very well. They've mastered the physical motions that comprise playing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
It is playing the guitar very well. Making music and playing the guitar are not the same thing. I think it's safe to say that someone who can shred plays the guitar very well. They've mastered the physical motions that comprise playing.

I agree with where you're coming from but ultimately, a guitar is a tool for playing music. If you can shred effortlessly but the resulting musical result is horrible, i would still consider the guitarist to play poorly. The whole point of guitars or any musical instrument is to play music.

Someone who does not shred can still play "very, very well" and still master the "physical motions."

All shredding is is a different style of playing.
Quote by innertom

The irony hurts
look at learn small licks of shred and exercises. it will help
start slowly and work upto full speed.

for those that say shredding is better than playing slow, try playing some shred with difficult sub devisons really really slowly and then tell me its harder, and i mean really slow, like 15% speed
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Not if there sloppy...
You guys are arguing the difference between musicality and technicality. Technicality means playing every note correctly. Musicality is putting the soul into it. Most shred licks lack musicality but they are very technical. In this sense shred guitarists are great. They are the best technical guitarists. But for musicality it is a poor way of doing it. SRV's songs are not that technical but they are very musical, whereas Paul Gilbert is all technique. Not to say that either guitarist couldn't switch and play the other way, but it's a good comparison. Which ever way is "better" is totally up to personal opinion.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
There,s realy good DVD,s out there ....do yourself afavour and buy one or get one from a friend that,s what i did , it,s paying off .
This argument about Shred vs. Feeling is stupid and immature, which is why I'm jumping in...

I think that playing fast is simply another tool to express emotion in a piece, like vibrato, bending, general phrasing, dynamics, etc. That said, people who use ALL these techniques well can be considered virtuosos of the guitar IMO.

Players like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani, to name a few, use a bunch of techniqes to their advantage while maintaining good phrasing, and speed is not their only asset. I respect these players just as much as I respect David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, and Andy Timmons.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
This argument about Shred vs. Feeling is stupid and immature, which is why I'm jumping in...

I think that playing fast is simply another tool to express emotion in a piece, like vibrato, bending, general phrasing, dynamics, etc. That said, people who use ALL these techniques well can be considered virtuosos of the guitar IMO.

Players like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani, to name a few, use a bunch of techniqes to their advantage while maintaining good phrasing, and speed is not their only asset. I respect these players just as much as I respect David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, and Andy Timmons.

Well said. However I would put Andy Timmons around the same technical level as Satch, IMO.
Quote by Zmatt
You guys are arguing the difference between musicality and technicality. Technicality means playing every note correctly. Musicality is putting the soul into it. Most shred licks lack musicality but they are very technical. In this sense shred guitarists are great. They are the best technical guitarists. But for musicality it is a poor way of doing it. SRV's songs are not that technical but they are very musical, whereas Paul Gilbert is all technique. Not to say that either guitarist couldn't switch and play the other way, but it's a good comparison. Which ever way is "better" is totally up to personal opinion.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
This "Shred is just fast playing" or whatever it's been paraphrased to is the most retarded argument I've heard. Ever.

Noone sells records that is literally just them widdling up and down harmonic minor scle or whatever you assume all shredders do.
Paul Gilbert (who is apparently all technique) is actually less shred than you'd think, listen to his more pop sounding stuff, he has excellent sense of melody and what makes a song.
With his shred stuff he's not even half as shred as he was in Racer X, which was well written stuff, if you complain about Racer X you're complaining about Hair Metal music which is considered a legitimate musical genre, and not just technique, so you'd be wrong there.

I know that the people arguing this argument wouldn't say that Jazz was all technique, a lot of the time, you go to a small jazz band's show, they'll literally just pick a standard, play the theme, then improvise for 10 minutes over the chord progression, but would people say that's all technique?
No, cos it sounds a bit slower

Anyway, some easy shred:
Ten Words - Joe Satriani was the first song I learnt from a "shred" artist, easy and nice song.
Buckethead - Welcome to Bucketheadland
Buckethead - Binge and Grab (the solo gets hard, but practice at it and you should get it)
Skyscraper - David Lee Roth