So i want to buy my first vocal microphone ( with a stand of course ) . So i have couple questions :

- What brand /model should i be looking at ???

- is there a " industry standard " or " do it all " microphone ???? ( like in example the Shure sm57 for recording instrument is widely popular and canbe found in most studio )

- does the shape of the microphone matter ??

between
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/3772473532_be5939d6df.jpg

and

http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/Super55_low_res5-d126e43f78a1f66e850750ffa1e26d19.jpg

and

http://www.activemusician.com/images/store/full/MP_CTM-33.jpg

I usually buy great quality right away .. i have the budget and i want something i will be able to use for a long time . i dont have 1000$ but i dont want a 30 $ mic . in between ( 200-400) would be easily affordable for me .

any recommandation or help would be great .

i also need a stand so if you can suggest me something ... would be great .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Sep 30, 2009,
if this for recording or for live?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/R0DE-NTK-Microphone?sku=271577 This is a great vocal mic if you can stretch your budget, there's not really a well defined industry stadard for vocal mics as it really comes down to matching the singer and singing style to a specific mic, and most of the major industry standard vox mics are out of your price range (though you can still get some pretty decent ones within yout budget)

what type of styles will you be recording?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by DiveRightIn63
if this for recording or for live?

its really for live application ( well live = practicing at home and with a drummer probably ) but no recording .

so im not going into NEUMANN and other 3000 $ stuff im not setting up a studio .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
I second the Rode.

Used it once ... holy crap. It's what I'm saving for.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Oh live? lol. Shure 58s. They do the job live.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by Jason_Clement
Oh live? lol. Shure 58s. They do the job live.

ok thx guys .. that really help me out i might have been the guy who would have bought a 600 $ recording mic for live application .

ill check for the shure 58 for sure .

thx guys . greatly appreciate
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
i hate saying this every single time, but someone has to: you have to try the mic out for yourself. mics ARE instruments, and you'll need to find out which one sounds best with your voice.

but if you're just buying blind, i'd actually recommend the sm57, instead of the 58.
Quote by climhazzard

but if you're just buying blind, i'd actually recommend the sm57, instead of the 58.

SM-57 doesn't have a proper windscreen for live vocal use, other than that it's identical to the 58.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
SM-57 doesn't have a proper windscreen for live vocal use, other than that it's identical to the 58.

It's not identical. Not even close. This "fact" gets tossed around the web because they have the same capsule, but that's where the similarities end really.

Agreed on the windscreen though.

And whoever posted above is right. Microphones should be tailored to the voice. Why would big studios have mic cupboards otherwise?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Yeah. SM-58. They can record fine too, of course not as good as some of those super great vocal mics but still. A popper stopper is kind of a must have though.. but yeah for just live that'll be fine.

Quote by climhazzard
i hate saying this every single time, but someone has to: you have to try the mic out for yourself. mics ARE instruments, and you'll need to find out which one sounds best with your voice.

lol..
Microphones are NOT instruments.. unless you count tapping the top of it and classify that as 'percussion.'
Microphones just carry your voice.. singing or talking into a microphone doesn't mean you can play an instrument.
I mean come on.
Anyone who can talk on the phone doesn't know how to play an instrument..
They're more on the level of a cable..
Voice > Microphone > P.A.
Instrument > Cable > Amp
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Oct 1, 2009,
Voice > Microphone > Cable > PA
Fingers > Instrument > Cable > Amp

Not that I'm saying that a microphone is an instrument, just that your diagram doesn't prove much.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Yeah. SM-58. They can record fine too, of course not as good as some of those super great vocal mics but still. A popper stopper is kind of a must have though.. but yeah for just live that'll be fine.

lol..
Microphones are NOT instruments.. unless you count tapping the top of it and classify that as 'percussion.'
Microphones just carry your voice.. singing or talking into a microphone doesn't mean you can play an instrument.
I mean come on.
Anyone who can talk on the phone doesn't know how to play an instrument..
They're more on the level of a cable..
Voice > Microphone > P.A.
Instrument > Cable > Amp

you need to just Shut The **** Up.
Last edited by CatharsisStudio at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by CatharsisStudio
you need to just Shut The **** Up.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul