Hi guys,
I am a guitarist but have quite a bit of experience on the bass, as i had to come up with the transcriptions, and semi-write original music for the bassist in my band.
Anyway, my best mate wants to start playing bass, so i said i would give him a few lessons, just to start him off.
So, Bassists, what would you teach to a person just starting out, like scales, songs, etc.
He has no musical experience.
Cheers
Rolling it back, keeping it simple.

Are YOU from Curtin University?
If so, CLICK HERE!
First thing I would do is show him what are those little dots on the fretboard if he has no musical experience!

Then major & minor scales. C maj was the first scale I ever learnt. At least it will give him some understanding of how a scale is made up (hopefully)

Smoke On The Water is quite an easy song to play when its stripped down. a G on the bass
Of course teach how to play with fingers... That is the first thing you should really teach
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
I'm not terribly experienced, but I taught a girl I know bass for a little while. First thing I would do, just teach basic playing technique: fretting, plucking, maybe hammer ons and pull offs because they're not too difficult. Let them spend a few days to a week alone with the instrument practicing those things until they're comfortable with it. Then I'd teach tab reading, maybe some easy songs (Feel Good, Inc by Gorillaz, Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine, and 7 Nation Army are some good starter songs, but also let them learn some songs of their choosing) and then work into scales and things.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by WibbleWobble
First thing I would do is show him what are those little dots on the fretboard if he has no musical experience!

Then major & minor scales. C maj was the first scale I ever learnt. At least it will give him some understanding of how a scale is made up (hopefully)

Smoke On The Water is quite an easy song to play when its stripped down. a G on the bass

Haha, i gave him a quick lesson the other day, which ended early because he's left handed, and that's EXACTLY what we did!

He was actually playing alright as a righty, then switched round so he was playing left handed upside down
Rolling it back, keeping it simple.

Are YOU from Curtin University?
If so, CLICK HERE!
Major Scale, Minor Scale, Penatonic Scale are good scales to start off beginners with.

Try to get him started on fingerstyle if possible. It's fine and dandy using a pick, but it's a much easier transition from fingers to pick than pick to fingers.

And you said you had some bass experience, but it's important to remember fretting hand technique is different. Make sure he has his thumb on the back of the neck, and is using it as a pivot point. Your slop guitarist technique will not cut it boy!

It's really difficult to unlearn bad techniques down the road, so make sure you teach him right.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Sep 30, 2009,
wellme im taught by a friend and self taught and i learned MCR house of wolves first after that i just learned how to read tabs and i just looked them up i would reccomend you teach themsomescalesand music theory as well
Make sure it stays fun, if you want them to keep playing. A ton of theory at the beginning usually isn't particularly conducive to that. A bit, yes, but not a lot.
Quote by Halakar
Make sure it stays fun, if you want them to keep playing. A ton of theory at the beginning usually isn't particularly conducive to that. A bit, yes, but not a lot.

I agree, help him to learn songs he likes but also combine basic theory in there. Also, try some easy songs that help learn scales (Can't think of any off of the top of my head right now).
Teach him the proper ways to move up and down in the fretboard.

Scales, teach him major and minor scales, maybe some others later on.

Since you said you were transcibbing some music for your bassist then i guess you know some music theory, start teaching how to read music, slowly, of course you could just drop this and teach tabs :x IMO learning how to read music is the best way right off the bat hehe =D

Easy songs to consider are snow by RHCP (the first song i learned on bass), 7 nation army by the white stripes. Good to start off this are =D

Im lefty, but i play righty hehe, if he feels confy playing righty then he can learn like that, it would save him time and money when searching for instruments =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by edgeyyz
I agree, help him to learn songs he likes but also combine basic theory in there. Also, try some easy songs that help learn scales (Can't think of any off of the top of my head right now).

Seek And Destroy by Metallica is good for the blues scale.
I can't think of any others at the moment, but I'll come back if I do.
Quote by Halakar
Seek And Destroy by Metallica is good for the blues scale.
I can't think of any others at the moment, but I'll come back if I do.

The intro/chorus guitar riff from 'Jump in the Fire' is pretty much just a blues scale. Also, a lot of Muse stuff is heavily/noticably scale based.
Also, reading classical music. Nothing better. In my opinion, at least.