So i've been contemplating to swap to actives but i don't fancy swapping them if the difference is slight. Interested in nice cleans like Opeth's too.
Have any of you guys swapped them from passive EMGs and felt that it wasn't worth the swap?
Wanted to try to the 85/81 combo or 60/81 combo.
Don't just tell me to buy a new amp cause most of them time i'll be jamming at different jamming studios.

Here are some pics.

Honestly EMG's are only good for distortion.
If you switch over to clean, you just won't get that tone you want because the actives are pushing so much output.
And not to mention you'll have to route a spot for a 9V battery.
They're not worth the trouble.
So if you want versatility, then look into dimarzio or Seymour Duncan.

^No, and no, and no, and no.
EMG actives do great at clean, if you know how to EQ, and if you have the right amp.
You won't have to route out for the 9V, most guitars (With the only exception really being the Ibanez S) have enough room for the 18V mod, you just have to know how to organize wires.
They're worth the trouble if you like the tone, which I'm guessing you do else you wouldn't be considering it.
Again, they can do versatility quite well. I've seen EMG's do some of the best smooth jazz tones I've ever heard.

EMG actives are definitely a step up from the HZ. I'd recommend the 60-81 as it will ultimately give you a wider range of tones than the grittier 85-81.
yeah i agree with joel here, i have an 89 and it does great cleans turned down to about 2 and put in single coil mode. a great combo with a wide variety of sounds would be an 89/81tw combo. the 89 sounds like an 85 in humbucker mode and an SA in single coil mode. the 81tw sounds like an 81 in hb and an SA in sc mode. great range of tones and can be mixed and matched in the different modes to get an even wideer range of tones.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by LesZao
If you switch over to clean, you just won't get that tone you want because the actives are pushing so much output.

WRONG.

i get cleaner tones from emgs than from anything else. if anything i prefer emgs for their clean tone.

i think the argument used to be that actives were too clean and sterile sounding and now somehow it's flipped 180 degrees.
Quote by LesZao

actually you're wrong. EMGs are about the same output as a standard 10k pickup. If you like cleans then you'll probably want the 18v mod for more headroom though.

And not to mention you'll have to route a spot for a 9V battery.

in a les paul? Erm, don't think so. You can easily fit all the electronics and 2 9v batteries in the electronics cavity. Many people have done it before.

They're not worth the trouble.

not much extra trouble than installing any normal pickup.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."