Hey there, FNG Richard here, with a question to those more knowledgeable and possibly more broad minded than myself.

I've pretty much only had Strat or strat-styled guitars. The Ibanez in my room has a pretty flat neck and I just don't get along with it. My Westone Strat had more of a C-shaped neck and my HSS Strat also has a C-shaped neck.

Generally speaking, I like what I have. But today my buddy had me play one of his Fernandes Ravelle axes because I was having trouble with my fingers touching strings when playing open chords.

He pointed out the Fernandes had a slightly wider neck than my Strat. Instantly I wasn't touching the other strings like I was before and it felt great. It seemed the neck was pretty much shaped the same as my Strat but the extra width was awesome!

I was wondering if anyone knew of which guitars (major brands) had wider necks than standard Strats. I know I can get a new neck from the Fender custom shop, and while that's a possibility, I'm wondering if there's another guitar in my future.

Are there standard widths to guitar necks? Up until today I "knew" there were different widths but secretly held to the belief that they were all pretty much the same...

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
A Gibson-styled guitar would have a wider neck.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Kartman
A Gibson-styled guitar would have a wider neck.

Would PRS be similar? Their site says "Wide Fat" for many of their necks but they don't give a measurement. Looks like a standard strat is 1 5/8" from what I've found online and that wider necks (talking the nut here) are 1 11/16".

Does that sound about right?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Sep 30, 2009,
Agile do make wide neck models which is 1 3/4" at nut. That's pretty darn wide i tell ya
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Probably not really your bag, but ESP necks seem to fit into the kind of category you're talking about, with a wider, flatter fingerboard than a strat but still more rounded and meaty at the back than say an ibanez or jackson. (generally speaking of course). That's why I started playing ESP in the first place, I'm a metal player so I like a nice flat radius on the board but I have giant sasquatch hands so unless there's plenty of neck to hang on to it can be uncomfortable. Hope that helps a little.
Quote by Waylanderau
Probably not really your bag, but ESP necks seem to fit into the kind of category you're talking about, with a wider, flatter fingerboard than a strat but still more rounded and meaty at the back than say an ibanez or jackson. (generally speaking of course). That's why I started playing ESP in the first place, I'm a metal player so I like a nice flat radius on the board but I have giant sasquatch hands so unless there's plenty of neck to hang on to it can be uncomfortable. Hope that helps a little.

I didnt know ESP necks were fat and flat.....giant sized frets yeah, but fat?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I didnt know ESP necks were fat and flat.....giant sized frets yeah, but fat?

Read again carefully. He wrote "...more rounded and meaty at the back than say an ibanez or jackson..."

I do disagree about the width, though. Most ESP have 42mm width nut just like Fender.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Hmm I think GS LEAD is correct, 43mm on most ESPs. Seems wider lol, although I guess a little goes a long way, I suppose the way the fingerboard tapers could be different too, althought I wouldn't be game to say for sure. And as hminh87 pointed out I meant fatter compared to most speed demon necks, not simply super fat.
My fingers get way too crowded towards the nut on an ESP otherwise, I would have owned one by now.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Rather than looking at the Fender Custom Shop for a new neck or buying a whole new guitar, check out Warmoth. If you contact Fender about making replacement necks, they just direct you to Warmoth themselves - they make replacement necks and bodies for range of guitars and will make nearly any spec you want. They even have a few options that you'll almost never find on a stock production guitar. So long as your Strat's neck pockets match the same dimensions as a Fender American Standard Strat, the Wamroth necks will fit perfectly. That way you can keep the same feel and tone of your existing guitar but get the neck profile, width and fretboard radius you want.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

The only reason I was considering a guitar change is I'd been considering an American made HSS Strat -- the thing has been eyeballing me for months. And as that would be a considerable investment for me I then started thinking there might be another guitar out there that suits me better, out of the box.

I recently got a chance to play a very nice PRS but didn't notice the feel up by the nut. I was too wrapped up in other things -- and as it was a thousand or so out of my price range I didn't play it long.

But this Warmoth idea isn't too bad. If it were a direct replacement (no modification to the socket needed) I might try that. But paying for that kind of upgrade to a MIM Strat doesn't seem particularly prudent. Hmmmm...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by GS LEAD 5
43mm.

The only production model that ESP offers that has 43mm nut is the H-series... The rest are pretty much in the 42mm camp. Fender has a mixed of 42mm and 43mm necks. Most of those I played are 42mm.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Here's a way to tell the neck width.
Find the string spacing on the nut (NOT the width, the string spacing). Find the string spacing for the bridge (Again, not width, but string spacing). They will be different, with the bridge having a larger spacing. This is of course normal, and its why the neck tapers. Find the average of the two, then add in maybe one or two millimeters, and you've got your average neck width.
Ta-da.

Now I don't know which brands have more or less width, but now if you can find the string spacing at nut and bridge, you can find the width as well.

After typing this up, I realised it wasn't tremendously helpful, but now I couldn't be bothered to delete it all so....
yesterday i tested out a ton of LP's, some humbucking fenders, a few ibanez's and grestch's. I have an older style strat. nothing i played yesterday had as thin of a neck as my guitar. I'd try some LP's if you'd like a bit thicker of a neck. personally i have real skinny fingers and was asking the guy if he had models with thinner necks. they didn't
i want to branch out from fender guitars but may not be anytime soon purely for that reason.
Quote by KurdtStaley
yesterday i tested out a ton of LP's, some humbucking fenders, a few ibanez's and grestch's. I have an older style strat. nothing i played yesterday had as thin of a neck as my guitar. I'd try some LP's if you'd like a bit thicker of a neck. personally i have real skinny fingers and was asking the guy if he had models with thinner necks. they didn't
i want to branch out from fender guitars but may not be anytime soon purely for that reason.

Now it sounds like you're talking about the thickness of the neck, not the width of the fret board (or maybe I'm mistaken).
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Would PRS be similar? Their site says "Wide Fat" for many of their necks but they don't give a measurement. Looks like a standard strat is 1 5/8" from what I've found online and that wider necks (talking the nut here) are 1 11/16".

Does that sound about right?

i found a chart on the PRS site that says that the wide fat and wide thin necks have a nut width of 1 11/16, which, if my math is right , is about 42.86 mm.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Quote by hminh87
The only production model that ESP offers that has 43mm nut is the H-series... The rest are pretty much in the 42mm camp. Fender has a mixed of 42mm and 43mm necks. Most of those I played are 42mm.

The site says "43 mm standard nut"
Quote by richardlpalmer

But this Warmoth idea isn't too bad. If it were a direct replacement (no modification to the socket needed) I might try that. But paying for that kind of upgrade to a MIM Strat doesn't seem particularly prudent. Hmmmm...
I really support Warmoth, I've made two guitars out of just their parts, but yeah, you do have to be sure that your existing guitar's body matches the right spec and if the guitar is a sub-par one then it might not be worth the price. Depending on what options you go with, some Warmoth necks can cost the same as a whole guitar off-the-shelf.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I bought a Schecter Blackjack last year and it seemed to have a REALLY wide neck. I ended up returning it for that reason actually.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The site says "43 mm standard nut"

What site? Fender or ESP?

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by MrFlibble
I really support Warmoth, I've made two guitars out of just their parts, but yeah, you do have to be sure that your existing guitar's body matches the right spec and if the guitar is a sub-par one then it might not be worth the price. Depending on what options you go with, some Warmoth necks can cost the same as a whole guitar off-the-shelf.

I bought this for about $400 and had been considering upgrading to a USA made Strat (if I found one that sounded better than this one). My reasoning for the upgrade is I find myself looking at individual components I can see myself replacing over time. And starting with a better quality instrument seemed the better way to go.

For my MIM I already see these items being upgraded:
  • Tuners
  • Tremelo
  • Pick Guard
  • Case (came with a gig bag, American's come with ATA hard shell)
  • Pups

Adding in a neck from Warmoth ($275-$325) and I'm at the price of a higher end instrument. Why not just make the move and "start" there?

I think at this point I'm going to do two things. 1) Continue practicing and improving. This might solve the problem altogether, as has been suggested. 2) Check out other axes when I can and see if there's a difference for me -- this should become more obvious to me as I improve, I imagine.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Oct 2, 2009,