How long did it take for you to sweep with confidence & how long had you been playing for?.
Ive only been playing for about 15 months but i play everyday..
It took me ages to get it clean. I found that playing with a metronome for 2 hrs with it set at 100bpm and slowly getting faster did a world of difference.
Woot! New Zealand...
about a solid month and that was just to learn the basic major / minor 5 string shapes
about 2 to get em w/ tappage

i can get em rather fast...

and i've been playing just over a year and a few months

but to be honest all i did in summer was sweep
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Im more of the rock type of guitarist, but I wanted to expand my playing style. So after listening to AX7 I decided I want to learn to do some basic 4 string sweeps. Practiced for hours a day for about a week before our school talent show and got the cordination down good enough to sweep for my own solo during the talent show, but need a string muter on the neck. After that I practice for maybe another 2 weeks and go to 5 string sweeps with out taps and its much cleaner sounding now. But I dont sweep much anymore as I dont find a use for it to often...only one of my originals features it in the solo... its just not my style... like here and there for fun, but not always.

Recently I've done some sweeping and its like I do em nice and clean one day then sloppy the next... If I practiced more I'm sure I'd get em down better, I just have other guitar related stuff on my mind...

So I guess that leaves my answer at I'm still working on it...lol almost a year now...lol

Edit/TL; DR Been playing about 5 years, started learning to sweep around december 14th 2008, was satisfied enough by the end of decemeber 2008... gotten cleaner recently on good days...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Sep 30, 2009,
I suck immensly at it, which sucks immensly cos I want to play CoB songs (silent night bodom night *drool*)
Quote by MLilienthal
Just be prepared to practice your ass off sweeping cleanly is incredibly hard

+1
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

It took me one day to learn how to sweep, and cleanly the next day... apparently some just learn faster than the others I'm happy im a fast learner

Best advice take it slow, clean>fast

ps: I learnt to sweep in the 8th month in my playing time. Its been about 1 n a half year since I've started playing. 7th month since I started playing more seriously (lead stuff)
Last edited by MeLodicDethMTL at Sep 30, 2009,
I can barely sweep 4 strings - I could never master the 6 string sweep! *shrug*
Quote by stodge
I can barely sweep 4 strings - I could never master the 6 string sweep! *shrug*

JUst take it slowly, I MEAN SLOWLY! Make sure you get the sweeping motion and NOT picking each not. My first sweep was A minor 6 string
Last edited by MeLodicDethMTL at Sep 30, 2009,
just started, learning a 4 string sweep and a six string.
---15p11---
--------------------13p10
then back down is a good exercise.
Last edited by metallicaman051 at Sep 30, 2009,
lol you mean 15p11 and 13p10

and a question about that one, 4th str 13th fret on the way down, do you hit it with your ring finger or pinkie?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
lol you mean 15p11 and 13p10

and a question about that one, 4th str 13th fret on the way down, do you hit it with your ring finger or pinkie?

haha sorry about that, i meant pull off.
and how i play it is i keep my pinky on the 15th fret section, ring finger on the 13th section middle on the 12th and let my index do all the movement. id say keep your hand in the same position as much as possible.

does that answer your ?
Played for 2 years, then decded to give it a try. Month later i could do 4, 5 and six string sweeps with confidence. Still can't do triads perfectly, for some reason...
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by metallicaman051
haha sorry about that, i meant pull off.
and how i play it is i keep my pinky on the 15th fret section, ring finger on the 13th section middle on the 12th and let my index do all the movement. id say keep your hand in the same position as much as possible.

does that answer your ?

i think so but lemme make sure.
when you play...

15p11-----------------------11-15~~
-------13-----------------13----------
----------12-----------12-------------
-------------13p10h13----------------

...you would finger it in this order?:
(index=1, middle=2, ring=3, pinkie=4)
my natural instinct is to go 4,1,2,1,2 and then pinkie the 15th fret on 5th string. maybe i should learn it on the above fingering on 4 strings though?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I've been playing for a little over 12 and a half years.. started looking at sweeping at the beginning of this year.
I think at my current rate I'll get to the point of being able to easily and confidently use the technique in my playing in about another year and a half to two years.
404: Sig not found.