Hi guys, long time no see:P

I know reading all this might be f-ing boring and **** xD But please do, and help me out, I'd really apreciate it

Well I posted a thread on the UG about half a year ago, probably even longer ago, and it was about what amp I would get as a second amp. In the end I went for a Line 6 spider Jam (75W)..Which was amazaing, because the recoring and presets are F-ing awesome, and always came in handy. However, the sound isn't the same as like..A marshall tube amp:P Because it's all digital.
So now I found out I have a bet for 500 euro's, that I will win for sure xD, I know i have 500 euro's at januari 2010..That + The amount of money I'm gonna save for buying the amp ofcourse. I think my money for buying the amp will together be like 1150 euro's or something..??

What I'm looking for:

An amp that is like...Almost PERFECT for metal :P So I need to have a great metal sound, but a nice and warm clean tone would be nice aswell, although I'm not gonna use that like a lot xD..
Preferably a tube amp, but hey, if you guys have other suggestions for an amp, I'm gonna check out those too:P
Uhm.. Well yea that's about it. Please remember, The amp has to be suitable for metal

Thanks A LOT for helping me out you guys..
Mesa Single Rectifier
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa Mark IIC+
Mesa Mark V
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Come here later to tell us you lost the bet
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Quote by ragingkitty
Mesa Single Rectifier
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa Mark IIC+
Mesa Mark V

^in Europe

I'd look for a used Marshall JCM, Orange Rockerverb, Laney Pro Tube(AOR), Engl Blackmore, stuff like that.

Yes a used XXX would work.
Nah It's like not really a bet, but that's what I called it :P
It's like..I run the half marathon here in Holland, that's 21 kilometers over dunes and beach, in three hours xD So that's not hard at all, and I'll make it for sure :P
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^in Europe

I'd look for a used Marshall JCM, Orange Rockerverb, Laney Pro Tube(AOR), Engl Blackmore, stuff like that.

Yes a used XXX would work.

Yeah, I'm feeling a little biased towards Mesa these days, so when someone mentions metal or versatile, I feel too inclined to mention Mesa.

Also, ENGL Powerball if you want versatility, ENGL Fireball if you want high gains and cleans and nothing else in-between.

Krank Rev or the Rev Jr Pro 20/50 or the Krankenstein if you're ok with another American made amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Wow..I kinda allready lean towards the mesa amps..I knew they were awesome by reviews and stuff but never actually looked some up on youtube..They DO sound amazing xD
I'm gonna check out the rest of the suggestions too
Well guys..? Any other suggestions?? ^^
I think I'm into Mesa at this point, but the Orange Rockerverb seems amazing too.. Orange is an overall good choice isn't it..? It's also an expensive choice though xD
Ohw yea.. It's all about halfstacks right now huh? ^^ Well, that's all fine with me, but (ofcourse) you're all giving me tops..What about the cab? Does it matter extremely what cabinet's underneath the top?..
A lot of the amps we've rec'd so far are available in combos too.

Yes, the cabinet/speakers you choose is very important. Don't cheap out there.

I'd tell you to use the Edit function instead of multi posting but It's obvious you are on a cell phone.

Best thing you can do is go play these amps somewhere.
Actually I'm just on my laptop (A) But I'll use the edit-function more often
Well I guess what I'm gonna do is: make a list of some of the recommended amps at this thread. Then take my guitar with me to Amsterdam (cuzz that's kinda nearby :P) And just visit some stores and ask for the amps to try some out
Then I think I can look at the prices and make a good decision! :P
And maybe I can get the price down a little bit ;D

I'd still appreciate amp/cab-suggestions though ;D Thank you all for your posts so far..
^I'm not real familiar with what will be available to you in your price range. I'm in the States. Cab wise you probably can't go wrong with Orange, Lopoline and 'some' Marshall cabs. Look for cabs with Celestion Vintage 30s.

There are some guys on this board that know those stores in Amsterdam pretty well. What I would do is map out 3 or 4 of them that you are going to hit up. Get their URLs and post them in here so we can take a look at their inventory and such. You'll get more amp for your money imo if you go used.

Sorry about the cell phone comment, it was just the way you were 'talking' made it appear as if you were texting.

Blackstar Series 1? Either the 45w combo or the 100w head and a decent cab (probably over budget unless you go used)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Paoelios
Well guys..? Any other suggestions?? ^^
I think I'm into Mesa at this point, but the Orange Rockerverb seems amazing too.. Orange is an overall good choice isn't it..? It's also an expensive choice though xD

You're considering Mesa and think Orange is an expensive choice?
I would agree with the Blackstar suggestion, they're awesome amps. Series One is one of my favorite amps.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

ENGL Savage
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I'm not real familiar with what will be available to you in your price range. I'm in the States. Cab wise you probably can't go wrong with Orange, Lopoline and 'some' Marshall cabs. Look for cabs with Celestion Vintage 30s.

There are some guys on this board that know those stores in Amsterdam pretty well. What I would do is map out 3 or 4 of them that you are going to hit up. Get their URLs and post them in here so we can take a look at their inventory and such. You'll get more amp for your money imo if you go used.

Sorry about the cell phone comment, it was just the way you were 'talking' made it appear as if you were texting.

Ohw no really no problem about the cellphone comment :P English isn't my own language after all, so it's obvious i won't be very clear from time to time:P
But..If I buy a used amp..There can't really be something really like..messed up with the sound or something, right? Except for the tubes, that may have been replaced ?
Then why won't everybody buy used amps?? Well..I'm gonna try to look some of those amps mentioned, but now I'm gonna look for used ones, and see what the actual price difference would be.
gtg now ;D Thanks again for all of your comments..

Well, like anything you do have to be careful. Some things to look out for are these:

Scratchy pots (potentiometer) - the dials basically. Make sure they they work as they should.
Tubes - bad preamp tubes and power tubes would be pretty noticeable. I can give you more if you need it.
Speaker - make sure the original speakers are in there and are not torn, if you can view.

Basically, if it sounds good to your ears, and the dials work as they should, and you don't hear volume swells or crackling and popping - you are usually good to go. There are exceptions of course, but honestly, with the way a lot of amps are made these days - you have just as much of a chance of something going wrong with a new amp. Granted you have a warranty, which is something you usually won't get with a used amp.

Additionally, many times used amps have the added benefit of:
Fresh or better tubes than stock
Broken in speaker or better speakers than stock
other mods (like bias adjustments, different values on resistors and caps, etc)

Hope that helps
idk, i hate threads like this.

"hey guys, i'm gonna save up and buy a bunch of lotto tickets. I'm a shoe-in to win! what amp should i get with my lotto winnings? i don't care, just make sure it has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!"

seriously, can't anyone do their own research? i mean, i get it, they're looking for help, but jezus fvck, has anyone else heard of google?

311: idk, Herbert maybe... really depends on what sound TS wants. there's a lot more tones in metal than I think a lot of people realize... which in itself is sad
^I don't know. He already stated his OP may be boring but that he appreciated the help

I usually don't give too much of rats ass how the TS get's the money but he did provide a budget

I guess I just like helping people, which is what GGnA is all about. I used to make all of my decisions based on research, but it's nice to have conversations with people as a sanity check or sounding board

as opposed to, you know....spam
i suppose you're right. not TS's fault, he DID warn us.

EDIT: let's see, he said 1100 Euros right? wtf is that in dollars, like just shy of 2k? and needs a cab... hmmm... "best metal amp"... really into Mesa thus far... Mesa=/=cheap... neither do their cabs btw... but also into Orange... interresting...

cheap but great quality cabs, you could always go avatar, get it custom loaded with v30's in either a 2x12 or 4x12?

are we talking brootal chugga chugga metal or G'n'R/Ozzy metal?

I like the Orange here... bit dark for a british-voiced amp, which i think will suit you well, though nothing's stopping you from going with a jcm800 if you want brighter, but if you're liking what u heard from mesa, i doubt that's the case.

might not be a bad idea to also look into a really great OD... maxon, radial, keeley, etc.

oh, and new 1x12 6505 comes out in like a week or so. you could try that on for size?
...and let all of us know your first impressions with it.

mini Kranks might work 4 u... rev or 'stein Jr. gotta price check 'em... can't remember what they're going for at the moment.

idk, i'll sleep on it and see if i can't come up with anything better.

TS, i'll re-read your post to see if you already said this stuff, but what kinda' metal do you play specifically? what guitar/pickups? fx? what are prices like over the pond? anything you can think of that might help probably will help. thanks.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 1, 2009,
Ya'know...

I don't know about the prices of ENGLs... but why not a Powerball or a Fireball?

I mean... its metal right?

Especially the Fireball... relatively chimey cleans and downright br00talz on the dist channel.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by GrisKy
i suppose you're right. not TS's fault, he DID warn us.

EDIT: let's see, he said 1100 Euros right? wtf is that in dollars, like just shy of 2k? and needs a cab... hmmm... "best metal amp"... really into Mesa thus far... Mesa=/=cheap... neither do their cabs btw... but also into Orange... interresting...

cheap but great quality cabs, you could always go avatar, get it custom loaded with v30's in either a 2x12 or 4x12?

are we talking brootal chugga chugga metal or G'n'R/Ozzy metal?

I like the Orange here... bit dark for a british-voiced amp, which i think will suit you well, though nothing's stopping you from going with a jcm800 if you want brighter, but if you're liking what u heard from mesa, i doubt that's the case.

might not be a bad idea to also look into a really great OD... maxon, radial, keeley, etc.

oh, and new 1x12 6505 comes out in like a week or so. you could try that on for size?
...and let all of us know your first impressions with it.

mini Kranks might work 4 u... rev or 'stein Jr. gotta price check 'em... can't remember what they're going for at the moment.

idk, i'll sleep on it and see if i can't come up with anything better.

TS, i'll re-read your post to see if you already said this stuff, but what kinda' metal do you play specifically? what guitar/pickups? fx? what are prices like over the pond? anything you can think of that might help probably will help. thanks.

I have absolutely NO idea about what 1100eu would be in american dollars..maybe like.. 1400 dollars..??1500 perhaps? Well..I play System of a down, some metalcore, but yea..Have been playing a little Metallica last month again :P: So yea..Uhm In have ( An absolutely fabulous:P Esp LTD Deluxe EC-1000, with EMG 81 bridge, 60 neck pickup..They sound awesome..Well..Oh F*ck gtg now =S Kickbox, But I'll cya laterr..
Alright guys, about the Euro/dollar thing.. I asked my dad, and he told me that 1100eu would be about 1600 Dollars (Yay!xD).
Soo..That's more than I expected
Keep dah posts flowin' and the suggestions going please..
Thnx again for all of your comments ;D
Can you post the website of your music stores? I honestly have no clue how prices run in Europe or what kind of used market there is like.

EDIT: here's some options:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_rocker_30h.htm
Look at the creative bundle for $1135 with the Harley cab, that cab has Vintage 30s in it.

The ENGLs seem to be a pretty good price in Europe, look into those. The Mesas are extremely expensive and there are amps just as good, so I'd stear clear because of the price.
Last edited by thrasher. at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by thrasher.
Can you post the website of your music stores? I honestly have no clue how prices run in Europe or what kind of used market there is like.

EDIT: here's some options:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_rocker_30h.htm
Look at the creative bundle for $1135 with the Harley cab, that cab has Vintage 30s in it.

The ENGLs seem to be a pretty good price in Europe, look into those. The Mesas are extremely expensive and there are amps just as good, so I'd stear clear because of the price.

Wow, the Orange+ Harley bundle seems like a great choice, and it's also perfect for my price class.. About the websites you asked for, here are some of my favourites:
www.feedback.nl
www.dijkmanmuziek.nl
www.musicstore.com
www.spanjaardmuziek.nl

Damn can't remember some of the good ones, but hey, at least you can get an impression of the prices over here.
Would the earlier-mentioned bundle also be good enough (LOUD ENOUGH xD) for gigging?
Yes, it'll be plenty loud for gigging. If you could get some sort of a discount, you'd have some cash left over to buy and EQ, and maybe some other effect, and you'd be set. You might also want to consider the AD30.
These are some more head options:
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Engl-E-625-Fireball-Head-60-Watt-Vollroehrentopteil/art-GIT0000318-000R
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Engl-E-650-Ritchie-Blackmore-Signature-Head/art-GIT0000309-000

You could save some money by getting a combo:
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Orange-Rocker-30C-30-Watt-Combo-1x12-/art-GIT0008887-000
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Peavey-6505-212-60-Watt/art-GIT0011733-000
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Engl-E-330-Screamer-50-Combo-1x12-Vintage-30/art-GIT0000315-000

If you really want a mesa, I've seen people sell them on the classifieds here on UG in Europe for reasonable prices.
And I'm sure if a few of them are a little over budget, you could get some sort of discount.
Quote by thrasher.
Yes, it'll be plenty loud for gigging. If you could get some sort of a discount, you'd have some cash left over to buy and EQ, and maybe some other effect, and you'd be set. You might also want to consider the AD30.
These are some more head options:
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Engl-E-625-Fireball-Head-60-Watt-Vollroehrentopteil/art-GIT0000318-000R
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Engl-E-650-Ritchie-Blackmore-Signature-Head/art-GIT0000309-000

You could save some money by getting a combo:
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Orange-Rocker-30C-30-Watt-Combo-1x12-/art-GIT0008887-000
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Peavey-6505-212-60-Watt/art-GIT0011733-000
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Engl-E-330-Screamer-50-Combo-1x12-Vintage-30/art-GIT0000315-000

If you really want a mesa, I've seen people sell them on the classifieds here on UG in Europe for reasonable prices.
And I'm sure if a few of them are a little over budget, you could get some sort of discount.

Nah, I think Mesa Is kind of over-prised when you compare them to orange you know.. Orange isn't cheap, but I like Orange better than Mesa, esspecially when you look at the prices.. ENGL Also is REALLY good so I'm still not sure about even the amp-brand :P:
So the Orange Combo you showed me in one of your links would also have enough volume for gigs, considering 30 Watts on a tube amp?