Ok, I think I may need to shim my neck but I'm not 100% sure, hence this post. I have an Epiphone LP-100 with 10 gauge light strings on it right now. I want to lower the action. I have already messed with the truss rod because I was having some fret-buzz issues on the low frets that are now remedied. Right now when I do the 'test' (hold first and fourteenth fret) I am getting less than a credit card's thickness between frets 6 - 9 and the string, so I assume my bowing is fine. The action at my lower frets is nice, but climbs drastically. I can slide a nickel between the fret and the string easily starting at fret 4, and near fret 22 I can see even more room, possibly room for a dime and a nickel. (sorry for stupid measurements!)

So, the suggestion would be to just lower the saddle, which works fine, until I fret ~12+. Anywhere around or over 12th fret and I get insane buzz coming from the last fret.

I would think that I should be able to get more consistent action throughout the neck, instead of like 1.5mms at first fret, and then ~4mm at twelfth? I thought I had it but now the buzz at the higher frets tells me otherwise, and since I have less than a credit card's bowing, I don't think it's just a truss rod adjustment.
Am I right in assuming I need to completely straighten out the neck, lower the saddle, shim, and then go from there?
Thanks in advance.
It shouldn't be necessary, nor exactly worth it. The uneven buzzing could very well be uneven frets, and the only thing you can do to compensate for that is raising the action.
Slightly loosen the rod (So it bends a bit more, to be clear) and then adjust action at the bridge again. This may give you more of an angle to clear the bad frets.

Can you not fix bad frets then? Well, yes you can, but as with the shim, it wouldn't be worth it. IE, an expensive fretjob on an LP-100 is not exactly what you'd call doing business.
I added a little more bend like suggested but didn't have to raise the saddle. I have it high with no buzz right now, so it is playable as opposed to low (how I want it) with constant buzzing at higher frets. If I have it as low as I'd like, that's when I get the high-fret buzzing. When I am talking about shimming the neck, I do mean a do-it-yourself credit card job, not a professional, or even purchased shim.
I dont think les pauls are designed for really low action (I may be wrong) ... You might be fighting a loosing battle.

Perhaps you can mess around with the truss rod again ... Or raise the height of the nut.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Low action is possible on LP guitars. But as its a LP100 gonna take more than a shim to fix it. The fret work on the LP100s Ive seen was really bad. Fret leveling may not do it as on mine the fretboard itself was really uneven and some frets would have needed to much taken off to come close to level. Mine has nice low action now but took considerable work to get it there, expensive work if you cant do it yourself. Mine was a cheaply acquired project guitar, and I have all the tools and materials to fix it.
Alright, I'll just leave it for now. Maybe when I'm changing strings next I'll toss in a shim and see if it helps any. It's not unplayable or anything at the action it's at right now, but I've seen WAY lower.