Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at purchasing my first electric guitar and amp after playing acoustic for about 8 months now.

I want to buy a good, versatile guitar. At the moment I'm looking at perhaps an epiphone les paul standard or explorer.

At first i was dead set on gettin a modeling amp for their versatility, however i find I rarely use any of the effects after borrowing my friends Peavey VYPYR and his Squier HSS Strat.

I would much rather put my money towards a tone rich tube amp that can produce beautiful, mellow cleans while being capable of rich farely heavy distortion (no heavier than metal). I would also like this amp to be capable of playing small - medium sized gigs.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good beginner tube amp that is loud enough to gig with and capable of sounding awesome on both clean and overdriven channels.

Music wise, I am an enormous Foo Fighters fan and occasionally listen to others including: Metallica, The Police, Bob Marley, Dream Theater, Creed, Blink - 182, ACDC, Jack Johnson, Misfits, Beatles and Green Day. I'm not a real big fan of Dream Theater or Blink-182 anymore. I pretty much listen to and play anything that has feeling and emotion and is original.

Thanks for listening, your help is greatly appreciated.

PS: Any guitar suggestions are also welcome =)

Thanks heaps everyone,
Luke
try and get hold of a marshal tsl 201/401/601 (20w/40w/60w)

there great amps! VERY versatile, sounds AMAZING, and if your a massive foos fan (such as i am!! you heard wheels yet?) then the distortion on can get some might foo-esque sounds, amonst many others
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by Luke3991
...loud enough to gig...

...and quiet enough to practice with...

Not trying to put you off, but it's considering that side of things. If you're in a position to make a fair bit of noise when practicing then it's clearly nothing to worry about, but if noise levels could be an issue then it's probably worth considering keeping a bit of money back to get something a bit quieter (read as 'something that makes the appropriate sounds with a headphone out') for those times when you want to practice without waking the whole house up.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Thanks MickAlmighty, I'll look into those amps. Yeh just heard it then, it's alrite but definitely not my favourite of there's. It's good to hear them trying different things thought. Great to meet another Foo Fighters fan. Thanks again =).

Thanks CarpUK. Yeh I've got to keep that in mind. I don't live in an apartment or anything like that so it shouldn't be a major issue. My main istrument is the Tenor Saxophone and that can get pretty loud. I've never had an issue with the noise level of that so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thanks for the input =).
Quote by MickAlmighty
try and get hold of a marshal tsl 201/401/601 (20w/40w/60w)

there great amps! VERY versatile, sounds AMAZING, and if your a massive foos fan (such as i am!! you heard wheels yet?) then the distortion on can get some might foo-esque sounds, amonst many others

I would stay well away from the Marshall TSL's.

To my ears they sound brittle, thin and fizzy. Not to mention how tacky those things are inside. I've seen the PCB in those things and it wasn't a pretty sight.

If you want a rich, thick sound I would go with something like a Peavey Classic 30. GREAT amps for the money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4exLH5CY-4&feature=related << take a look
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Sep 30, 2009,
Hmmm interesting... Thanks XtAsY2007. I can't agree or disagree with you because I haven't heard one in action yet but it's good to get a second opinion. Yeh I've gotten along with Peavey's pretty well so I'll make sure I check a Classic 30 out. Thanks for the help =).
Yeh I had a look at that. Sounds real nice, no solid state could stand up to the roundness of that tone. Thanks again for all your help.
Quote by Luke3991
My main istrument is the Tenor Saxophone and that can get pretty loud. I've never had an issue with the noise level of that so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thanks for the input =).

Aha, if you can play the tenor sax without upsetting the locals then I reckon you're good to go with whatever you fancy
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Yes the Classic 30 would suit well. I don't know if Hayden amps are available to you but if they are, the MoFo 30w is a gem and has a power cut to 2w for practice. Teamed with a 2x12 it will take you about anywhere.
A Les Pail seems a good choice but if you can get your hands on a Burny, they are generally considered to be far better than similarly priced Epi's. Tokai also have good Les Pauls but I have some questions over their choice of woods. Worth trying out though.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Awesome thanks Lurcher. Most of those brands you mentioned are new to me so it'll be good fun checking them out, thanks for your help.
Quote by Luke3991
um... Probably no more than $2000 Australian.

I would probally split this budget at about 40/60 for guitar and amp.

Epiphone Les paul standard is around 800-900. Look out for a special on a custom or Ultra.

The other alternative is a HSS fender MIM strat which also go about a 900 - 1000 bucks. Did you like playing your friends squire?

You could buy a 5w all tube amp combo or stack. You could mic it for gigs probally some cash to. Blackstar, BLack heart

You could go for a vox night train or and orange tiny terror, But then you have to buy a cab = more money. Or you could go for an AC15 as well.

I dont think you will get much from Marshall unless you go used.... I dont think anyone has asked you yet ... are you willing to go used?

Ive rambled on abit, i can think of more stuff but hopefully my post will give you some things to think about.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Cool thanks, Tatsumaru. Nah dw, I love it when people ramble on about guitar stuff. I'm not a big fan of buying anything used, however I've heard that it's the way to go for many cases with guitars and amps. I just hate the feeling that the ex-owner of my axe may of abused it because i am VERY careful with my instruments. Yeh i really love the feel of my friends strat, however I'm not a big fan of single coils since I'm using distortion alot of the time. At first I was going to get a BIG amp but just recently, I realised that you can infact mic amps, wich will save me alota money and effort if I do go ahead with a smaller tube amp. Thanks again for your input.
hey. ur choice of guitar is real good id say.
i would try with the peavey 112 bandit. it has real nice clean and a nice overdrive.
good luck
Hey krik_hammet. Yeh thanks I like those epiphones. Are those Peaveys tube? Because I thought the bandits were SS? I may be wrong. Thanks.
mhmm, the artists you listed vary alot.
Your probably not going to find an amp that has rich cleans and metal distortion, it just doesn't happen.
I'd go with a marshall of some sort. JCM800 with 2x12 cab maybe?
or an orange rocker 30 with 2x12 cab.

Do you want a combo or stack?
I love white guitars!
Vox hybrid amps are quite alright and relatively fun to play with, and you'd be able to afford one of those (even gig-sized, at 50W+) and an Epiphone guitar with a bit of cash left over!
Hey Eat_On_Kent. Yeh I don't listen to much metal anymore. What I'm aiming for is an amp that is good clean and distorted, it doesn't have to be super heavy distortion. If worse comes to worse I could always buy a pedal for metal I guess. I think Orange and stacks are probably out of my $500-$1000 australian dollar price range. I'm not quite sure how to put what I'm looking for in words, sorry. Thanks for your help =).
Thanks reesork. Haven't heard of those, sounded great in the video though! I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks heaps!
Cheers zephyrclaw. I quite like voxes. They seem to know what I like to hear from an amp... They have a vintage, yet modern sound. Thanks for the input =).
^^ and dave himself uses vox amps for his clean tones
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
Quote by XtAsY2007
I would stay well away from the Marshall TSL's.

To my ears they sound brittle, thin and fizzy. Not to mention how tacky those things are inside. I've seen the PCB in those things and it wasn't a pretty sight.

sorry, my bad, i mean DSL
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
A few amps I can reccomend for beginners is if you dont want a big amp get a blues jr amp, those are pertty good at doing low to medium gain stuff. But if your going for a more foo fighters sound you could look at the marshles people have reccomended or get a valveking, there nice for the price, but require alot of work after buying. But if you have enough money left you might be able to pick up a PRS custom 22 used or a PRS Mia or SE custom.
For an amp that I've been pretty happy with, I have a Blackheart Handsome Devil 7/15watt head with an Avatar G212H cabinet. The speakers in it are: one Celestion Vintage 30 and one Celestion G12H30.

The Blackheart is similar in voicing to the Orange Tiny Terror which is also a good choice.
i'd get a marshall haze mini stack. or maybe blackhearts comparable model. (the one mentioned in the post directly above mine)
they're both 15watt tube heads. leaves you some ability to customize from there.
i'm about to buy one of those heads for my marshall stack which is running off a SS head atm. both sound great.
Last edited by KurdtStaley at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by Tatsumaru
I would probally split this budget at about 40/60 for guitar and amp.

Epiphone Les paul standard is around 800-900. Look out for a special on a custom or Ultra.

The other alternative is a HSS fender MIM strat which also go about a 900 - 1000 bucks. Did you like playing your friends squire?

You could buy a 5w all tube amp combo or stack. You could mic it for gigs probally some cash to. Blackstar, BLack heart

You could go for a vox night train or and orange tiny terror, But then you have to buy a cab = more money. Or you could go for an AC15 as well.

I vote bugera v22 combo. Blew the ac15 out of the water, and it's same price. I also like how the night train sounds, but its 650? And a decent cab is pushing 200, so there's just about half your budget, or the bugera, only 350, and your dream guitar, maybe a studio Gibson, or a std.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by CarpUK
Aha, if you can play the tenor sax without upsetting the locals then I reckon you're good to go with whatever you fancy

YES!...

Sorry, but if you can say that, you can hardly hear the Tenor sax from my room to my living room... personal thing, I just want to be able to play loudly in my room.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Hey MickAlmighty. Yeh Dave does use a Vox for his cleans hey? I think he actually used an Ac 30 on his debut album for the Foo's and just used a Rat distortion pedal for his overdriven sounds. Do you think I could do something like that? Perhaps buy a good clean sounding tube amp like a Fender Blues Junior and use some sort of pedal for my distortion? I'm just worried if I do in fact do that, the distortion will be much more digitalised and lifeless. Let me know what you think. Oh yeh thanks I couldn't find much on Marshall TSL's just DSL's XD. Thanks for your help.
Thanks, ethan_hanus. Yeh I was looking at PRS's for a while but didn't get much of chance to play any of them. I'll be sure to check them out. I assume your talking about the korean/chinese made ones because I doubt I could afford an American one XD. Yeh I've been checking out Peavey's, I'll have to try the Valveking. As for Marshall's, they sound great but are definitly up there in the price tags. I've also been quite interested with the Fender Blues Junior. Thing is though I don't really play blues but I'm sure that amp could handle many other genres. What do you think? Thanks again for your help.
How's it going Nalakram? Yeh I'm not too sure about the Tiny Terror, I don't think that it would be able to cater for my needs + I'll also need to buy and cabinet, which I am prepared to do for a reasonable price but I don't know how much better it would sound than a combo so yeh I'm not sure if that's the voicing I want. O yeh, haven't heard of the Blackheart or Avatar cabinet, I'll look into them. Thanks alot for the input =).
Hi KurdtStaley. Yeh that sounds good but I'm not too sure if I am ready to start customising my setup due to my lack of knowledge and experience. I'll keep it in mind though, I'm open to many ideas. Thanks for your help =).
What's up westdyolf? Hmmm bugera v22 combo hey? I'm not too familiar with them but if you think they're bettter than Ac-15's then I'll have to check them out. Gibson? I would consider getting one if i saw a good sale on them but I don't think I'll be able to purchase one with the weight of my wallet at the moment. I've heard that they're very overpriced for what you are getting. Is that true? Thanks.
Thanks burnboy85. I'll be sure to check the Agile AL-3100 and B-52 AT-112. Thanks =).
Hey pokeatthedevil. Sorry but I didn't quite understand fully what you were trying to say. Are you saying a tube amp would be much louder than a Tenor Sax? Sorry about that. Thanks for the input, look forward to hearing back from you. =)
Page 1 of 2