Page 1 of 2
I just know I'm gonna get silly replies here, but I wanna know how did you dog owners successfully potty train your dogs? I've recently acquired a pup but she refuses to to pee at her toilet. I feed her, crate her, and after 2 hours, I'll take her out to her toilet and wait for her to pee but she refuses. I usually stay with her for about 5 minutes for each potty session then I'll crate her back for about 30 minutes and repeat the whole process again. She refuses to to pee and I'll just let her play and before I know it, she squats down and pees. How did you potty train yours? I find it sooouu hard to train her to potty at the right spot.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
That's the problem too! Whenever I catch her in the act, I carry her and she continues to pee. I had urine all over my house once. In fact, she has never peed at the spot I want her to go, she has only peed there when I carry her there.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I don't know my dog is too smart for his own good, so when we were like YOU PISS OUTSIDE.

He was all like lolkay.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
I thought only cats used the toilet
I know nothing about pets.
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
How old is the pup?

General rule of puppies: They will need to pee after playing and after sleeping. So once you've been playing for a little bit, take her outside to her "spot". Use a word you want to associate with her peeing, "potty" or whatever. Tell her she's good when she goes, give her loads of praise and keep repeating the word.

Also before they will be fully trained it's a good idea to get them "paper trained"... put some newspaper or whatever by the back door as a place it's ok for her to pee, because then she'll learn that the good place to pee is beyond the back door.

My puppy is 9 months old now and once they get it, they don't forget, so good luck...
wtf? why do you have a toilet for your dog? it's a DOG.

this may be interesting x], try this....

get some random poo and put it in your backyard somewhere and have your dog go sniff it. Then, he may just mark his spot, and you'll win! yay!
Quote by diminishedtobme
I think the male ones have dicks, Im not sure though.

Quote by tgregory2010
ah screw you lol

She's approximately 13 weeks, according to the vet. I'm not sure because I picked her from the streets.

She sleeps like a pig, so everytime she wakes up (or more like me waking her up, lol) I'll carry her to her spot and tell her to potty. I think my puppy has a bladder of steel.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
She's approximately 13 weeks, according to the vet. I'm not sure because I picked her from the streets.

She sleeps like a pig, so everytime she wakes up (or more like me waking her up, lol) I'll carry her to her spot and tell her to potty. I think my puppy has a bladder of steel.

Ha maybe she does.

Give her time then, it takes them a couple of months. I think my puppy's last accident in the house was at 5 months or so.

You get better as time goes on at noticing the routine of when they need to go out, that stops as many house accidents.
It has to be attracted to a spot it "owns".

Think back to Bruce Almighty when the dog pisses on the chair everytime, and then he brings it outside cause its all the dog will piss on.

Get it to pee once wherever it wants while you watch and as soon as it starts, bring it over to this toilet you speak of and let it finish there and let it soak into it.
Go back and deodorize wherever else the excrements have fallen.

Repeat until your dog isn't a failure anymore
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
It has to be attracted to a spot it "owns".

Think back to Bruce Almighty when the dog pisses on the chair everytime, and then he brings it outside cause its all the dog will piss on.

Get it to pee once wherever it wants while you watch and as soon as it starts, bring it over to this toilet you speak of and let it finish there and let it soak into it.
Go back and deodorize wherever else the excrements have fallen.

Repeat until your dog isn't a failure anymore

So I keep doing that I guess? Okay!

Honestly, my dog's not the failure, I am. Whatta useless owner.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
So I keep doing that I guess? Okay!

Honestly, my dog's not the failure, I am. Whatta useless owner.

It's exactly how adults train their children going from diapers to the toilet actually.

It's okay to go where we wanna go, whenever we wanna go until we're a certain age.
Than they show us that the great white bowl is where we are to go.

Dogs and cats peeing, however, is called marking.
This is so, because once one has pissed on the area, it is now their territory and they use it often to reestablish their scent and keep their ground.
So, it marks the toilet and remembers to go there every time
^

No sorry you are wrong. That only applies to male dogs.

TS's dog is female.

You have to keep doing it the way I suggested. I have successfully toilet trained my female puppy so I can assure you it works.
Lies
Quote by diminishedtobme
I think the male ones have dicks, Im not sure though.

Quote by tgregory2010
ah screw you lol

I dunno, but I think she's afraid of her toilet. Every time I confine her there, she'll just keep trying to run. I hope she'll pee there.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^

No sorry you are wrong. That only applies to male dogs.

TS's dog is female.

You have to keep doing it the way I suggested. I have successfully toilet trained my female puppy so I can assure you it works.

Fuck.

I didn't see that.

Don't listen to what I said
what you should do is after she eats,right about when she starts sniffing, take her outside or whereva u want her to pee and quickly and wait for her to do it there(try giving her a treat after she does it properly and repeat this process for a while).soon she will be potty trained!
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by Broken-pick
I dunno, but I think she's afraid of her toilet. Every time I confine her there, she'll just keep trying to run. I hope she'll pee there.

Where are you making her go?

Can't she go anywhere in the garden? Maybe ti's because you're making her go somewhere weird.
You have to give her a good tap on the nose when she doesn't obey you. Hard enough to be serious, but not enough to have her be considerably scared of you.
Quote by Mudmen190
You have to give her a good tap on the nose when she doesn't obey you. Hard enough to be serious, but not enough to have her be considerably scared of you.

NEVER EVER use violence against a puppy.

She doesn't know it's wrong, she will just be scared and start to hate you.

Nobody should ever do this.
Tie the dog to your leg and take a dump in your backyard everyday. The dog will eventually pick up on this and follow suit.
aka, Possum Head on /b
Potty training should be really easy and only take a week.

If not, then you must have a stupid dog.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Perseverance. Basically, put newspaper or training pads or whatever you use by the door, so she knows she's meant to go outside. Then if you catch her squatting to pee, carry her to the door as quickly as possible so she knows where to go, and if she's already peeing, tell her off. Learn to watch for the signs that she needs to go and teach her that outside is correct - praise her for going outside, and if you catch her peeing inside say "NO" firmly and move her.

It takes a while, but they learn eventually. I have a 10 month old lab puppy who we got in January and we still had the occasional "accident" until she was about 6 months old, but she knows better now. They do learn, just give it time and patience

Edit: If she's already gone inside where she shouldn't, DO NOT scold her or punish her. She won't understand. If you catch her in the act, tell her off, otherwise, leave it alone. They don't understand that it's wrong after it's been done, and she'll just be scared and confused if you start yelling and shoving her nose in a puddle of her own pee.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Last edited by esther_mouse at Sep 30, 2009,
the puppy has to be comfortable outside before it will pee there, so you just gotta keep walking and walking and dont forget to use positive responses all the time and reward it make sure you reward it greatly when it decides to pee outside. Make it relate it to good stuff from the beginning.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by esther_mouse
Perseverance. Basically, put newspaper or training pads or whatever you use by the door, so she knows she's meant to go outside. Then if you catch her squatting to pee, carry her to the door as quickly as possible so she knows where to go, and if she's already peeing, tell her off. Learn to watch for the signs that she needs to go and teach her that outside is correct - praise her for going outside, and if you catch her peeing inside say "NO" firmly and move her.

It takes a while, but they learn eventually. I have a 10 month old lab puppy who we got in January and we still had the occasional "accident" until she was about 6 months old, but she knows better now. They do learn, just give it time and patience

Edit: If she's already gone inside where she shouldn't, DO NOT scold her or punish her. She won't understand. If you catch her in the act, tell her off, otherwise, leave it alone. They don't understand that it's wrong after it's been done, and she'll just be scared and confused if you start yelling and shoving her nose in a puddle of her own pee.

Awwh, do you have pics?

I have an 8 month old lab puppy that was born in January and we got her in March, she's a midget though
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Awwh, do you have pics?

I have an 8 month old lab puppy that was born in January and we got her in March, she's a midget though

Awww ^.^ I bet she's gorgeous. My Dora's quite a big girl, like our other lab, Ted. They're cousins ^.^

I have a photo of them pretending to be zombies, can't take any more at the moment as my camera's out of action She's sick at the moment anyway and is mostly just sleeping it off, heh.

MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
NEVER EVER use violence against a puppy.

She doesn't know it's wrong, she will just be scared and start to hate you.

Nobody should ever do this.

Sorry, but in the real world, there's a thing called discipline, and there's a fine line between it and violence.
You have to build a relationship with that animal in which it respects you and sees you as an authority, so that when you're disappointed with it it knows and feels bad, and hence won't do whatever made you disappointed with it in the first place.
Last edited by Mudmen190 at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by esther_mouse
Awww ^.^ I bet she's gorgeous. My Dora's quite a big girl, like our other lab, Ted. They're cousins ^.^

I have a photo of them pretending to be zombies, can't take any more at the moment as my camera's out of action She's sick at the moment anyway and is mostly just sleeping it off, heh.

Awwh so cute! Black labs are the best...

My mutt at the beach:

sorry for derailing thread >_>
Quote by Mudmen190
Sorry, but in the real world, there's a thing called discipline, and there's a fine line between it and violence.
You have to build a relationship with that animal in which it respects you and sees you as an authority, so that when you're disappointed with it it knows and feels bad, and hence won't do whatever made you disappointed with it in the first place.

You sir, should never own an animal as you don't know a thing about it, and appearantly not much about the real world in regards to this subject.

An animal will not respect a human out of fear. If you managed to train your own dog in this way, it's simply because it fears your reaction to it's mistake. It doesn't necessarily associate what it did (peeing in the house) with the pain (regardless of how small) that you inflict. It merely fears your own reactive response. Someone should flick your nose every time you make a mistake. See how much respect you give someone that does that to you all the time.

Like some of the previous people have said, paper training/training pads are one of the better ways to go. If you get the puppy to start going on the paper, take it outside the door or to your "designated potty area." Same with training pads. If you crate your puppy, make sure the crate is just big enough for them to stand, turn around, and lay down. Any extra space they have, they may possibly use to relieve themselves. Also, never use the crate itself as a punishment. Take them out after eating, extended play, and sleeping. Also, take them for a short walk outside, don't just place them in the corner and hope they go. walk 'em around a bit.

Always use praise once they actually do the right thing outside. I'd refrain from using treats so they don't associate the action with snacks. Never reprimand. If you catch the puppy about to go inside the house and you can't stop it, use a loud noise of some sort to startle the puppy. More often then not, it'll stop when it gets spooked. Grab the puppy at that point and take her outside. Some dogs may take longer than others, but they learn soon enough. You just have to be persistant, and attentive at this point.

TS, if you want to write me, feel free to send me a pm. I used to train dogs years ago. I used to have a sheltie that would ring a bell I hung at the door if she ever needed to go to the bathroom, as well as several other tricks of "convenience."
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Sep 30, 2009,
Our younger dog (Cracker) still hasn't learned

Luckily the older one (Henry) barks when he thinks Cracker's going to go.

I'm pretty sure he does it as an act of revenge. "Call me Cracker would they? Take this kitchen floor!"
Quote by Hakael
You sir, should never own an animal as you don't know a thing about it, and appearantly not much about the real world in regards to this subject.

An animal will not respect a human out of fear. If you managed to train your own dog in this way, it's simply because it fears your reaction to it's mistake. It doesn't necessarily associate what it did (peeing in the house) with the pain (regardless of how small) that you inflict. It merely fears your own reactive response. Someone should flick your nose every time you make a mistake. See how much respect you give someone that does that to you all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_dog
Might want to give that a go.
Don't listen to the guy who says you should punish your dog, the best way to train dogs properly is through lots of positive reinforcement when they do something good. Most of the time they won't understand why you're punishing them and won't have the right association so it's best to go with positive reinforcement.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Mudmen190
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_dog
Might want to give that a go.

Because Wikipedia is the hands down authority on dogs?

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I found little 'redirection' taps worked well for one of my puppies. If you can spot the pre-piss behaviour, a little tap (like you were pressing enter or space - nothing more) can redirect the mind away from frantically trying to find a place to piss, and lets you just calmly take her outside instead of panicking and grabbing and running outside. It's useless once they've started pissing, and has nothing to do with punishment or consequence or discipline or pain - but I found it was a great way to stop the behaviour for enough time for me to show her that if you need a piss, I'm there to take you to a place to do it. Given enough time you get the same association of outside=piss without the smell.

If you object to any kind of contact as a means of training, then that's fine - but just keep in mind that the force I used was comparable to pressing enter, and is really only just a touch to redirect the mind - not a hit, or slap, or hand-bite, and has nothing to do with any kind of malice, pain, punishment, association with pain or punishment or authority.

I live in and around the mountains - so I have ample choice as far as walking is concerned, and found the best way short of the above is just a lot of walking. First thing in the morning, after sleeping, after playing etc - go for a walk and if she's only pissing when you're outside, then pissing inside is never really an issue (at least it wasn't for me) - and exercise has a lot of other obvious benefits like draining energy which might otherwise be directed at destructive/neurotic behaviour which can lead to pissing inside etc, and it's a far better method of establishing leadership than any primitive and spastic notion of ever hitting your dog, which almost always results in far more stressed out, neurotic and aggressive behaviour later down the line.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
My dog can pee outside succesfully, but still has some "accidents" from time to time. But that's okay, I have them too.
Page 1 of 2