Now a lot of riffs/songs i come up with our in certain keys all figured out fine.

But i have played around with chords and have come slightly confused.

The chords dont really excist but they still sound good in the way i play them (not sur about the last one yet)

x x x x
9 5 9 4
7 7 11 6
9 6 9 4
9 5 9 4
9 5 9 4

My question is how to work out what key they would be in, and if (in theory terms) they would be acceptable to play with a band as there not real chords that i know.

Any help would be good

Custom Built Pearlescent Red Strat

Alpine White Les Paul Copy
Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
Let's test our music theory. These would fit into the key of F# minor (or A major).

First one looks like a C#7sus2add9 chord (!)

Second looks like Dsus2 with a diminished 5th added. So maybe that would be a Dsus2dim5 or Dsus2add13...

The last two look like F#sus2-add11 and C#sus2-add11 respectively.

EDIT: the last chord would NOT be diatonic in F#minor, BTW.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Last edited by Sewe Dae at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by glennthrower

The chords dont really exist but they still sound good in the way i play them (not sur about the last one yet)

They clearly do exist otherwise what is that TAB for?!

The theory isn't there to tell you what you can play, it's there to let you look at what you do play and make sense of it.
Quote by chainsawguitar
They clearly do exist otherwise what is that TAB for?!

The theory isn't there to tell you what you can play, it's there to let you look at what you do play and make sense of it.

+1 amen brother
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by Sewe Dae
Let's test our music theory. These would fit into the key of F# minor (or A major).

First one looks like a C#7sus2add9 chord (!)

Second looks like Dsus2 with a diminished 5th added. So maybe that would be a Dsus2dim5 or Dsus2add13...

The last two look like F#sus2-add11 and C#sus2-add11 respectively.

EDIT: the last chord would NOT be diatonic in F#minor, BTW.

C#7sus2add9 is redundant as a 9 is a 2, so C#7sus2 is all you need

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
that first chord looks like a C#11

the second im pretty sure is Amaj11

the third is really the same as the first just with a high F i think it would be C# 7sus4

and the fourth is Ab 11

they are pretty chord though your right
these are really weird chords to name, but everyone above isnt correct I know that.

For the first one I get BmAdd9,13/C#, the second I get Amaj7add11no3rd

if you guys want to name the first chord starting with a C#, you all forgot the fact that there is a b9 (flat 9, the D), then there is no third, a major 7th, and a 4th and 5th, which is why I chose to go with a B minor inversion, to avoid the "no3rd" but I coudlnt see a way to do it with the second one..

Id take this thread to the musician corner really..

Ive always been under the impression that if the name is way too complex, youre starting with the wrong root note, same goes for making chords with "no3rd" but with all your chords its almost unavoidable. With the first I chose to go with B since D is the minor 3rd, but in say the 3rd chord, there is no 3rd for B, so going with C# may be a better decision, although then we come to the conundrum of there being no 3rd. You could call the third chord "C#7add11no3rd" and thusly the last one G#7add11no3rd"

As for the scale theyre in? Guitar pro says it could be a few, but all in any case any scale you pick is going to have notes in your chords that are off key, (ie in the first chord if you want to call it a C# variation, the b9 is off key)

etc

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Last edited by glenthemann at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by glenthemann
Ive always been under the impression that if the name is way too complex, youre starting with the wrong root note, same goes for making chords with "no3rd" but with all your chords its almost unavoidable. With the first I chose to go with B since D is the minor 3rd, but in say the 3rd chord, there is no 3rd for B, so going with C# may be a better decision, although then we come to the conundrum of there being no 3rd. You could call the third chord "C#7add11no3rd" and thusly the last one G#7add11no3rd"

Surely you mean to say C#7sus4?
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Sewe Dae
Surely you mean to say C#7sus4?

lol... you guys are just trying to show off throwing in crappy names
I apologize for my previous post, I had a huge brain fart when it comes to sus chords, forgot they replace the 3rd.. (i should stop posting in these type of threads stoned)

sorry again, the above poster was right, C#7sus4 is correct

Quote by ilikeitmyself
lol... you guys are just trying to show off throwing in crappy names

Not really.. thats the correct name afaik.. theres a root, a 4th, 5th and a minor 7, hence C#7sus4

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Last edited by glenthemann at Oct 1, 2009,
1. C#7b9sus4- C# 7th Flat 9th Suspended 4th

2. AM7sus4- A Major 7th Suspended 4th

3. C#7sus4- C# 7th Suspended 4th

4. G#7sus4- G# 7th Suspended 4th
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"