k, im looking for a practice amp mostly for bedroom practice, but mic-able if need be for jamming/gigging
- most preferably all tube
- would be nice to have an effects loop
- headphone-able is almost absolutely essential
- footswitchable channels is pretty high up there on the priorities too

current guitars are:
- belman flat top deluxe (belmans, i believe, were vaguely modelled on high end PRSes but i wouldnt exactly put money on that). basically it has a mahogany body and the pickups are belman of some sort - something along the lines of 'hot vintage pickup' i think
- squier strat with texas specials (body is either agathis or alder, im thinking agathis more likely)

my current amp is a fender g-dec junior, and i reckon it is a pretty good little amp - it does what it does pretty well for the price, but i find most of the channels pretty useless. i really only use the darker metal and both the tweed channels. the biggest thing that frustrates me about the amp is a lack of an eq - it just has that one tone knob which very muddy at its extremes and, thus, doesnt provide a very wide variation in tone.

im after, largely, a metal tone (think dream theater, opeth, the butterfly effect, and to a lesser extent, trivium or tool) but something that does pop-rock and blues (hence, the texas specials) fairly nicely too, and pretty much everything in between - ie john mayer, coheed and cambria, eric clapton, paramore yadda yadda the list goes on

so this made me think of going for a mid-gain amp and a pedal.
the blackstar ht-5 (combo or half ministack, doesnt bother me) as far as i know is a mid gain amp, but im not 100% sure on all the details of it. from memory, it fits the criteria quite nicely, but i was wondering where it doesnt (if at all)

if i were to go with the ht-5, are there any pros or cons of the combo over the ministack or vice versa, and which pedal(s) would be good? if it makes a difference, i have an original crybaby and boss dd-20.
in terms of an od/ds pedal, i was thinking ibanez ts9, but, as with the amp, im open to any other suggestions

ah yes, cleans need to be of a decent standard too - not quite fender twin good, but i think people will have seen enough questions like this to get what i mean

and keep in mind, im in australia, so the range here isnt bad, but its not that great either. also, used market, i find, is fairly attrocious
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Sep 30, 2009,
Could tell you were an aussie wat with being a fan of Butterfly Effect. I play a Marshall Valvestate VS65R, It has most of the things you are looking for. the only downside it is isn't the best at full on metal sounds. but it has the footswitch, headphone jack, effect loop and is a tube amp. i got mine second hand and it has a really nice clean sound to it. and it is perfect for me as a practice amp. Hope that helps you.
thanks for the reply.

i think the power amp of the valvestate is ss (valve/STATE), with the preamp being tube. i guess i dont mind having the both of them, its just that if it were the case, id prefer it to be the other way round so i can get the breakup on the clean channel (may have facts wrong here) when cranked.

im pretty much looking for a rest-of-my-life amp, but something that isnt TOO pricey - and the most important thing about the amp is the metal tone
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
im pretty much looking for a rest-of-my-life amp, but something that isnt TOO pricey - and the most important thing about the amp is the metal tone

In that case, anything that's marketed as a 'practice amp' is a waste of time - there's very little in that wattage/size range voiced for metal. The HT-5 is the closest you'l get, I imagine.

Would you consider, say, a 50W or 100W combo?
ok, in that case, with the ht-5, what would be a good pedal to go with it?
and are there any major differences between the combo or halfstack?

ive thought about 50-100W, and id definitely need an attenuator which id prefer not to get. budget also becomes a bit of a problem too with anything that big.

with attentuators, how easily are they removed/replaced?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
ok, in that case, with the ht-5, what would be a good pedal to go with it?
and are there any major differences between the combo or halfstack?

ive thought about 50-100W, and id definitely need an attenuator which id prefer not to get. budget also becomes a bit of a problem too with anything that big.

with attentuators, how easily are they removed/replaced?

To be honest, attenuators are not nearly as usful as they're hyped up to be. The reason for their existence is to get that 'cranked amp' overdriven sound at slightly lower levels - for metal they're basically pointless. In fact, the natural tube compression added by a cranked amp may even be considered undesirable for metal.

if you buy a 50W - 100W amp for use at home, at reasonable volumes it'll sound just as good as its 5W counterpart.

As for the HT-5, I'd get the head just in case you find the 10" speaker a bit thin and lacking in bass. At least with the head you can grab a nice 1x12 or 2x12 cab if you want to alter or improve your tone.
think i might be contradicting myself a little here, but while the metal tone is mainly what im after, i want something that can give me a bit of variation - id be incredibly frustrated with a one-trick-pony. i dont by any means want to have a cranked-breakyuppy metal tone - it was for the more blues side of things (which is why i have texas specials)

ill look into a larger speaker though, thanks for that

would you describe the ht-5 as a mid-gain amp? if so, do you think id need a pedal if i got it?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
think i might be contradicting myself a little here, but while the metal tone is mainly what im after, i want something that can give me a bit of variation - id be incredibly frustrated with a one-trick-pony. i dont by any means want to have a cranked-breakyuppy metal tone - it was for the more blues side of things (which is why i have texas specials)

ill look into a larger speaker though, thanks for that

would you describe the ht-5 as a mid-gain amp? if so, do you think id need a pedal if i got it?

It sounds like you want a Peavey Classic 30 Plus a Distortion or Overdrive Pedal.
The C30 by itself will be great for Jazz/Blues/Classic Rock. Even some Lighter metal.
Then throw in an OD or Dist pedal to push it over the edge.

The only thing missing in this amp is the Headphone Jack.
But you can get an attenuator. Some of those have Headphone jacks I believe.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
not sure here, but ive heard that even with the pedal, the classic 30 struggles a bit with modern metal tones

either way, any particular recommendation on a pedal? keeping in mind, im in australia, so we dont really have THAT much beyond the major brands - boss, ibanez, maybe some digitech, etc etc
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana