So since I've never owned a guitar or an amp yet, I don't have an instrument cable. When you buy an amp, does it come with an instrument cable, or do you have to buy it separately?
Since you never owned a guitar, you'll probably wanna start with a beginner kit, which come with a cable.

Quote by Bloodycrass
Since you never owned a guitar, you'll probably wanna start with a beginner kit, which come with a cable.

I will NOT be buying a beginner kit, those can be $180 and the guitar and and amp I want to buy the price combined is $200, plus the amps that are included suck.
Quote by dsan224
I will NOT be buying a beginner kit, those can be $180 and the guitar and and amp I want to buy the price combined is $200, plus the amps that are included suck.

yea they do but for an extra $20 your not gonna get much better
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Quote by dukeofmetal

Peavey Vypyr amp, Dean Vendetta XM guitar, I think that's a little better than those starter packs
some guitars do, but amps generally dont. it'd only cost bout 20 bucks anyway.
Quote by dsan224
Peavey Vypyr amp, Dean Vendetta XM guitar, I think that's a little better than those starter packs

you win I'm still stuck with my crappy starter amp but soon I'll have my Bugera

EDIT: oh yeah and on topic if your buying both from the same store you could probably get them to throw it in especially if your willing to go with a sob story like "its my first guitar and this is all the money I have Ive been saving for years" which could be true for all I know but I have seen this work
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Last edited by dukeofmetal at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by dukeofmetal

Gotta agree. You wont get anything decent unless you drop at leas USD 500 or so in your kit. 300-400 for guitar and 100-200 for amp. Maybe a bit more for a decent pedal.
It depends on what store you go to, places like Guitar Center will not give you a cord with your amp because they rip people off and don't like making deals, and if they do give you one it will be extremely small, like 1 foot. Go to a local guitar shop and they will probably give you one with it if you ask.
Gear:

Guitar: Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Piano: Yamaha EA

Microphone: CAD U37
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Gotta agree. You wont get anything decent unless you drop at leas USD 500 or so in your kit. 300-400 for guitar and 100-200 for amp. Maybe a bit more for a decent pedal.

Yeah, for someone who has been playing guitar for a while. Not someone who is just starting and is his first guitar/amp. I'm not even going to THINK about getting a pedal, my friend has one and he's been playing for like 5 years. The amp I want to get is a Peavey Vypyr, it's $100, and the guitar I want is a Fender Squier which is somewhere around $100, at least I'm not getting those starter packs which will actually put a lot of people off because of the crappy amps.
it really annoys me when ppl new to guitar wanna spend loads on the guitar, your new to it u dont need a good guitar or a good amp
You could probably get them to throw a cable in if its less than say 20% of the cost of the amp itself.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I bought a guitar and a cable came with that, not sure if that helps or anything, but yeah.
Quote by Tedis1111
it really annoys me when ppl new to guitar wanna spend loads on the guitar, your new to it u dont need a good guitar or a good amp

Since when is $200 for an amp and guitar loads of money. And since when is squire and a vypyr good gear? It's basic beginner stuff.
If you're gna stick with guitar, and if you have the money it is worth investing in a good amp and a decent guitar. When it comes to it you'll probably want to change guitars after a few years but in terms of the amp, a good one will last. Also a good guitar through an average amp isn't worth it. Look for a guitar/amp ratio of about 40:60 in terms of the money you spend. I can't stress enough how it is worth the extra investment, and you will have to fight the natural inclination to get a flashier/more expensive guitar.

Indeed, even if not in financial terms there are good small amps out there which can take you a long way, and even when you do upgrade can be handy as a travelling/portable amp. Definitely consider all your options and try out stuff that is in your price range, slightly below and slightly above to get a good gauge at finding out what's right. Also if the salesperson is trying to push something, don't necessarily believe all that they tell you.

edit: sorry and in response to your original question...basic answer no, but if you're in the shop and buying your gear together they will probably sort out a deal/could even throw it in for free. The same applies to other bits like strings etc. If you're buying a package deal it may be in there and will probably say on the box.
Last edited by adhuv at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by dsan224

you've got the right idea, 100%.

don't let anoyone tell you that you should get a starter pack, or that your $200 gear isn't good enough.

don't forget the cable $10-20
korg CHROMATIC tuner for $20
and eventually a guitar strap $8.

you dont need a case, and stands come in handy.

sometimes, you can get the store to toss in a free cable, like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
We all forgot to mention a tuner. But it's very important as well as picks. You'll also want the strap.
Depending on where you buy it from, they may throw a cable in for free, or a strap. But yeah, a decent one'll cost you $20, and last you for quite a while, so long as it's not abused.
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
Quote by dsan224

pwnt
It's all about feel
Quote by Tedis1111

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If you have the money and the drive, go for it. Besides, having nice gear really helps motivate you to play.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
The Peavey Vypyr amp has a tuner built into it and I heard it was a good tuner, does this mean I don't need to buy a tuner? And what if the stock strap that comes with the guitar is good?
make sure it's a real tuner and not a tone tuner, like in the micro cube.

and the guitar comes with a strap?

none of mine did. though, two of them came with cables.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
make sure it's a real tuner and not a tone tuner, like in the micro cube.

and the guitar comes with a strap?

none of mine did. though, two of them came with cables.

I looked it up it said "onboard chromatic tuner" in the amp.
still not 100%. i think they list the micro cube as chromatic too.

just ask someone with the amp i guess.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Get a LiveWire advantage cable or whatever they are. It's like $13 for a 13.5 foot cable.

Best cable I've ever used. Plus, if it ever goes bad, I bring it into where I bought it and get a replacement. No questions asked.