I'm not asking a question here of anything, just lettin' everyone know about my roughly bi-monthly trip to the Tom Lee music store in HK.

Tried out:

A Spider Valve 112 combo. Was meh...I've seen the Spider Valve heads getting praise around here but the combo was just meh. At least the insane channel wasn't just pure noise, but it still sounded somewhat digital.

Now here's something I don't think everyone has tried so far..a Laney Cub 8. An extremely simple guitar amp- only a tone and a volume knob. Sounded great but wasn't my thing. The sound didn't start breaking up until I hit about 1 o'clock, which is nice for some, not so great for others. By then it was already pretty damn loud. Don't let the little 8" speaker fool you this amp has a surprisingly large low-end. Just not my style though. Good for blues, classic rock if you crank it up past 1 oclock. The cub 10 is supposed to have more gain but the store didn't have one on display.

A Roland Micro Cube ( )...this one was mainly for my friend. He's planning on buying a new amp but he has barely any money so I tried it out for him. For such a tiny little amp it's not bad at all!

Fender Deluxe Reverb combo- Nice, but again, not my thing..at least without a distortion pedal.

Come back in a few weeks for my next 'Visit to the guitar store!'

/lameness
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Cool visit :p I've never even saw the Laney Cub 8. I also visited the guitar store earlier, played a Ibanez RG1570 and a Jackson DK2M. Shall buy both on friday, I absolutely loved them.

the Fender Deluxe Reverb, is that the Hot Rod Deluxe, or is it a different series? I tried a HRD once, very nice cleans, OD wasn't bad but wasn't great.
Quote by AdamDK
Cool visit :p I've never even saw the Laney Cub 8. I also visited the guitar store earlier, played a Ibanez RG1570 and a Jackson DK2M. Shall buy both on friday, I absolutely loved them.

the Fender Deluxe Reverb, is that the Hot Rod Deluxe, or is it a different series? I tried a HRD once, very nice cleans, OD wasn't bad but wasn't great.

Nope I don't think it was the Hot Rod...not entirely sure though since I'm not very into Fender amps.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
Nope I don't think it was the Hot Rod...not entirely sure though since I'm not very into Fender amps.

Haha, same here, I'm not into them, just I remember the name stuck with me for some reason
Well today I went to a different guitar store! LOL. Just felt like it because it was a public holiday. Tried out a number of amps again.

1. Line 6 HD147 into a matching 4x12- Was alright..but like the spider, it sounded a bit digital when distorted. Looked sexy as hell though.

2. Bogner Alchemist combo- just WOW. It was on sale, original price 10,000 HKD cut down to 5800 HKD (about 725 USD). Too bad I wasn't able to crank it up. Even at a low volume I could tell this was one, very nice amp. Considering buying it. Amazing clean and distortion sounds.

3. Line 6 Flextone III- also seriously considering buying this. I play at home so I need an amp which sounds good at low volumes. The models on this amp were absolutely fantastic...and it was on sale for 3315 HKD (about 410 USD).

Well there's my latest guitar store visit! Be sure to come back and check in a few days! LOL

Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

The Flextone sounded better than the HD147?

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Flextone sounded better than the HD147?

To me, yes it did! I didn't have much time to play with the HD147 though because I had a scary volume jump a few minutes into jamming as I did with the Spider Valve. That's one of the reasons why I dislike both the Spiders and the HD.

I saw a Tech 21 Trademark 120 amp at the store...does anyone know anything about this amp?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Every modeling amp will have scary volume jumps. It all depends on how the presets are set up.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hey Raijouta..sorta need your help on this thread! https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1209001

You're one of the guys I really listen to...so your help is greatly appreciated!!

I must admit all of the Line 6 modelling amps were hard to use for me. Kinda got confused adjusting channel volume and master volume...I just need a bit more time with them i guess. I was highly impressed by the Flextone though..the JCM and dual rec models were fantastic. I played an ESP SG with active EMGs (dont know which guitar in particular) and didn't notice any clipping as I would have expected...
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Oh yeah forgot to say I tried out the SPider IV...it was so crap I forgot that I actually tried it out LOL. Seriously..it was no improvement over the Spider III. Same crappy digital distortion...and I just sat and watched as some 10 year old kid and his mom get tricked into buying it by one of the salesmen.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

TOday I went not to a guitar store, but a music studio. However I got to try a couple of amps that I had never tried before:

1. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL through a matching 4x12 cab- Classic gain channel was absolutely amazing. Cleans were not chimey like Fender amps...but had a sound of their own. I played some Knockin' on Heaven's door through the clean channel and it was stunning. Cranking up the gain gave me some terrific tones...a nice British crunch. Played some Nirvana and other GnR songs through it and it was stunning. Turned up to about 1/3 volume and it really began to sing. The ultra-gain channel, on the other hand, was disappointing; Very sterile and harsh...almost like a Spider. Then again, Marshalls were never meant for high-gain music .

2. Laney TFX3H head through a matching 4x12 cab- Now this is not an amp everyone has seen. it's a discontinued line of Laney's amps- the 'Tube fusion' series. It's now been replaced by the LV series I think. I didn't get to play with this amp much but it looked decent with all the built in effects...something you dont often see on a Laney amp. However the amp seemed to lack character probably due to it's built-in FX and hybrid technology.

There was also an Ampeg SVT bass amp in the room. I was so excited when I saw the AMPEG name on it, thinking "z0MG today i get to try the VH-140C!!!!11". Sadly it was just an SVT bass amp .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon