Page 1 of 2
Hey people. I'm looking to buy an ibanez tubescreamer 808 and i recently found out about Robert Keeley.

Are his modifications a heavy change compared to the original?
Is it worth scrounging around on ebay for one instead of buying an original?
I play stuff from Muse to Paul Gilbert stuff, I need the pedal in the first place?

thank you for reading.
Well, if your amp is the peavey bandit like it says in your sig... then no it is not worth it. It is a better idea to invest in a new amp... it will make a world of difference.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
In my opinion, Keeley's mods to the TS series aren't all that drastic, nor all that great.

It's better, but not like 50 bucks or so better, but maybe that's just because I think that mid-bump is a major part of the classic Tubescreamer sound, with a little looseness at the low end. Plus, a big point of his mod is increasing the gain range, and I've never seen the need to go beyond that.

By original ts808, I also assume you mean REISSUE!

If you've got your hands on an original, don't you dare mod it!

tl;dr: There are other pedals that do the "Keely modded ts808" sound better, for cheaper.

Case in point: Barber Direct Drive
I agree. I don't think the Keeley mods are that great. There are far better mods and TubeScreamer based pedals out there.
^ same here

the keeley mods are a tad expensive if you send your pedal to them. if you do it yourself, using $6 worth of parts... then yeah it's a great upgrade.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Doesn't Keeley basically just turn the TS's into Maxon OD808's
Quote by DTay47
Well, if your amp is the peavey bandit like it says in your sig... then no it is not worth it. It is a better idea to invest in a new amp... it will make a world of difference.

mmm you might be right, but I dont know...I like my bandit's tone, also I'm not exactly gigging yet so I dont know if I need a louder amp for now...

Quote by Rutch
By original ts808, I also assume you mean REISSUE!

i assume that I mean that as well. At first I thought pedals were just pedals, but then theres all this extra stuff attached and it makes it so much more complicated ><
Quote by UnsignedRecords
^ same here

the keeley mods are a tad expensive if you send your pedal to them. if you do it yourself, using $6 worth of parts... then yeah it's a great upgrade.

I don't know how to do all the modifications, so I dont think I can do it :P
if anything ill just ruin my own pedal, if i had bought it.
Dude, a better amp does not necesarily mean louder, and a better amp that is louder anyways will still sound better at lower volumes than your bandit.
I say skip the pedal and invest in an amp that will get you the tone you will want without a pedal... just what I would personally do.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by DTay47
Dude, a better amp does not necesarily mean louder, and a better amp that is louder anyways will still sound better at lower volumes than your bandit.
I say skip the pedal and invest in an amp that will get you the tone you will want without a pedal... just what I would personally do.

i get what you mean, and thats probably whats recommended. What amp would be an upgrade from the bandit then? shouldnt I just wait until I start gigging to get like a halfstack or something?
You don't need a half stack to gig at all, don't worry. A 30 watt tube amp should work in most situations, so don't worry about getting a half stack for gigging.
As far as amps go.... budget?
Genres?
Tones?
There are only a billion amps out there... we can help you narrow it down if you answer these questions.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Budget: errr i really dont know
Genres: Shred rock, alt rock, metal
Tones: Jason Becker - Altitudes *Drools*
Steve Vai - FOr the love of god
Joe Satriani - ALways with me, always with you
Muse - Supermassive black hole
Paul Gilbert - I Cannot Tell a Lie
Trivium
Marty Friedman - Devil Take Tomorrow
Cacophony - Images
Gojira has an awesome tone as well.
Quote by Arterial
I don't know how to do all the modifications, so I dont think I can do it :P
if anything ill just ruin my own pedal, if i had bought it.

aww nevermind then. it's super easy to do the blues driver mod if you ever wanna tackle it one day.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

speaking of which? are the differences between the TS808 and TS9 large? what are they in fact?
TS, I'd suggest looking into Analogman's mods. they sound better to my ears.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
aww nevermind then. it's super easy to do the blues driver mod if you ever wanna tackle it one day.

can you direct me to the directions?

I like my BD, but i wish it would have a LOT less treble and not sound as harsh. does this mod still let it keep it's massive clean boost and a lot of it's gain?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
can you direct me to the directions?

I like my BD, but i wish it would have a LOT less treble and not sound as harsh. does this mod still let it keep it's massive clean boost and a lot of it's gain?

i took the liberty of taking advantage of the bottom his page
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14

i also made a thread and had a bunch of my stupid questions answered
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722951

and yes. it sounds better with lower output/single coils though. love it with my tele. i think it clips too harshly with my emg's and i have to roll the tone to 0 for it to sound just right.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Sep 30, 2009,
definitely worth it to get a new amp.

check out used mesa boogies (F-50, F-100, uhh mark III, IV).
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

duh...jesus..
i really dont think I can afford those...mesa boogies are like in the thousands v.v
which is why if you buy used you can get an awesome amp at a cheaper price.

the f series are consistently under $1000.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Arterial
duh...jesus..
i really dont think I can afford those...mesa boogies are like in the thousands v.v

Thats why we need to know your budget haha... You can get used boogie combo's for under a thousand easy.
But thats just one suggestion... You need a pretty versatile amp, gain wise, but do you care about clean tone?
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
But he likes how his amp sounds! He's only playing in his bedroom. I say keep the amp and grab a few pedals. Look at the EH Metal Muff. It has an amazing EQ on it and you can pretty much dial in any sound you want out of it. Maybe check out YouTube to see if there are any demos. Also another great pedal with an amazing EQ is the Guyatone Metal Monster. YouTube that also.
he's content with the tone of his amp because he hasn't experienced better tone. he thought that a better simply meant a 'louder' one.

he should focus on the base of his tone (the amp) before adding pedals to it.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Louder is better!

Spending money on a more expensive amp doesn't guarantee he's going to find his tone or even a tone he likes. How many people do you know that have a good amp and are still looking for their "Tone." I deal with people in search of their tone or a better tone everyday. Almost all of them have very good amps.

I'm just saying he's only playing in his bedroom. Does he need to spend ~$1000 on a new amp? Probably not. I do agree that you should like the sound of your amp first and foremost.

What I would do if I were the OP, is to get to a music store. Play some amps to see if you are still content with how yours sounds. Bring your guitar with you. Maybe you will find something you like. Go on a Saturday and spend all day there. Don't rush. Really play some amps.
i'm 99.9% sure he'll find a better tone out of a not peavey bandit.

he's not looking for his holy grail yet, hell he probably hasn't even thought about it. but i can assure you he's wanted a better tone out of his amp, which hundreds of dollars pedals aren't going to help much.

not saying he has to spend $1k on an amp. i'm definitely saying he should not spend $100+ on trying to make it up to his expectations.

he'll get much closer to the tones of those bands with a decent amp. and save him money instead of buying an "in-between" amp that could easily be a higher wattage version his bandit.

yeah he should go try them out, and asking here is a good idea so he doesn't waste it on a crate flexwave 65.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by DTay47
Thats why we need to know your budget haha... You can get used boogie combo's for under a thousand easy.
But thats just one suggestion... You need a pretty versatile amp, gain wise, but do you care about clean tone?

i do care about clean tone. ive also been after the clean tone in Jason Becker's Altitudes...
Quote by UnsignedRecords
he's content with the tone of his amp because he hasn't experienced better tone. he thought that a better simply meant a 'louder' one.

hey. that makes me sound ignorant =.=
i know theres better tones out there.
If Mesa is too expensive, look for a used XXX combo? I've seen some great deals on those.

That being said, super good deals can occasionally be found on Mesa F-series, DC series, and Studio cal. models. Those can be found around the $500-$800 range, depending what exact model it is.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by UnsignedRecords

Agreed, but his ear is going to need to develop more before that becomes a possibility.

no one means you offense, TS. this is pretty common around here.
Quote by GrisKy
Agreed, but his ear is going to need to develop more before that becomes a possibility.

no one means you offense, TS. this is pretty common around here.

no offense taken, but its not very nice saying that, but anyway, can you explain that?
Quote by Arterial
no offense taken, but its not very nice saying that, but anyway, can you explain that?

sure, no prob...

take your "average" listener, someone not musically inclined. put a marshall MG infront of them and they think it sounds great because it's got "Marshall" on the front.

on the other end of the spectrum you've got producers and mastering engineers... or perhaps the 1:300,000 of us who have perfect pitch.

your ear will learn to hear the subtle details of "sound" with exposure. think of it like watching an action flick, where a dozen rounds are fired out of a revolver, and everyone says "sweet!" but the cop with handgun training who watches the same movie says "wtf, does he ever need to reload?" sure, the fact that the gun should've long been empty is right infront of all of our faces, but it took someone with the training (and ability to pay attention) to take notice and point it out. In the same way, noise is all around you, always. it takes the ability to pay attention and understand what you're hearing to know what "good" sounds like.

*most* people have a hearing range between 20Hz and 20KHz. the extreme high and low frequencies contain harmonic content that are the subtle nuances I'm referring to. with more exposure, those will become more... obvious... to you, assuming you don't have any severe hearing damage. so, watch out for those haymakers to the side of the head, kung-fu joe.
hmm i get what you mean, how can I improve my listening skills?...any help on choosing me an amp as well?

and i assume i havent damaged my hearing...
Quote by Arterial
hey. that makes me sound ignorant =.=
i know theres better tones out there.

ignorance isn't really a bad thing in your case. i'm ignorant to many things, but i'm not offended. if you were stubborn and ignorant (which you're not) then i wouldn't try to help.

i'm trying to set you up with a decent amp now, which ultimately saves you money. if you go and buy some pedals now and then a marshall mg half stack (which many newer players do), then that's a huge waste of money.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I respect Keeley's work a great deal - but people need to realise it's not an 'improvement', just a different sound. I prefer my own DS-1 tob my mate's Keeley-modded one, and unlike the DS-1, the TS808 is a damn good pedal in the first place.

Buy a standard Tubescreamer first (perhaps a Maxon or similar) and if you're not quite happy with the sound then it's time to consider having it modded.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
ignorance isn't really a bad thing in your case. i'm ignorant to many things, but i'm not offended. if you were stubborn and ignorant (which you're not) then i wouldn't try to help.

i'm trying to set you up with a decent amp now, which ultimately saves you money. if you go and buy some pedals now and then a marshall mg half stack (which many newer players do), then that's a huge waste of money.

ahh, well what amp do you recommend? I think ive listed the tones im after somewhere up the thread...
and after being on UG for long enough, the propaganda or staying away from Marshall MG's(along with Line6 Spider III's) has long seeped into my head.
that's just it, you need to discover which amps sound good on your own. once you feel comfortable around amps (and in many cases, their looming price tags), then you come back here and we narrow it down for you. Some really good amps have already been mentioned, but don't be in a rush to buy or you'll just windup wasting cash.

as for improving your listening ability, three things:
(1) Go where guitar sounds are being made. that means shows and shops more than anything else. decide what tones you like by what you hear out of them (various amps/guitars/fx that is) first hand.
(2) i forgot who makes it, but there's a book/CD combo about critical listening that's very good. check amazon for it. make sure you get a copy with CDs and not MP3s or it'll do you no good.
(3) kinda' an extension of (1). learn the "lingo" so that you can more accurately coveny what you're looking for in the future. jumping on a forum and saying you want to sound like Metallica (for example) will get you a bunch of "no sweat, Mesa MkIV, ESP, and how 'bout one'a dem new KH wahs from Dunlop." But if you say you're looking for (again, just an example) more crunch, maybe a little more top end bite and jangly cleans, people know exactly what you're talking about. study up on tubes and speakers and other interchangeable components of a rig, pickups and tone woods. while you're at it, learn about the history of amps, so that you can match the sounds of an era to particular models. doing this, aside from making you a more informed shopper and guitarist overall, will also make you APPEAR to be an informed shopper, so that when you hit up guitar center or wherever, they'll guide you to the real amps instead of the MG's.
Quote by Arterial
ahh, well what amp do you recommend? I think ive listed the tones im after somewhere up the thread...
and after being on UG for long enough, the propaganda or staying away from Marshall MG's(along with Line6 Spider III's) has long seeped into my head.

how much do you have to spend? i pretty much agree with this guy:
Quote by FlightofIcarus
If Mesa is too expensive, look for a used XXX combo? I've seen some great deals on those.

That being said, super good deals can occasionally be found on Mesa F-series, DC series, and Studio cal. models. Those can be found around the $500-$800 range, depending what exact model it is.

you'll reach all those tones pretty nicely.

here's some soundclips on the F-series.
http://netmusicians.org/?search=mesa+f
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
how much do you have to spend? i pretty much agree with this guy:

you'll reach all those tones pretty nicely.

here's some soundclips on the F-series.
http://netmusicians.org/?search=mesa+f

so you reckon an XXX combo, or a used Mesa?
i rather spend less than 1k. I sorta want to get schecter hellraiser c-7 as well...want to play some Gojira/Necorphagist stuff...

Edit: Mesa Boogie F-50 was it?
Last edited by Arterial at Oct 3, 2009,
Page 1 of 2