Hey guys, I was thinking about starting up an after school guitar club at my school for some community service.

I was thinking offering lessons to those who have never played a guitar and want to know how to play. The only problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to. I self taught myself just about everything I know. I don't consider myself a great guitarist, but I'm not a bad one either. I've been playing for 3 years or so.

Can anyone help me set up a simple list of things to teach and what to start with?
Quote by Electrocuuute
Hey guys, I was thinking about starting up an after school guitar club at my school for some community service.

I was thinking offering lessons to those who have never played a guitar and want to know how to play. The only problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to. I self taught myself just about everything I know. I don't consider myself a great guitarist, but I'm not a bad one either. I've been playing for 3 years or so.

Can anyone help me set up a simple list of things to teach and what to start with?

Chords, Scales, songs. Basic strumming, alternate picking.

Just basics, basically.

You could also use the club as a tool to get other musicians to jam with you, so instead of it being a guitar club, you could make it a music/musician's club.
1. Holding the guitar and pick correctly. ex. hand positions, strumming and picking motions, etc...
2. Basic terminology (guitar anatomy, muting, palm muting, hammer, pull off, slide, bend, alternate picking, economy picking, etc...)
3. Basic music theory
4. Exercises to become comfortable with the instrument (chords, scales and basic patterns)
5. Learning a simple song
Quote by Electrocuuute

Thats very good Samaritan like of you ... You sound like a Top Bloke *thumbs up*

Perhaps if you have a beginners book then run through that with them by demoing the exercises yourself then let them have a go at.

Perhaps show them what a guitar is made of, Tell them what a tremolo is, were the nut is, the types of pickups, pickup selector and which pickup each position selects.

Probally a good idea to tell them what all the dials on an amp does...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Basically what everybody else has said. Just think about how you taught yourself and show people what you wished somebody had shown you.
so you wanna teach non-guitarists how to play

all the above are good ideas, however the 1st thing you are definatly going to need are guitars (non guitarists are not going to have a instrument), you may find there are more experienced musicians who want to be part of your venture i think it would be better to start a general music club and just jam.

the hardest part of your venture is getting interested peeps and keeping them interested.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
so you wanna teach non-guitarists how to play

all the above are good ideas, however the 1st thing you are definatly going to need are guitars (non guitarists are not going to have a instrument), you may find there are more experienced musicians who want to be part of your venture i think it would be better to start a general music club and just jam.

the hardest part of your venture is getting interested peeps and keeping them interested.

^+1 With out being nasty ... Are you willing to lend your guitar to someone who has no idea what their doing, so to speak.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Well in like 2 years I would also be needing to do something like this for the service stuff in skool. But for me I would do prite lessons instead of a actual club more than 1 member. I guess you should start off teaching then basic techniques n all then when thats done then let them learn the genre they want to play.

Apparently I play metal mainly so it would be best to teach those who are interested in your field of expertise. I would just teach what I've learn from square one.
Don't get into theory or scales or anything like that. They're boring. Just teach a few simple chords and songs that involve them. They'll enjoy that a lot more than being able to say "I can play a C-minor scale." You have to remember why you play guitar and not put your goals as a guitar player onto your student. At the end of the day, playing guitar is fun. Make sure that that's the number one principle. Not everyone's goal as a guitar player is to be able to play like Paul Gilbert. Some just want to play Green Day songs. Playing guitar is about personal satisfaction and expression. You can't really say "you have to do this" because they may not want to do it. Give them the tools to enjoy it. If they want more, they'll ask and you can provide it. But don't make it a chore.
its a good idea, get more people to play guitar. there can never be too many guitarist. or you do like a 2 hr thing. first hr to teach some kids, second hr to get together with others that have been playing already and jam out and such. and those who are learning that feel they know enough can join the second hour and jam. and if it the club doesnt stay alive, but theres still ppl who wanna learn, teach them privately. because no1 should be turned down the chance to learn guitar.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
If you had like a $50 per person enrollment you could buy a couple cheap beginner guitars. So long as your not actually keeping the money or making a profit I think it still counts as community service. Or fund-raise in the school or in the neighborhood. Ask for donations, it can be of any amount, to go towards this music program.
There's a huge line of things I need to do in order to get a fundraiser going, such as talking with staff, ASB, banks, ect... I'm not looking to make any money off of it either.
I'd also rather not spend money (even if it's not mine) on a cheap guitar for a kid who may or may not be dedicated to play.
It's going to be a hassle anyways just to set up the club since we need a staff adviser and to get the petition for it signed by ASB, but I get community service hours for it

I guess I could try some of that, though I don't know really anything about scales and theory, or what economy picking is. I can be learning too I guess.

Thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by Electrocuuute at Sep 30, 2009,