Hey,
I'm getting the ART TubeMP w/ USB (Tube mic/inst preamp w/ 1x12AX7 tube) as an audio interface for pc and a tube preamp for my bass rig. My question is about connecting it to my rig. My amp has passive/active inputs and an effects chain, but I don't know if I should connect it in front of the amp (Bass -> TubeMP -> Head) or through the effects chain (Bass -> amp's effect out -> TubeMP -> Effects pedal -> amp's return)?
Cheers,
Jonas.
Never plug a preamp into an instrument input. I did that once and blew the preamp in my amp. It should go Bass > Effects pedals > tubeMP > amp return. the eq knobs won't on your amp head won't affect anything anymore, though. If you do decide to run the amp head also you should buy an attenuator, or a DI box with a built in attenuator. then it'd go like this. Bass > TubeMP > attenuator > amp > effect out > effects pedals > effect return.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
Never plug a preamp into an instrument input. I did that once and blew the preamp in my amp. It should go Bass > Effects pedals > tubeMP > amp return. the eq knobs won't on your amp head won't affect anything anymore, though. If you do decide to run the amp head also you should buy an attenuator, or a DI box with a built in attenuator. then it'd go like this. Bass > TubeMP > attenuator > amp > effect out > effects pedals > effect return.

So you're trying to tell me, that my amp's eq will be rendered useless?
Oh and is it that bad (about connecting bass -> TubeMP -> Amp)? The TubeMP is also described to be somewhat of a DI unit, by some people. I mean, I'm not gonna put it full blast or anything, just at a level, that it doesn't clip or distort.
Cheers and thanks,
Jonas.

EDIT:
PS. What if I used the balanced output on the TubeMP instead of the 1/4'?
as long as your careful it may be fine. my amp had a clip light and it never turned on...still blew and the repair guy said i fried the preamp....I've always assumed that that's what caused it.

DI's bring the signal up to line level just like a preamp. If you turn it really really low it should be safe, i assume. Try plugging your bass in and pay attention to how loud it is. then plug the TubeMP in the chain and try to match that volume or be a bit quieter. I'd say this is safe. just be careful.

EDIT:I don't believe balanced and 1/4 make any difference in the amount of signal sent.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Revelation
as long as your careful it may be fine. my amp had a clip light and it never turned on...still blew and the repair guy said i fried the preamp....I've always assumed that that's what caused it.

DI's bring the signal up to line level just like a preamp. If you turn it really really low it should be safe, i assume. Try plugging your bass in and pay attention to how loud it is. then plug the TubeMP in the chain and try to match that volume or be a bit quieter. I'd say this is safe. just be careful.

EDIT:I don't believe balanced and 1/4 make any difference in the amount of signal sent.

Thanks for the info I doubt that I'll fry the amp, 'cause I used to plug my effects pedal in front of my **** 10w amp and no trouble at all - it still works fine to this day - no damage whatsoever.
effects pedals don't amplify your sound as much as a preamp. Just be very careful and you should be fine.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian