Page 1 of 135
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core
1,852 IQ
Before asking any questions, CLICK HERE OR BE SLAIN

***Please read this entire post before posting yourself***

Here's how this is going to work. I don't have a lot of free time lately and I don't proclaim to have all of the answers in any field. It is because of this that I am opening this faq to all of the metal forum goers who have knowledge of death/black growls/gutturals/shrieks and thrash vocals.

I am going to be editing these posts for some time with a list of guides/tips for all of the different types of extreme vocals within the metal spectrum.
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Jul 21, 2012,
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core
1,852 IQ
General Tips:

Guide to getting started with Death metal power exhales By King ofKumbucha:
          Quote by King ofKumbucha
          Ok, so basically, when it comes to power with death exhales you can't be worried about how deep your voice is. If you are so focused on sounding brutal that your growl comes out like a whisper (volume or tone wise) then you are doing it wrong. I'm going to go against convention here and say PUSH

Yes, it will make your throat sore for a while. (after a few minutes hurting is when you stop for the day)
          Yes, you will sound fucking awful for a while (a few months practicing every day most likely)
          Yes, your band will consider getting someone else.

I'm telling you, pushing your voices limit is the only way to break that limit. Technique will only get you so far and should only be employed once you have a solid foundation, aka a powerful voice.

I don't even eq my voice during practice anymore (no echo/delay/compression/parametric/3 band etc...) because it sounds great without it. I am convinced that only comes from months of practicing every day without any sort of crutch...

I use a shitty 100 watt pa and I can hear myself over two 100w guitar amps and a triggered drum kit. It isn't as loud as it should be but I still use it because it forces me to push harder, kind of like weight training... You struggle to lift 150lbs every day and when it comes time to show off for that hot blonde who's face you want to fuck you'll be able to lift 100lbs like it's nothing.

Bottom line, when it comes time for a show and the volume is good on a solid venue pa with compression and a touch of reverb and eqed parametrically, and you've been practicing without any of that working on your volume and tone bare bones... that's when you'll sound fucking amazing.

F.A.Q.'s:

Guide to getting started with Brutal Gutturals By Insideac:

Quote by insideac

F.A.Q.'s:

Guide to getting started with Inhales:

F.A.Q.'s:

Guide to getting started with Thrash vocals:

F.A.Q.'s

Disclaimer: I realize that in the end, vocals must be experimented with and technique may go out the window... these are simply meant for the absolute beginner who may have just heard Tomb of The Mutilated for the first time and says "Gee, I wonder how he does that!" By no means are these guides to be all inclusive. There is always a way to refine technique.
          Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Jul 21, 2012,
          King ofKumbucha
          Gore not Core
          1,852 IQ
          Guide to getting started with Black metal rasps by Slaytanic1993:

Many people will tell you that black metal vocals cannot truly be expressed without ruining your vocal chords. Honestly, if you’re into Neige’s and Varg’s vocals, that’s pretty much true. But, I can tell you a simple way of getting vocals similar to Ihsahn all the way to Jon Haughm of Agalloch. Now, you must know how to sing with your head voice to be able to perform either vocal.

Okay, for the rasp vocals, these are much easier than shrieks. Rasps are much easier because they are inherently quiet and don’t require much “emphasis” to explore. The vocals begin, as with all extreme vocals, by pushing from your lower abdominal area. Then, the difference is that you have some nasal control, in that you should close your throat a bit and pushing your tongue against the back of your teeth in a curved, like rippling waves. Then, as you see fit, add power or volume. The rasp is not a “powerful” form of vocal, so if you wish to stay true to the vocals original idea just leave the power behind.

For vocals similar to like Beherit or Venom, it is simply thrash yelling, with a bit of phlegm.

Shrieks, shriekedy shrieks.
          Now, all of you know that these are the most predominant vocals in black metal. What most of you probably don’t know is these can be done without ruining your singing voice, or voice in general. Like guttural vocals, shrieks are begun in the abdomen, and then pushed through the throat. What makes shrieks different is the fact that you use your head voice to infuse the almost falsetto edge to the shriek. For the type of vocal similar to, say, Ihsahn you will need as little phlegm in your throat as possible. It is recommended to drink lukewarm water before practicing, as this eliminates the phlegm. Now, when you get your vocals into the throat stage, it is entirely necessary to open up your throat. I REPEAT: do not close your throat up, as this will cause hacking and coughing which is very bad for your vocals. Now, before you start falsetto-ing your way to being the next King Diamond, remember that you must keep a source of phlegm in order to keep the raw edge of black metal. If you try the vocals of Maniac from Mayhem, for example, you will hear a slight distortion. Yes, they used reverb and this caused a distortion effect which further empowered the shriek. So, you’ve got to the throat, and now you have to add your head voice in to get that insanely high edge, which will take at least 2 to 3 months to get at least somewhat well down.

F.A.Q.'s:
          Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Apr 28, 2009,
          MetalMessiah665
          Blasphemofukker General
          1,780 IQ
          u dont need any thred 4 grwoliez cuz iz no talented anyway i could do it but im not ghey ololololololol
          Quote by dminishedthingy
          It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
          I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
          I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
          Last edited by MetalMessiah665 at Feb 24, 2009,
          King ofKumbucha
          Gore not Core
          1,852 IQ
          Damn Messiah... even for you that was the fastest spam I've ever seen :p

Anyway, I'll be out for a bit but when I come back tonight I hope that some of you will have chosen to contribute. I will be typing up a very basic power exhale guide later.
          GBcommander
          63 IQ
          I thought this was a pretty decent guide on how to growl. Helped some of the people in the old thread.

http://www.wikihow.com/Growl
          Quote by BringMeTheCalm
          Last night I had a dream that I bought The Mantle on vinyl for $9.99 and it came with a DVD and shirt...

Then I woke up and life sucked.
          MetalMessiah665
          Blasphemofukker General
          1,780 IQ
          Quote by \Powerslave/
          That was very quick. I wasn't expecting a mock-up of this thread for a while.

Then you should have told King to start it while I was at school
          Quote by dminishedthingy
          It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
          I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
          I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
          Guitarmike123
          692 IQ
          The worthlessness of The Zen of Screaming has to be mentioned. Otherwise I'll see if I can type something up.
          King ofKumbucha
          Gore not Core
          1,852 IQ
          Quote by Guitarmike123
          The worthlessness of The Zen of Screaming has to be mentioned. Otherwise I'll see if I can type something up.

Done. Reread the intro post

FAQ's will be constantly updated from the bulk of this thread. Otherwise I'd appreciate it if general tips/whole guides (if anyone wishes to tackle a topic) were pm'ed to me directly.

It will make it easier than having to read through the entire thread as it gets larger,
          Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Feb 24, 2009,
          Slaytanic1993
          Wakka wakka
          2,710 IQ
          I can give a very simple (non anatomical) relation on black metal rasps and shrieks. And, the Abbath froggy.

Do want?
          R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
          B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
          cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
          xChristgrindeRx
          Mother Earth Fire Thunder
          166 IQ
          Here's some advice I gave to a kid on Youtube who commented on my videos about 2 months ago. You don't have to add them, since they're fairly common sense I presume, but feel free to tweak them how you like.

- Keep the mic out of your mouth or you're gonna look like a p*ssy (choking on c*ck is not the way to go, unless you're Helmuth, then you have right to slobber on the mic).
          - You have to play around with your mouth, throat, and muscles to get out a different sound/tempo/pitch
          - If you feel yourself choking up while going for a long growl, just kinda, play around with your various stomach muscles (not throat). This will help sustain it much longer.
          - Try different tempos. Some people find themselves better at shrieks while others like guttural, and some in between.
          - When you hear a vocalist, try and imitate it. It's good to have your own sound, definitely, but be diverse. You'll certainly have to practice to sound like them. I'm still practicing on getting that Nergal sound, but with practice I'm getting closer; do the same.
          - Sometimes the best vocal workout, is simply a sustained growl.
          - Practice. Yes, it's a repetitive note, but it's not too difficult with guttural/shrieks. I do it in the shower all the time (a lot of Naglfar and Dimmu too), and it helps. Do it while walking, listening to metal, and the best way... record it! I'm not in a band, yet, but I still make covers. The first time I tried to make a cover, I got out my mic and started trying, and it sounded like ****. Then, a week later, I felt the balls to make my Hammer Smashed Face, my second vocal recording. Since then, with advice and motivational comments, I've been making more.
          - Last tip. I can't stress this enough. My guitar teacher once told me when I went to try out for guitar in a prog. death metal band, "If they can't tell you why you suck, they have no reason to say you suck". Of course this means, if they can't explain their criticism, they're either envious, ignorant, or just stupid. Don't let some arrogant a*sf*ck tell you that you're bad without advice or explanation.
          King ofKumbucha
          Gore not Core
          1,852 IQ
          ^Yes, some of that is fairly common sense but remember that an absolute beginner won't know any of this. These topics will be covered in my contribution later in greater detail.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
          I can give a very simple (non anatomical) relation on black metal rasps and shrieks. And, the Abbath froggy.

Do want?

Affirmative
          Slaytanic1993
          Wakka wakka
          2,710 IQ
          I'll start a rough draft as I have issues relating what my body does to words.

Quote by eggsandham2
          cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
          UncleCthulhu
          Banned
          268 IQ
          Quote by Slaytanic1993
          I'll start a rough draft as I have issues relating what my body does to words.

I'd contribute a lot but I have the same problem. Apart from the standard "push from the gut" stuff all I can say is "listen to what other people are doing and experiment".
          Slaytanic1993
          Wakka wakka
          2,710 IQ
          Eh, by rough draft, I meant that I'll put it into easy to comprehend terms, and where Ron sees revision is needed, revision shall be applied.

*Tips hat*

Quote by eggsandham2
          King ofKumbucha
          Gore not Core
          1,852 IQ
          Quote by UncleCthulhu
          I'd contribute a lot but I have the same problem. Apart from the standard "push from the gut" stuff all I can say is "listen to what other people are doing and experiment".

Just explain as best as you can. I can help with editing/getting your meaning across if need be.

I'll pm you my revisions before posting so as to make sure I haven't misinterpreted.
          Ramseus
          eh?
          146 IQ
          By the way, can anyone tell me if my bm wocals are any good? Click the HHH (can) linky in my sig and listen to the song I have up there. The lyrics are basically nonsense . The vocals were compressed, lightly distorted, and then reverbed (oh my gosh, cheats!)

I hadn't done any vocal recording for like 2 years, and spent a day finding my voice in test recordings, followed by a day of killing myself recording vocals proper. Death metal vocals come so much easier to me. :/
          LHOOQ
          UG's surrealist art fan
          61 IQ
          Quote by Ramseus
          By the way, can anyone tell me if my bm wocals are any good? Click the HHH (can) linky in my sig and listen to the song I have up there. The lyrics are basically nonsense . The vocals were compressed, lightly distorted, and then reverbed (oh my gosh, cheats!)

I hadn't done any vocal recording for like 2 years, and spent a day finding my voice in test recordings, followed by a day of killing myself recording vocals proper. Death metal vocals come so much easier to me. :/

^I really liked it. I'm not really knowledgeable about this so I'm just going by ear here but sounded good.
          I've been dabbling in growling a bit. The first time I tried it (like two weeks ago) my throat was sore for the next two days. I did it again a few days ago and today and I feel fine. Is this an indication I'm doing it right?
          And is posting links here to our singing okay?
          Firenze
          Murlocked & Loaded
          1,185 IQ
          I can't do brutal death, but I can write up something on mid-to-low range vox for Death Metal, and how to control vocal range.
          Catch me,
          heal me,
          Lift me back up to the Sun
          I choose to live
          SquareNothing
          25 IQ
          I just recorded some of my vocals for the first time (on my cellphone ) and was surprised at how decent they sounded. Hopefully they sound as good when I get my toneport for recording soon, I'm hoping to do some progressive dm stuff.
          ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
          BladeSlinger
          nerd
          1,793 IQ
          My growling still sucks but I don't practice really. If a song comes on I growl with it and that's pretty much it. My tone has improved a tad but that's it.
          Quote by cemges
          And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
          brot pls
          progbass
          UG Resident
          1,030 IQ
          my vocals suck, but I do find that I am exponentially better whilst guzzling copious *re: a gallon of water
          HESSIAN HAREM
          FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
          BladeSlinger
          nerd
          1,793 IQ
          If I was in a band my growl would have a lot of my voice and pretty mid area. Symbolic or ITP era Death could be used in comparison.
          Quote by cemges
          And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
          brot pls
          Legion355
          I'm On A Boat!
          109 IQ
          This doesn't have to much to do with growling, but how can I expand lung capacity so I can do longer growls? Thanks guys. I'll try and put up a clip of my vocals...can't gurantee you'll hear them and walk away not being scarred for life or bleeding from the ears...
          "If an injury need to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
          - Niccolo Machiavelli
          Da Squiz
          Center of Harmony
          324 IQ
          Thanks dude! I've been working on it, but I've developed my screach/scream faster...
          Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
          Da Squiz
          Center of Harmony
          324 IQ
          To contribute, always keep your throat relaxed. The growl should come from your diaphram so use your "stomach" and shape the growl with your throat. Start off with a regular note and continually add like a kinda "ugh" to it, but if it starts to hurt you're doing it wrong. Keep your throat clear of mucus or anything else
          Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
          xChristgrindeRx
          Mother Earth Fire Thunder
          166 IQ
          Quote by Legion355
          This doesn't have to much to do with growling, but how can I expand lung capacity so I can do longer growls?

You don't.

And most of these contributions are common sense. And not to mention, it's all been stated in that How To Wiki, which any Neanderthal with Down Syndrome could click on.
          GBcommander
          63 IQ
          Quote by Legion355
          This doesn't have to much to do with growling, but how can I expand lung capacity so I can do longer growls? Thanks guys. I'll try and put up a clip of my vocals...can't gurantee you'll hear them and walk away not being scarred for life or bleeding from the ears...

You dont really expand your lung capacity, you just have to utilize proper breathing to control your growls/make them last longer. Go to any lesson on proper breathing and it should help.
          Quote by BringMeTheCalm
          Last night I had a dream that I bought The Mantle on vinyl for $9.99 and it came with a DVD and shirt...

Then I woke up and life sucked.
          MoogleRancha
          Leck meine Hoden
          482 IQ
          I'm loving the black metal vox guide. Practicing my shit out on Chainsaw Gutsfuck right now.
          Philosophy > Life
          Slaytanic1993
          Wakka wakka
          2,710 IQ
          Quote by xChristgrindeRx
          You don't.

And most of these contributions are common sense. And not to mention, it's all been stated in that How To Wiki, which any Neanderthal with Down Syndrome could click on.

Oh, look at this...

Quote by King ofKumbucha
          Guides for getting started...

Quote by MoogleRancha
          I'm loving the black metal vox guide. Practicing my **** out on Chainsaw Guts**** right now.

Quote by eggsandham2