Page 3 of 136
Quote by King ofKumbucha

I'm sorry. Been working early mornings lately and having band practice at night... tired as hell by the time I get home.

Oh, I see how it is. You only come back in here to brag about your growling, eh?

Regardless, questions are still getting answered, and the stuff that's already up seems to have helped quite a few people, so everything seems to be going well enough.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by Athetosis
Oh, I see how it is. You only come back in here to brag about your growling, eh?

Regardless, questions are still getting answered, and the stuff that's already up seems to have helped quite a few people, so everything seems to be going well enough.

You asshole.

Seriously though, I think the thread is doing just fine without me but I still do promise to get to that FAQ. I had work over the weekend so it severly clamped down on my free time.
Sorry in advanced if this has been asked already, but would you say it is possible for anyone to learn how to do these extreme vocal types and adjust them to be decent in music (with practice and such of course)?
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Yup, everyone can learn it if they bother practicing

Some people just learn it easier than others, but it's possible for anyone

just keep in mind that everyone has a different tone, just like singing, and your tone might not be exactly what you are aiming for
I need help with growling.
Apparently my low growls are good (coming from someone whos been doing it for a few years) and someone else said i sound like napalm death's frontman.

But i nned help with projection.
Ideas?
Projection in the sense of making it louder? I am no expert by any means but I would recommend opening your mouth wider. Maybe that sounds stupid, but its what I do while pushing from the abdomen.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Ulalume
Projection in the sense of making it louder? I am no expert by any means but I would recommend opening your mouth wider. Maybe that sounds stupid, but its what I do while pushing from the abdomen.

The mouth helps to shape the sound a great deal so I wouldn't sacrifice tone for volume. Just my two cents.
Quote by King ofKumbucha

I wouldn't take this as a hard and fast rule, I mean using cupping here and there can add texture/reverb etc. Really it's about what sounds good/ suits your voice, not what 'serious growlers' say about you. If cupping sounds good for you, as it does for sone singers, then do it. I certainly see nothing wrong with doing it as part of a veriety of sounds. and techniques.
    Quote by CG Man16
    Anyone?

One more thing, today my throat's sore, like when you're sick. Should you feel a vibration in your chest while you're growling.

Yeah, if your voice is deep, then it will. My chest really feels li,ke it is rattling when I do my lowest vox.
    Last edited by mortiis999 at Mar 30, 2009,
    Quote by mortiis999
    I wouldn't take this as a hard and fast rule, I mean using cupping here and there can add texture/reverb etc. Really it's about what sounds good/ suits your voice, not what 'serious growlers' say about you. If cupping sounds good for you, as it does for sone singers, then do it. I certainly see nothing wrong with doing it as part of a veriety of sounds. and techniques.

I agree for brutal vocals (Wormed, Disgorge, Suffocation). But cupping for mid-ranged stuff to give it more punch is cheating imo. Then again my opinion means very little and everyone is free to do what they want.
    Tips for sounding like Disgorge with exhales? I can't do something like it, but it's inhales, and I can't get much volume + I hate doing inhales

My exhales suck so I don't bother with them. I was just unsure how they were done.
    Quote by ChemicalFire
    He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
    "And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
    Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
    Alright, I've been "working" (which means singing along with my favorite songs) on my vocals a lot lately. I think I'm decent enough at black metal styled vox, but I really want to get a strong death metal growl.

Why is it that one style is easier than the other for me? And should I be worried if my throat gets soar (not actual pain) somewhat afterwords a session of growling?

And if you care to sample my growls, look right on my profile at With Fear I Serve. Perhaps that might give a better representation of my voice.

Does it sound "proper"?
    Quote by Ulalume

i'll try that wider mouth thing
    n00b question it may be but does anyone have advice on pushing from the abdomen and is there a way to tell if you're actually pushing from the abdomen properley?
    also are Shargath's vocals rasps or shrieks?
    Hey guys, how do I get does growls Jason Mendonca(Akerocke) does in songs like Eyes of the Dawn and Words that go unspoken? Also, how do I make my growls last longer?
    Okay, when I growl, my throat hurts after a prolonged period of time. I know this is not good in the slightest, so is there anything I can do to fix this?
    "If an injury need to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    Last edited by Legion355 at Apr 6, 2009,
    if it hurts i dont think your doing it properly.

although im no pro...
    My signature sucks.
    Quote by fowles06
    if it hurts i dont think your doing it properly.

although im no pro...

Yeah, I've figured this out, so I'm wondering what I'm doing. Tomorrow I'm gonna read over the Wiki article and try to fix my method.
    "If an injury need to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    Quote by blood8815
    Hey guys, how do I get does growls Jason Mendonca(Akerocke) does in songs like Eyes of the Dawn and Words that go unspoken? Also, how do I make my growls last longer?

Anyone
    Quote by blood8815

Well, I might be snagging some guitar and vocal lessons off him soon, so I'll be sure to ask him and not tell you.

*manic laughter*
    @ Nite_storm:

Chris Barnes, vocalist formerly of Cannibal Corpse, now vocalist of Six Feet Under.

But he destroyed his voice by smoking too much ganja.
    Well apparently, he "enhanced" his vocals with marijuana, by deepening it. However, kids, don't go smoking a 20 bag once a day to "be liek teh Barnes".

Vader and Behemoth probably have the hardest pitch to reach since it's so "airy". Kinda hard to describe. But I've gotten pretty close. =/
    Quote by xChristgrindeRx
    Vader and Behemoth probably have the hardest pitch to reach since it's so "airy". Kinda hard to describe. But I've gotten pretty close. =/

It's half growled, half shouted. I never really attempt it but when I do it can be quite easy to get.
    Quote by xChristgrindeRx
    Well apparently, he "enhanced" his vocals with marijuana, by deepening it. However, kids, don't go smoking a 20 bag once a day to "be liek teh Barnes".

Oh god...you're back...I think I speak for us all when I say I wish it had been a perma.
    Quote by webbtje
    Well, I might be snagging some guitar and vocal lessons off him soon, so I'll be sure to ask him and not tell you.

*manic laughter*

You better tell me
    Is it a bad thing if my throat seems to get a little bit of an "itchy" feeling when growling? I know it's not supposed to hurt at all. And I guess it doesn't actually hurt, just kinda feels weird.
    Hey, I usually just lurk these forums, but a good breathing exercise from the thread and figured I'd contribute this, since I didn't see it skimming through the thread.

http://www.tonybullard.com/?page_id=19

This guy has a guide on how to do vocals on his site that's very easy to understand for people that can't grasp the concept well. I learned it this way, and never experienced any pain or changes in my voice, and I've been at it for about 2 years now. this isn't vocal fry or any of that bull****, btw.
    Last edited by Everblack at Apr 14, 2009,
    Quote by Core Implosion
    Is it a bad thing if my throat seems to get a little bit of an "itchy" feeling when growling? I know it's not supposed to hurt at all. And I guess it doesn't actually hurt, just kinda feels weird.

Well, if you feel PAIN after a few days, you're doing it wrong.

If you feel it high up in your throat, it's a false cord grunt / scream. This is *one of the* 'safest' types of screams. Kalmah and Dark Tranquility use this.

If you feel it where your collar bones meet, you're doing a death cord scream / grunt. This is not very 'safe'.
    'not safe' means you CAN ruin your vocal cords, if you do NOT drink sufficient amounts of water, do not use enough diaphragmatic force and smoke a LOT while / before / after doing death vocals.

I hope this helped.

Just drink some water, give your throat a rest, check where your 'pain' is, and have fun with it!
    Current gear:
    Carvin CT6M
    TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
    Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
    Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
    Hey, I'm usually just a spectator on these forums, but I really need help with learning to growl/scream. All of what has been written on here is very useful if you have an X and a Y chromosome, but there isn't much if you're of the XX variety...

I understand the concept about using your diaphragm etc, but I just can't get it to come out right. I can get a growl of some sorts, but it's the type that must be coming from the throat because it gets uncomfortable after a while. I work on getting it lower but can't get much volume (I usually try in the car listening to Opeth). Does anyone know anything about how chicks can growl? (like Angela from The Great Collapse, even though hers still sounds like it would hurt). Should I just keep trying with the diapragm thing (what I've already read here) or is there something else I should be doing? I already have very good clean vocals/ getting better a slightly more "snarling" vocals which I don't want to damage...
    Ein wenig Gift ab und zu: das macht angenehme Träume. Und viel Gift zuletzt, zu einem angenehmen Sterben.

A little poison now and then: that maketh pleasant dreams. And much poison at last for a pleasant death.
    Well girls generally don't have the range to do lows, so a lot of them force them and hurt their voices. Laura from Light This City talks kind of a like a dude now because of her screaming.

What you need to realize is that, though you can't really do guttural lows, who the hell does an oldschool as **** sounding midrange growl anymore? That's low for a feminine range, and sounds badass as hell... plus you have it easier with shrieks and rasps.
    Get weird. Chug weed.
    Last edited by vMinipope610v at Apr 22, 2009,
    Quote by chick=shred?
    Hey, I'm usually just a spectator on these forums, but I really need help with learning to growl/scream. All of what has been written on here is very useful if you have an X and a Y chromosome, but there isn't much if you're of the XX variety...

I understand the concept about using your diaphragm etc, but I just can't get it to come out right. I can get a growl of some sorts, but it's the type that must be coming from the throat because it gets uncomfortable after a while. I work on getting it lower but can't get much volume (I usually try in the car listening to Opeth). Does anyone know anything about how chicks can growl? (like Angela from The Great Collapse, even though hers still sounds like it would hurt). Should I just keep trying with the diapragm thing (what I've already read here) or is there something else I should be doing? I already have very good clean vocals/ getting better a slightly more "snarling" vocals which I don't want to damage...

Remember that the growl isn't supposed to be loud, we got microphones for a reason.

If you are familiar with the sigh technique, that would be a good way to start. Just practice it over time and eventually you'll get lower and gain some volume.
    Quote by chick=shred?

The techniques are the same regardless of gender. How you end up sounding all depends on your vocal range. Best of luck.
    No gods, no countries, no masters.
    More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
    Be Serious.
    Shorties represent!
    Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
    when i growl, my throat gets all raspy, and so does my growl ,i am using my diaphragm.

if u need audio clips all post the mlater
    Gear:
    Morpheus Droptune
    Ibanez Weeping Demon
    Bugera 333xl 212
    SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
    Maybe you're getting blocked up with phlegm? Do you warm up for at least 15 minutes beforehand?
    Get weird. Chug weed.
    Quote by devit
    when i growl, my throat gets all raspy, and so does my growl ,i am using my diaphragm.

if u need audio clips all post the mlater

Raspy as in it's cracking and you are hurting yourself, or raspy as in a lot of phlegm?

If it's the first, are you sure you are using the right technique? If it's the second one, try to drink some lukewarm water before to clear your throat.
    We finally got a new thread going, wooooooot!

Can you guys crit my vocal progress on highs? In this example, I recorded singing along at a loud volume in my car. I do mostly black metal shriek things, but I also try to transition to lows quickly, and I slip a few times... The dani filth type high at the very end was an accident, didnt mean to go that high All crit welcome!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/insideac/music/all/play601547

Im trying to go for the anorexia nervosa style of vocals, not how he sounds voice wise, but scream wise, I think his screams sound very frantic and painful, and hopefully I end up capturing that one day!
    ill be waiting for some updates. ive been trying to do a successful growl for about a year now, and im 18. i can dry fry scream which is complete **** and everytime i try to scream, it concludes in me using my throat in one way or another. any help would be appreciated.
    UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
    ▼ but he is ▼
    3 questions
    1) what does tightening your throat accomplish?
    2) I sometimes suffer a kind of burning in the back of my throat when i growl, i read in an interview with Corpsegrinder it's something you work past and a friend (who's been doing this for a few years), is this true?
    3) What's the differnce between inhales & exhales?
    Quote by Wretched_Spawn

3) What's the differnce between inhales & exhales?

Erm, for one you inhale and the other one you exhale.