Page 4 of 135
Quote by insideac
We finally got a new thread going, wooooooot!

Can you guys crit my vocal progress on highs? In this example, I recorded singing along at a loud volume in my car. I do mostly black metal shriek things, but I also try to transition to lows quickly, and I slip a few times... The dani filth type high at the very end was an accident, didnt mean to go that high All crit welcome!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/insideac/music/all/play601547

Im trying to go for the anorexia nervosa style of vocals, not how he sounds voice wise, but scream wise, I think his screams sound very frantic and painful, and hopefully I end up capturing that one day!

Dude... Black Dahlia Murder.
Seriously.
Slightly more power and you are spot on.
Good fucking job.

You can go so much higher than me... mind helping me out on that? Here's a live video clip from a show we did two weeks ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tWG-AbUXk
I shift around a bit in this clip but the highs are at 00:03, 00:12.
I'm not looking for black metal highs but closer to Nergal's highs in behemoth.
Any pointers?
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Apr 27, 2009,
Quote by vMinipope610v
Maybe you're getting blocked up with phlegm? Do you warm up for at least 15 minutes beforehand?

''i didnt warm up

but i dont know it hurt a little bit and it felt like if my throat was shaking in a small motion.

i think is phlegm as i constantly spit it.
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I do this:

Breathing-

130 bpm, 4 beats exhale, 4 beats inhale. Repeat all x3
Then, descend in one beat each until it's 1:1
Speed up if possible

Growls -

Spit-fire (I recommend any Cannibal Corpse song on Kill, but Time To Kill Is Now is a good example) for the whole song

Gutturals for 5-10 minutes
Shrieks for 3-5 minutes
Mids for 5-10 minutes
Lows until you feel comfortable

There's more, but they start to reach into black metal territory.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
black metal exercises Slay? Do empart with your secrets. Want to sound like Abbath, Neige, Haughm, etc. (I know, pretty opposite spectrums)

All my exercises consist of now is singing to Darkthrone whilst driving.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
The first page has some tips, actually for most of those.

Neige, however, is my problem lately. i want to learn how to do those, but those are inhaled...and inhaled shrieks have never been a good friend to the throat.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Dude... Black Dahlia Murder.
Seriously.
Slightly more power and you are spot on.
Good fucking job.

You can go so much higher than me... mind helping me out on that? Here's a live video clip from a show we did two weeks ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tWG-AbUXk
I shift around a bit in this clip but the highs are at 00:03, 00:12.
I'm not looking for black metal highs but closer to Nergal's highs in behemoth.
Any pointers?

Thanks alot bro! Did I mention how scary you look?

I had to watch that video over a dozen times because I loved the song so much lmfao, your band is really tight, I hope all goes well with it! When your hair comes down over your face you look like, exactly like Corpsegrinder!

Yeah I can help you, ill make a video tomorrow probably before I go to sleep and post a link here when its done, that good?

Also, any pointers on how I can add more power? Even though its coming out loud, I wanna make it sound powerful, like you said.
i wish i could growl like corpsegrinder.
but my growls sound like ****
GEAR
metallic red Gear4music metal x guitar
acoustic solutions 50W amp
tuned to D standard
DIME CRYBABY FROM HELL!!!!!!11
Quote by ryand111
sorry

i cum blood

gets me every time
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Unfortunately I can not assist you in your quest of fap.
Quote by thrash metaller
i wish i could growl like corpsegrinder.
but my growls sound like ****

I'm pretty sure Corpsegrinder didn't sound like he does now at the age of 16. Start practicing!
Quote by insideac
Thanks alot bro! Did I mention how scary you look?

I had to watch that video over a dozen times because I loved the song so much lmfao, your band is really tight, I hope all goes well with it! When your hair comes down over your face you look like, exactly like Corpsegrinder!

Yeah I can help you, ill make a video tomorrow probably before I go to sleep and post a link here when its done, that good?

Also, any pointers on how I can add more power? Even though its coming out loud, I wanna make it sound powerful, like you said.

Thanks a lot dude, means a lot.
And yeah I'd love a video instruction, your highs are ****ing awesome. I'm sure once I get the basics I can mold it to the tone I want.

As far as power... I'll type something when I get home.
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Apr 28, 2009,
my growling sounds kind of hollow, kind of a whisper, and sometimes it achieves full sound for like 3 seconds. help ??
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Ok, so basically, when it comes to power with death exhales you can't be worried about how deep your voice is. If you are so focused on sounding brutal that your growl comes out like a whisper (volume or tone wise) then you are doing it wrong. I'm going to go against convention here and say PUSH

Yes, it will make your throat sore for a while. (after a few minutes hurting is when you stop for the day)
Yes, you will sound fucking awful for a while (a few months practicing every day most likely)
Yes, your band will consider getting someone else.

I'm telling you, pushing your voices limit is the only way to break that limit. Technique will only get you so far and should only be employed once you have a solid foundation, aka a powerful voice.

I don't even eq my voice during practice anymore (no echo/delay/compression/parametric/3 band etc...) because it sounds great without it. I am convinced that only comes from months of practicing every day without any sort of crutch...

I use a shitty 100 watt pa and I can hear myself over two 100w guitar amps and a triggered drum kit. It isn't as loud as it should be but I still use it because it forces me to push harder, kind of like weight training... You struggle to lift 150lbs every day and when it comes time to show off for that hot blonde who's face you want to fuck you'll be able to lift 100lbs like it's nothing.

Bottom line, when it comes time for a show and the volume is good on a solid venue pa with compression and a touch of reverb and eqed parametrically, and you've been practicing without any of that working on your volume and tone bare bones... that's when you'll sound fucking amazing.
dudes.
I read somewhere (probbably here) a kind of painesque thing at the top of your throat means your using false chords

i get a burning vibration
does that count as using false chords?
Kumbucha

You and Slay probably know that I am no friend with this thread and its dabblings.
You might know that really the only time I came in this thread was too bash the technique preachers and burn the kids who thinks their whispers and inhales were totally awesome.
And you just might know that I have developed my vocals with 15 years in a garage with no mic and some friends on guitar bass keyboards and drums.

Your post about "pushing?"
The best thing I have ever seen in this thread.

Fuck restraint.
Fuck lessons.
That.... is harsh vocals.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Kumbucha

You and Slay probably know that I am no friend with this thread and its dabblings.
You might know that really the only time I came in this thread was too bash the technique preachers and burn the kids who thinks their whispers and inhales were totally awesome.
And you just might know that I have developed my vocals with 15 years in a garage with no mic and some friends on guitar bass keyboards and drums.

Your post about "pushing?"
The best thing I have ever seen in this thread.

Fuck restraint.
Fuck lessons.
That.... is harsh vocals.

Thank you kind sir.
I kind of typed all of that fast but I'm glad it was coherent enough for someone to understand what I meant.

I put it in the first page Guide section so anyone asking about things I covered may henceforth be reamed.
i tried using another part of my throat and i can sing along to track 3 from 'the bleeding' by cannibal corpse.
GEAR
tuned to D standard
Quote by ryand111
sorry

i cum blood

gets me every time
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Quote by Pretty in Casts
tell me what you guys think of my vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZUlfV4jD8

BTW: I don't like DevilDriver or Suicide Silence a whole lot at all, but I did songs that my friends wanted me to do

good, but do what songs you want, not what your friends want.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by Pretty in Casts
tell me what you guys think of my vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZUlfV4jD8

BTW: I don't like DevilDriver or Suicide Silence a whole lot at all, but I did songs that my friends wanted me to do

Not a fan of those types of vocals but for what you were doing it sounded good.
Quote by CG Man16
good, but do what songs you want, not what your friends want.

I don't have the camera, my friends do unfortuneately.
Hey everyone, i'm trying to figure out how to do the vocal grind or whatever the guy from Black Dahlia Murder does. Is it a low shriek? High growl? I'm confused...
Also, is it better to start with growling and transition to shrieks, or should I work on both at the same time?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Hey everyone, i'm trying to figure out how to do the vocal grind or whatever the guy from Black Dahlia Murder does. Is it a low shriek? High growl? I'm confused...
Also, is it better to start with growling and transition to shrieks, or should I work on both at the same time?

'

I guess it depends on which you are more comfortable with, try to ATTEMPT both of them and see which is easier, everyones different. My buddy james (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SO1snjfKEI&feature=related), found that highs were almost natural, while the lows took him a long ass time to get to a performing standard.

For myself, the lows were extremely easy, especially the lower, more guttural sounding ones, where the highs took me a long while to even understand how to do.

Whats a vocal grind?
The technique he uses for the first 'oh' in the Statutory Ape chorus. I don't know what its called, I just tried to describe it. Is it a different technique than growling/screaming?

Also, I see plenty of tips for growling, but what about screaming? How similar is it to growling? Are there any guides like the wikiHow?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Last edited by Jango22 at Apr 30, 2009,
Quote by Pretty in Casts
I don't have the camera, my friends do unfortuneately.

Slap them and tell them to listen to more Pig Destroyer and less scenefail. Repeat as needed, eventually they'll accept that you don't want to sing crap.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I can't stop my throat from hurting, it doesn't feel like I'm using it at all, but it still hurts. I'm pushing through my stomach for the projection, and i get a good sound, but **** me it still hurts.

Help?
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by CG Man16
I can't stop my throat from hurting, it doesn't feel like I'm using it at all, but it still hurts. I'm pushing through my stomach for the projection, and i get a good sound, but **** me it still hurts.

Help?

How and when does it hurt? When you first start? While you're doing it, but a few minutes in? An hour or so after?
Quote by raincoffin
How and when does it hurt? When you first start? While you're doing it, but a few minutes in? An hour or so after?

when i'm doing it a few minutes into it. It feels fine later. Kinda feels like when you wake up and your throat hurts, just not as bad.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
jesus. i used to be cool when i was the only kid who could play guitar. then everyone got a guitar. then i was cool cause i was the only one who could scream. and now.... oh well! atleast my stuff is quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE0CabxW9kw, check it out, im the blonde one.

i have a little bit of advice.
DRINK WATER but not cold water, like room temperature. it relaxes your throat i guess. I practice without a mic by myself, and it helps me hear how i naturally sound so i can tell if i am like squeaking or doing the Devil Wears Prada "RAWRRuhh" thing, where you cut out. and i've learned that the more you practice the larger your range gets. Practice lows, and you can get lower. Practice highs and you get higher. Constant practice is probably the best thing you can do if you're trying to learn. Don't just do it for 5 minutes on the weekend, you'll lose it.
Is there anything I can do while i'm at, say, school? Breathing exercises and the like?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Breathing-

130 bpm, 4 beats exhale, 4 beats inhale. Repeat all x3
Then, descend in one beat each until it's 1:1
Speed up if possible

I posted this a bit earlier.

Quote by eggsandham2
oh, ignore that the song we're covering is by BMTH, we all know they are horrible. but they're easy and have good vocals
That feedback is intense...

Also, not saying this applies to you but I'm convinced that the reason so many little scene kids love doing those shrieky screamo vocals is because their voices are better suited for it.

Sauron (ex-Decapitated) is the youngest vocalist (around 14 I believe) I can think of that actually had a solid fucking growl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmLb7IAlxPo

Fuck yes? Indeed.
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Apr 30, 2009,
Quote by King ofKumbucha
That feedback is intense...

Also, not saying this applies to you but I'm convinced that the reason so many little scene kids love doing those shrieky screamo vocals is because their voices are better suited for it.

I believe BMTH's vocalist uses an ass-load of effects as well. But yes, it is generally easier to do that style of stuff.
Quote by raincoffin
I believe BMTH's vocalist uses an ass-load of effects as well. But yes, it is generally easier to do that style of stuff.

Seriously, I know about a dozen people who can pull those vocals off no problem and they don't even practice. Ask them to do a true death metal power exhale however...
i try to growl but i only reach the low pitch. there is no roar in it.
GEAR
tuned to D standard
Quote by ryand111
sorry

i cum blood

gets me every time
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts