Page 2 of 11
I won't suggest that your book is wrong, but I will suggest that your book seems to be serving a simplified purpose.

Note that:

Your soprano and tenor ranges both start on the same C's as mine do, but instead of going up two full octaves, they go up an octave and a fifth.

Your alto goes up to the same C5 that my tenor range does, but doesn't go as low. You could say it starts at the C5 and extends downwards an octave and a fourth.

In all cases so far, the most difficult few notes are left off, and the whole range of the voice is limited to an octave and a half.

Now the bass.... *just* shy of two octaves now. Lopped off the bottom three notes, and added two notes to the top.

I'm going to guess that this book you are referring to is geared towards younger choral singers. A choral tenor, for instance, is rarely expected to reach a high C, for instance. In fact, a choral tenor is rarely expected to exceed the G4 you listed - especially a beginner.

A younger bass singer may well not have developed his voice such that he can sing the low C, D, or E, and his voice might still be light enough to reach beyond the typical top C of a bass, and may well be able to reach the D and E above without difficulty.

The ranges I quoted are essentially the true operatic considerations for range. Many men who call themselves tenors cannot reach a high C.

.... and therein is another factor..... in choral music, things are typically written in SATB. Few people have the true full range of those parts. For instance, out of ten male singers, one will be a true bass, one will be a true tenor, and the other 8 will be baritones of varying colour. Now, in a choir, these 8 baritones will need to be 'fit' into either a bass or a tenor role - whichever they are closest to. Because of this, you can't generally ask a baritone to sing past the G4.... the same one you quoted as the top of the tenor range. No surprise, then, that choral music is written such that it expects that very few singers will be able to reach the true tenor C or soprano C, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

@joel - Are you sure you're not singing an octave lower when you go up to the Ab? Could you post a recording?

I'm positive the Ab is higher than middle C- I usually sing while playing the piano, so its a bit easier to tell.
I won't be able to get a recording, not anytime soon though- I'll see when I can get one up. But the Ab is only in one song, and even then, its actually a bit past where my voice should go comfortably (I feel a bit of strain, nothing too major else I wouldn't do it, but its still a bit stressful).

Cheers,
I can hit the G# note on the E string (4th fret) and the D note on the G string (7th fret), after that I'd need to go into falsetto to get higher.

What am I considered?

Baritone?
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by axemanchris
I won't suggest that your book is wrong, but I will suggest that your book seems to be serving a simplified purpose.

Note that:

Your soprano and tenor ranges both start on the same C's as mine do, but instead of going up two full octaves, they go up an octave and a fifth.

Your alto goes up to the same C5 that my tenor range does, but doesn't go as low. You could say it starts at the C5 and extends downwards an octave and a fourth.

In all cases so far, the most difficult few notes are left off, and the whole range of the voice is limited to an octave and a half.

Now the bass.... *just* shy of two octaves now. Lopped off the bottom three notes, and added two notes to the top.

I'm going to guess that this book you are referring to is geared towards younger choral singers. A choral tenor, for instance, is rarely expected to reach a high C, for instance. In fact, a choral tenor is rarely expected to exceed the G4 you listed - especially a beginner.

A younger bass singer may well not have developed his voice such that he can sing the low C, D, or E, and his voice might still be light enough to reach beyond the typical top C of a bass, and may well be able to reach the D and E above without difficulty.

The ranges I quoted are essentially the true operatic considerations for range. Many men who call themselves tenors cannot reach a high C.

.... and therein is another factor..... in choral music, things are typically written in SATB. Few people have the true full range of those parts. For instance, out of ten male singers, one will be a true bass, one will be a true tenor, and the other 8 will be baritones of varying colour. Now, in a choir, these 8 baritones will need to be 'fit' into either a bass or a tenor role - whichever they are closest to. Because of this, you can't generally ask a baritone to sing past the G4.... the same one you quoted as the top of the tenor range. No surprise, then, that choral music is written such that it expects that very few singers will be able to reach the true tenor C or soprano C, etc.

CT

It's a chapter on Four Part Vocal Harmonies in a music theory book.
i can go from about middle C, with full voice, but i have to concentrate on relaxing the throat to sing it, to about a full octave and a half behind that to the low A, is this baritone then?
ok, well actually i just found mixed voice and now i can sing the tenor range, an octave above and below middle c on a keyboard. but for some reason i doubt im a tenor, so does a mixed head/chest voice count?
i can hit 2 octaves below middle C, and can hit E above high C
-Jake Blackwood
Quote by guitar351
i can hit 2 octaves below middle C, and can hit E above high C

Pretty sure you're using falsetto to get to that E... youre 'range' doesnt include falsetto sorry. If you can hit that very low C i would have thought you were a bass but feel free to correct me..
Is the bottom of one's range considered the lowest note that they can physically hit, or the lowest note that they can hit clearly, without losing volume dramatically?

Also, can it be physically harmful to sing in a very high falsetto frequently? I sing quite high when I'm just messing around occasionally, and I don't want to damage my voice.
Quote by Butt Rayge
It's a chapter on Four Part Vocal Harmonies in a music theory book.

Okay.... the guidelines are probably there to teach people to write parts that will be 'safe' for most people typically in those roles. It makes sense in that light.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by yabes24
does a mixed head/chest voice count?

It's the *only* thing that counts.

CT

Quote by metallifan3091
Is the bottom of one's range considered the lowest note that they can physically hit, or the lowest note that they can hit clearly, without losing volume dramatically?

I guess here you have 'technical' range and 'practical' range. Most people consider the 'practical' range the most accurate. I can hit a high B (*just* shy of tenor high C), but I can only sing it sometimes. If I advertised my range as going up to the high B, and someone hired me as a singer based on that range, they would be pretty p!ssed that I misrepresented myself. I mean, really, who cares if you can only sort of hit the note? People care that you can *really* hit the note, and do so with reliability and consistency.

Quote by metallifan3091

Also, can it be physically harmful to sing in a very high falsetto frequently?

Yes.

CT

Can you elaborate some about the falsetto thing? If it doesn't feel like there is any straining or pain or discomfort, should I still be worried about doing damage, or is that safe?
Quote by axemanchris
Okay.... the guidelines are probably there to teach people to write parts that will be 'safe' for most people typically in those roles. It makes sense in that light.

CT

Yes, I'd say so.

I wasn't aware that the full operatic range was two octaves. The book doesn't say whether or not it demonstrates the full range, so I assumed that it did.

Probably a flaw on both mine and the author/publishers part.
I know that when I took music theory, in the voice writing part for SATB, they had the ranges listed as smaller than the professional ranges typically are, because many SATB singers don't have the full range, so, as a composer, that has to be considered, unless you only compose for professional ensembles.
Could anyone write a list of rock/metal/pop (stuff that most people in this website would want to sing, that is) singers, according to what range are they? Personally I'm looking for Baritone singers to try and cover, but I guess this could help everyone. (I assume this fits in this thread, if not... well, do whatever you gotta do)
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.
Last edited by Rubys at Oct 15, 2009,
My vocal range is D# below middle C - F#(F# above the F# that's above middle C)
What would be best to try and improve on this range?
EGGEDIT: The chorus from 'Sulfer' by Slipknot is probably the highest I can reach on a good day
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Last edited by eggo_boi_15 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by Rubys
Could anyone write a list of rock/metal/pop (stuff that most people in this website would want to sing, that is) singers, according to what range are they? Personally I'm looking for Baritone singers to try and cover, but I guess this could help everyone. (I assume this fits in this thread, if not... well, do whatever you gotta do)

Hey mate. That sounds like a good idea. I did a quick google for ya and got this list of baritone singers from wikipedia;

A–L

* Phil Anselmo
* David Bowie
* Pete Burns
* Johnny Cash
* Nick Cave
* Jarvis Cocker
* Leonard Cohen
* Nat King Cole
* Bing Crosby
* Tim Curry
* Ian Curtis
* Neil Diamond
* Dave Gahan
* Al Green
* Jimi Hendrix
* Tom Jones
* Mark Lanegan

M–Z

* Dean Martin
* Michael McDonald
* Tom Morello (As The Nightwatchman)
* Jim Morrison
* Billy Ocean
* Robert Palmer
* Elvis Presley
* David Lee Roth
* Frank Sinatra
* Bruce Springsteen
* Ringo Starr
* Michael Stipe
* Joe Strummer
* Levi Stubbs
* Corey Taylor
* Rob Thomas
* Ville Valo
* Eddie Vedder
* Vladimir Vysotsky
* Scott Weiland
* Paul Williams
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Hey mate. That sounds like a good idea. I did a quick google for ya and got this list of baritone singers from wikipedia;

A–L

* Phil Anselmo
* David Bowie
* Pete Burns
* Johnny Cash
* Nick Cave
* Jarvis Cocker
* Leonard Cohen
* Nat King Cole
* Bing Crosby
* Tim Curry
* Ian Curtis
* Neil Diamond
* Dave Gahan
* Al Green
* Jimi Hendrix
* Tom Jones
* Mark Lanegan

M–Z

* Dean Martin
* Michael McDonald
* Tom Morello (As The Nightwatchman)
* Jim Morrison
* Billy Ocean
* Robert Palmer
* Elvis Presley
* David Lee Roth
* Frank Sinatra
* Bruce Springsteen
* Ringo Starr
* Michael Stipe
* Joe Strummer
* Levi Stubbs
* Corey Taylor
* Rob Thomas
* Ville Valo
* Eddie Vedder
* Vladimir Vysotsky
* Scott Weiland
* Paul Williams

Could have sworn I googled that O_O thanks
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.
i can hit a low E clearly, and i can go to the B below middle C clearly. but the instant i hit middle c, my voice strains. this would make me a bass right?
Quote by thanksgiving
That is quite unique...

Quote by navarreguitaris
What? She said "just solder it back together"?

Quote by JacobTheMe

"Hey guys check out this cool penis!"

LOL
Quote by dethklokrulz!
i can hit a low E clearly, and i can go to the B below middle C clearly. but the instant i hit middle c, my voice strains. this would make me a bass right?

Depends. You could be a bass or an undeveloped baritone.
Can we get some clips?

I'm more or less a tenor but I used to be able to just barely hit a low E, it's hard to tell without hearing your voice.
Last edited by Cheeseman07 at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by dethklokrulz!

That would be my thought.

CT

**bit surprised at that list above that puts Michael Stipe as a baritone... maybe. Certainly not an operatic tenor, but he does go higher than many baritones, and his tone is not very 'baritone.'

CT

Ok so this has been bugging me for a long time, as much as I research I can't quite figure out what my vocal range is.

In my chest voice I can comfortably sing an A#2-G4(the g might be part mixed voice but it's really easy). With head Voice I can get up to the A# above middle C. I can usually hit the B right below C5, but it's not totally consistent.

With falsetto I can get up to about a G#5, give or take a note depending on the day, but my falsetto sounds very good without me really trying.

I THINK I'm probably a tenor, the only thing that has me confused is that I can sound kinda like a baritone when I'm singing lower notes. But in general I'm most comfortable singing in the upper part of my range, and I don't really have a low speaking voice.

Sorry for the long description but I figured it'd help answer my question.
^definitely sounds like a tenor to me, you probably only think your lower notes sound like a baritones because everyone hears more resonance in their voice when they sing than everyone else listening does. Unless you've recorded yourself with a mic and have heard that back, that's a different story.
a B1 though? if he's not hitting that in vocal fry he's gotta be a bass.

edit: oops. just listened to the song on your profile. you definitely don't sound like a bass to me. do you maybe mean that your lowest note is a B2 (b below low c)? or maybe you're counting notes that you can only growl out?
Last edited by Cheeseman07 at Oct 25, 2009,
I can only touch on the B1 though. That song on my profile doesn't really show my lower range, since I don't like using it. But I can easily sing in the second octave. I'll post an example sometime. The reason I don't think I'm a baritone is because I'm not that comfortable going over a C4 yet, I'm still working on get the notes between middle C and G4 comfortable.
still seems a lil extreme though, that low B is such a bass note yet I still think you sound a bit like a high baritone even. ah well we'll see when you put up your lower range recordings.

and don't worry too much about your range just yet, when I started I could barely hit the G below middle C and I can belt out a high C now, your range will probably start expanding dramatically quite soon.
Yeah, I don't really worry that much about my range anymore . As long as it sounds good I don't really care. Maybe I'm a baritone, doesn't really matter to me. I'll post a clip as soon as I can record something. And maybe I shouldn't have counted that low B, I can't really sing down there haha.
So my range is from Low D (like drop D tuning on a guitar) to the G above middle C like baritone range but the notes at and above middle C are weak. Am I a bass or a baritone?

Check the songs on this page (the first in particular):
myspace.com/threeleggeddogskip
Last edited by MartyredHero at Oct 27, 2009,
Hey guys, i think im in the wrong thread but how do you avoid getting that shrieking sound when you are singing in falsetto? I'm curious. Forgive me if you have to put up with the same question asked before.

Like for example Axl Rose, i think at times does sound like he is shrieking. Or so i think so. Thom Yorke and Matthew Bellamy however i think, again, do not sound as if they are shrieking. They sound "smooth". I would like to know how to not shriek and how to not sound like sand paper when in falsetto.

Please help and much thanks.
So, when I'm singing scales, I can use my chest voice from about A2 to G4, then I can use my head voice to around the high C. Would that make me a tenor? I can go down to the G2, but it sounds terrible, and has no power.

Edit: In case it's relevant, there's no straining on the C5. It is a completely comfortable note, and my larynx doesn't even budge.
Last edited by Jimbosandwich at Oct 31, 2009,
I have posted a clip on my profile of my range now . At least part of it. I even added some vocal fry because I was bored... I know that it really doesn't count . Didn't go that high, top note was D4 I think.
Well, I can definitely hit the low E string and maybe a dropped D or C (MAYBE a B, but I really don't think so) and I can hit the high e if I strain. I might be able to get a few semitones higher with some practice, but I think the highest I remember going recently (with no falsetto, just head voice) is around 3rd or 4th fret high e. WITH falsetto I can hit as high as the 15th fret on the high e. So what would I be? I am not really sure if i would be a baritone or a low tenor maybe?
Quote by canvasDude
Well, I can definitely hit the low E string and maybe a dropped D or C (MAYBE a B, but I really don't think so) and I can hit the high e if I strain. I might be able to get a few semitones higher with some practice, but I think the highest I remember going recently (with no falsetto, just head voice) is around 3rd or 4th fret high e. WITH falsetto I can hit as high as the 15th fret on the high e. So what would I be? I am not really sure if i would be a baritone or a low tenor maybe?

With a range like that, you can call yourself anything you want.

I would say you're a higher/expanded baritone, but with your range, it depends mostly on your tonal quality. Have you spent time expanding your range yet, or was this your first run?
Quote by Jimbosandwich
With a range like that, you can call yourself anything you want.

I would say you're a higher/expanded baritone, but with your range, it depends mostly on your tonal quality. Have you spent time expanding your range yet, or was this your first run?

Well, when I first started like a few months ago I could only hit the G2(if 1st fret B is C4) to C4. But I have this little kid head voice that I use when I joke around with friends that could get up to G4 with no falsetto. Speaking of which, I'm not sure but should I feel any resonance in my face or chest with falsetto? I don't, so that's what I'm calling falsetto at this point. It sounds like a woman opera singer. lol
Quote by canvasDude
Well, when I first started like a few months ago I could only hit the G2(if 1st fret B is C4) to C4.

Yep, 1st fret B is middle C. You wouldn't believe how many people that confuses.

Quote by canvasDude
But I have this little kid head voice that I use when I joke around with friends that could get up to G4 with no falsetto.

Then I'm assuming this is your head voice. If it isn't falsetto, then it definitely is.

Quote by canvasDude
Speaking of which, I'm not sure but should I feel any resonance in my face or chest with falsetto? I don't, so that's what I'm calling falsetto at this point. It sounds like a woman opera singer. lol

For me, I can only feel falsetto resonating in my throat. I don't think falsetto resonates the same as the other registers.

It seems to me like you haven't "expanded" your range yet. You've "discovered" it. To me, expanding means doing the same thing over again for many weeks until it becomes comfortable, and easy to do. Discovering means finding different coordinations that let you sing higher. If your highest starting note is a G4, you'll be hitting high notes in no time.