Page 4 of 11
Quote by Ceresz
Open G tuning 3rd String, or Open G string? Open G string is G3.

open G string. thank you! I wasn't sure at all.
so my singing range is this:

G -- open
A -- 2nd fret of g string
B -- open
C -- 1st fret of b string
D -- 3rd fret of b string
E -- open
F -- 1st fret of e string
G -- 3rd fret of e string

would that make me a mezzo-soprano?
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Last edited by Fearless(Times) at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by Fearless(Times)
open G string. thank you! I wasn't sure at all.
so my singing range is this:

G -- open
A -- 2nd fret of g string
B -- open
C -- 1st fret of b string
D -- 3rd fret of b string
E -- open
F -- 1st fret of e string
G -- 3rd fret of e string

would that make me a mezzo-soprano?

I'm assuming that 4G is your break point? If so, then you would be a soprano (I think). Soprano's usually have their first break around the 4G-4Aish area.
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
My girlfriend does that to me!
Feels pretty good!

^In a thread about strap-ons.
Quote by Jimbosandwich
I'm assuming that 4G is your break point? If so, then you would be a soprano (I think). Soprano's usually have their first break around the 4G-4Aish area.

thank you good sir
talk to me
do me baby
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

Tumblr
So, I tested and I can fit into either Bass or Baritone. I can't get all the way up to the top of the Tenor range but I wish I could. Anyone else fit in two categories?
Quote by santa_man99
So, I tested and I can fit into either Bass or Baritone. I can't get all the way up to the top of the Tenor range but I wish I could. Anyone else fit in two categories?

Most people do. I don't know anybody that has a range strictly between the two octaves.
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
Feels pretty good!

Quote by Fearless(Times)
thank you good sir

Only G3 to G4 though? I'm sure you could extend your range to a G5 at least . Most of us have to octaves, but who knows. Maybe you'll be able to reach the Soprano High C one day (C6)?
Quote by Ceresz
Only G3 to G4 though? I'm sure you could extend your range to a G5 at least . Most of us have to octaves, but who knows. Maybe you'll be able to reach the Soprano High C one day (C6)?

hopefully that would be pretty awesome. i just gotta work on my key because i'm sharp or flat a lot of times.

oh yeah happy thanksgiving
talk to me
do me baby
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

Tumblr
Quote by Fearless(Times)
hopefully that would be pretty awesome. i just gotta work on my key because i'm sharp or flat a lot of times.

Just working on singing scales and pitching with a tuned instrument . Muscle memory will take care of the rest . And everyone is sharp or flat sometimes, it happens to all of us so there's no reason to worry . Practice and you'll do fine!
Quote by Ceresz

I think most people can at least get two and a half with practice.

Quote by Fearless(Times)

Thanks! You too!
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
Feels pretty good!

Last edited by Jimbosandwich at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Jimbosandwich
I think most people can at least get two and a half with practice.

Yeah, probably. I'm basically at two and a half at the moment, but I'm still working on making it all usefull.
what am if i can sing g3 to g5 in full voice?
i used fruityloops piano roll to get the notes/numbers.
So I need some help lol I can sing cleanly from the low G on a guitar, that is, the G on the low E string, to high C on the guitar, that is, 8th fret high E string. The high C is rly pushing but I can hit it cleanly, maybe a note or two up from it mushy sounding. Any idea what this makes me?
Quote by Mekchrious
So I need some help lol I can sing cleanly from the low G on a guitar, that is, the G on the low E string, to high C on the guitar, that is, 8th fret high E string. The high C is rly pushing but I can hit it cleanly, maybe a note or two up from it mushy sounding. Any idea what this makes me?

Sounds to me like your a tenor.
I think I'm a baritone, if I can hit the low E on guitar, up to the F#-G on the high e string?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
my lowest note is an E (like the E in standard tuning on a guitar) and sometimes i can do an E flat.
@NIght - I'd say baritone.

@gnr - what's your highest note?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Best just to judge vocal register from your lowest good sounding note... Not fry voice, but good tone... from there you can use your other break notes to figure out the exact quality of your voice, as well as your tone quality in those registers. I mean I've got every note on the piano in fry voice, modal voice, falsetto, or whistle voice with the exception of the highest g on the piano and up... But I can safely say that my voice is exactly the average male voice description... at least a good low "a", a break at e above middle c, a belt range up to about an Eb above tenor c, and reinforced falsetto up to at least a Bb above that. it's all whistle voice from there.
Wow jeez I never realized middle C was considered a high note. My voice range is roughly C3-C5 but I've always considered that average. I mean, I'm not sure what I even considered high but I think, since I've never really done any professional work with singing or anything like that, I just got used to my own voice and never realized how "high" it is compared to other people.
Quote by iforgot120
Wow jeez I never realized middle C was considered a high note. My voice range is roughly C3-C5 but I've always considered that average. I mean, I'm not sure what I even considered high but I think, since I've never really done any professional work with singing or anything like that, I just got used to my own voice and never realized how "high" it is compared to other people.

you're prob off by an octave, C5 is the one an octave above middle C
No, I'm not. C2's way too low for me to hit. I just never realized how high my voice was compared to the majority.
So the singer for my band is basically E2-E4.

Baritone? Bass-Baritone?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
I've recently become interested in singing and have been messing around on the guitar trying to match it's pitch but I'm not totally sure where I stand. I have no sense of technique, exercises or any warm up skills and every note I hit is not that loud. Saying that, the notes I can hit span from G2 to G4. I can sort of hit the A5 but my voice cracks into a falsetto when I really try.

When I hit the G2 though it sounds like total crap, my tone starts to sound good (or at least bearable) at around the B or C. I'm guessing with proper warm up and technique I would be able to hit a couple notes higher than I do now and maybe make the lower one listenable.

So what would you classify my range as?
^sounds like a tenor to me, especially if you can only just barely hit the low G (I'm in the same boat)
do you have any recordings?
uh... yes he would, especially if he wasn't well trained yet
that A/Bb/B area is right around the last passagio for tenors, and if he said he hasn't developed his technique yet that sounds like exactly where he's gonna be having trouble
course it's gonna be hard to tell without a recording but I know a lot of tenors can also just barely sing a very weak low G so it seems to match up to me

edit: and I forgot he also said he doesn't sound good until the low C, and that's exactly the lowest usable note for most tenors
Last edited by Cheeseman07 at Jan 9, 2010,
if this is guitar, then
E4|--
|--
|--
|--
|--
E2|--
am I right?
couse i'm a little confused about this 123.. octave stuff..
I can sing D2 to F4♯. Would I be a bass or baritone?

Quote by vict
if this is guitar, then
E4|--
|--
|--
|--
|--
E2|--
am I right?
couse i'm a little confused about this 123.. octave stuff..

Yeah, those are right. The letter goes up one at each C.
Hello all!

I'm a tenor, but I force it. You can't really tell I'm forcing it, because I've practiced so hard at it, but it does put some strain on the old pipes. Is this dangerous in the long run? I do it because I love singing high notes.
what would you call me, if i can sing all the three ranges for men?

One day you`re gonna wake up and you`ll be 30 years old and you won`t have done a damn thing with your life.
Quote by keven93
what would you call me, if i can sing all the three ranges for men?

Either lucky, or a liar.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Either lucky, or a liar.

Or either a liar, or someone who misunderstands how range is measured.

Or a literally "one in a million" voice.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Is it possible to make the highest/lowest notes you can sing, the highest/lowest that you can comfortably sing?

If you extend your range, so you can always hit all the notes that you hit on a good day now, you'll have more notes that you can sing on a good day, that right now you can't.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Either lucky, or a liar.

thats actually not that hard if you look up the typical guidelines. on wiki and in a singing book i have, they have bass starting at E2, and tenor ending at around A4 (even though in the description on wiki it says it ends at C5.

im a baritone and i can sing E2 to A4. i can go above it too but its not really legit voice. i would never say that i can sing all three vocal classes however. its kind of misleading.

Quote by WyvernOmega
So the singer for my band is basically E2-E4.

Baritone? Bass-Baritone?

well on some descriptions ive seen, thats a typical bass range. although i would think true bass should be able to go lower than that. usually people can go lower or high than the typical range. i think the range is more for what you can sing comfortably and project well. i would think he's probably a baritone who hasnt filled out the upper range yet.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jan 18, 2010,
^yeah I was gonna say I used to be able to just barely hit E2-C5 until my bottom end disappeared (reverse puberty? lol), the thing is I'm guessing everyone looks up wikipedia pages on range and figures it out from there
which aint gonna be too accurate since the ranges listed are all "usable" or "comfortable" ranges, not the entire range of what notes the singer can produce
I am a male and what range am I if 75% of male pop/rock songs are above my comfortable range. And 75% of women pop/rocks are in my range ( when sung one octave lower ).
Quote by veggielover
I am a male and what range am I if 75% of male pop/rock songs are above my comfortable range. And 75% of women pop/rocks are in my range ( when sung one octave lower ).

do you know what notes you can sing? get out your guitar and tell us what strings and frets you can sing, highest and lowest. that would get you a better answer

based on what you said, id say baritone.