First of all I have used the search bar and numerous review sites but I'm sick of reading "This g-tar is da BOMBz it soundz Br00talz with my MG10CD "

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-Epiphone-SG_W0QQitemZ170389019676QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item27abfa1c1c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This is the guitar in question, I'm considering it as a workhorse/backup/project guitar because I'm probably going to be selling my Ibanez S470 simply because I can't for the life of me work out the ZR bridge so I'll be needing (well, wanting) a replacement.
The main thing I'm concerned about is the play-ability and what the neck etc is like considering I'll most likely be swapping out the pickups next month if I get it, maybe the machine heads aswell while I'm at it. Though I would like to hear some reviews on what kind of stock sound these can produce through an amp better than an MG10 or some kind of Behringer (i.e does it have a tendency to be too muddy or bright etc) my amp is in my sig FYI.

It'll be used mainly for Classic Rock + Blues, nothing heavier than say Metallica but going that heavy would be a rarity.

Any other suggestions for a guitar I can get for between £100 to say £175 are welcome (most likely used) the reason my budget is so low is 'cause I won £125 playing some poker today and want to use it, I'm only really willing to chip in an extra £50 from my own money due to having bills to pay etc this month.

Cheers
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Dude go for it i have an SG G400 and that one is also a G400 but its a deluxe version so its even better than mine
GEAR
Epiphone SG G 400
Marshall JH-1
Peavy Vyper
Marshall MG 10
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
Hartke A100
My Dad has one of these and I like it a lot. Quite light and comftable to play. He has Dirty Finger pick ups in his and it sounds great.
I've decided to buy now, a friend of mine made the point that even if I buy it and don't like it I can probably re-sell it for around the same price anyway
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Looks nice. Did you get it?
Some people don't like the weight distribution on the G400s (me included) but maybe you will like it. Have a look at putting a pair of IronGear Hot Slags in it and you won't know yourself.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Just sent the payment for it now. Thanks for the tip on the Hot Slags, I'll check em out.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I did not like SG's till I bought one. Now have two. Epi G-400's are just great guitars.

Enjoy it.

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
Epi SG is very neck heavy, so keep that in mind. Might wanna try one out in case you're not used to it.
I wasn't a fan personally but I can see the logic for people who like them. I felt they were a bit planky in sound and shape. The price of the Gibson SG also contributed to the fact that I think that it's worth saving up for that. Less likely to have the build quality problems that I have seen/experienced with some Epiphones and the Gibsons are good for the money.

I also didn't like the neck width but each to their own I suppose. Also with Epiphones (as with some other similar brands) they're kinda hit and miss as you can get good ones and bad ones so I hope you've played the one you're going to get...?