So I am in the market for some gear to play reggae/alternative/indie music with. I really love bob marley, matisyahu, and the killers tone. note that I am aware of the gear each of these bands use(d) and am not looking for their tone speicifically but rather trying to find a nice clean tone for playing this type of music. I have a squire strat and have been looking at an epiphone riviera p93, a fender classic series '69 tele thin line with mahogany body, or a fender JA telecaster. I am also considering a Line 6 Spider 4 amp with an FBV shortboard. I also want to play a little pop punk on the side, btw. does anyone have ANY suggestions?
i'd say a strat is your best bet or i really like the thinline telecasters semi hollow. Please don't get a line6 amp, they are horrible. if you get a line6 it doesnt matter what guitar you get because they will all sound the same
what amp would be recommended? I plan to play small gigs in a reggae band with an alternative/indie edge.
that generalization of Line6 amps is complete horse sh*t, don't mind it. He is obviously going on about the Spider series, the Vetta and Flextone are worlds apart from those amps in tonal quality. Though i can't really offer much other help in this dept. since i'm not into that many reggae type bands...but my guess would be a cleaner sparkly type sound, Fenderish, with light/mid OD from a boost/TS type pedal.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
The Vox AC30 is great for great for reggae and indie rock, but maybe bit over your budget
a clean tube amp, like a Fender or a Vox, is your best bet amp wise. guitar wise, you're going to want to stixk to single coil guitars, like strats or anything with P90s. i'd go with the PRS soapbar SE. add a nice compressor and a delay, maybe some reverb and some tremolo, and you're set.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Roland JC
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Quote by GuitarUser
Roland JC

good suggestion.

Not sure why people are rec'ing single coils and p-90's. I would think humbuckers and mahogany when I think raggae gear.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
good suggestion.

Not sure why people are rec'ing single coils and p-90's. I would think humbuckers and mahogany when I think raggae gear.

really? Humbuckers are too fat sounding to me. i've never really heard a Reggae player use humbuckers, tbh.

i've seen a few Ska players use them, though. but most of the time it out of phase position. then again, there's a very fine line between Ska and Reggae.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 30, 2009,
MIM HSS Strat run into a 100 watt SF Bassman... That's what I have and it is pretty much perfect for reggae, though I don't really play reggae per se, but I do use a lot of upstrokes.

Gregs - I could see either, though as you said stereotypical reggae is a JC-120 with humbuckers. When I am playing Sublime type stuff I go back and forth from the single coil to the bucker... Sometimes I like the trebly bite of the bucker, sometimes its too harsh, it just depends on what I'm playing. But for true, nothing but upstrokes, no flash reggae I'd say humbuckers are better.

^Didn't Bob Marley use humbuckers primarily? I think he was reggae...

Edit: Actually now that I think about it were they p90s? I can't remember, but it wasn't single coils.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
^Didn't Bob Marley use humbuckers primarily? I think he was reggae...

Edit: Actually now that I think about it were they p90s? I can't remember, but it wasn't single coils.

bob marley's guitar
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by cainmd
i'd say a strat is your best bet or i really like the thinline telecasters semi hollow. Please don't get a line6 amp, they are horrible. if you get a line6 it doesnt matter what guitar you get because they will all sound the same
Shut up.

For reggae, single coils + comp. + lots of reverb + wah + chorus/flanger with a clean amp is nice.
Quote by Jhachey22
bob marley's guitar

Soooooo, P90s? I know nothing about them so I don't know if that's what those are.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Soooooo, P90s? I know nothing about them so I don't know if that's what those are.

they're like halfway between Single Coils and Humbuckers.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
at TS: the mahogany tele should sound about in the ballpark out of all the guitars in the original post. i wouldn't sweat the guitar choice too bad though, there is not a whole lotta point going after a purpose 'regae guitar'(you can damn near use anything), but if you want something better for ragae your best bets will include the P90 pups and other single coil alnico pups(strats and tele's both come with alnico pups, and i feel the choice of alnico is a more important factor than particular pup design). the next choice is body wood, alder and preferably mahogany are going to give you the attack and 'woody' tone ragae wants, ash may sound a bit bright for your wants and basswood may be too neutral. you will want to stick more with slab style bodies rather than guitars maple tops and the such. if you stick around those options you will get a guitar that will be fine in ragae.

after that you need an amp, if you get one with a good reverb tank and a badass tremelo unit then you may not need to buy anything else. you could possibly get a line 6, but chances are it will have more options than you need and not enough of the more organic tone you would prefer. you have many options for a tube amp depending on the tone you are after. something with 1 or 2 el84's in it might not have the definition you need for shorter notes(like power tube saturation may just make your short up beat chords sound more like a drum beat) but it also has very warm tones as well, and if you develop the technique and the tone sense to master the amp you could get a very good tone. something like a 2x6L6 or 2xEL34 setup may be a little more preferable for more clean headroom. these amps are gonna beg for reverb and at times a slight modulation effect like chorus or flange. i would recommend an onboard reverb unit because they sound more 'right' with regae, but a malekko spring chicken will get ya there too. you may want a couple of additional pedals, but this will be the main tone here.

i recommend a music man amp from the 70's, you can steal them on ebay cheap as hell. the orange TT may be your el84 amp if you want. if possible try out 'class A' amps and 'class A/B' amps, the class a will have a bit less attack and have a more organic tone. the class a/b has more attack with a clean tone that accentuates reverb more.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 30, 2009,
A fender or Roland JC for true reggae, but if you play other stuff or spin off genres I think marshalls are good. I play tons of reggae influenced stuff (Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, The Expendables, 311, Pepper, etc.) and a Marshall JCM2000 is perfect for it. The singer of the expendables played a TSL60 head, Brad from Sublime played a JCM800 (also with a roland JC).
Quote by KingJustinian25
A fender or Roland JC for true reggae, but if you play other stuff or spin off genres I think marshalls are good. I play tons of reggae influenced stuff (Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, The Expendables, 311, Pepper, etc.) and a Marshall JCM2000 is perfect for it. The singer of the expendables played a TSL60 head, Brad from Sublime played a JCM800 (also with a roland JC).

i find the JC doesn't sound lively when used with a solid body guitar.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by KingJustinian25

AFAIK he primarily used Marshall Majors, and that was only for leads, his rhythm tone was always the JC.

Edit: I can't find anything to substantiate that now... Everything says JCM 800, so... Sorry, haha.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 30, 2009,
The reggae shows I've been on, I've seen guitar players using Fenders (strats and teles) and Gibsons (both SG and LP) mostly. It depends on which reggae sound you're after. Mostly it's the technique more than the gear that makes it sound like reggae.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Not sure why, when I listen to raggae I just don't hear strats. I mostly only listen to marley though, and i'm usually doing my best to be in the "right frame of mind" if you follow.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
lolreggae
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
what I know is my friend's band is a ska reggae cover band and he has a very similar setup to Bradley Nowell from Sublime. Ibanez s470, roland jc, boss delay and distortion, another guitar from ibanez (i think its and rg) and he uses 10's. Sounds better for 9's.