I sprayed about 4 coats of dupli primer, and then about 3 coats of dupli acrylic lacquer bright white. I put some tape down and peeled it and the bright white peeled up with the tape. Damn, any advice
Not all paint peeled up with the tape. And the guitar wood is poplar.
Maybe not enough coats of the bright white?
Thanks
when you lay your colour, you shouldn't let it sit too long before you removed your tape. the paint adheres to the tape and will peel easily. get in and get out, yaknow?
------

Shwiggity.
What kind of tape are you using? I find it better to use the blue vynil tape as that does not bond with the paint as quickly. The fibers in masking take sometimes will sometimes bond with the paint and flake or peel it up when removing. Also, you want to pull the tape off at an angle away from the painted surface, as if you are trying to pull the tape out from under the paint, not directly up. This will put less stress on the paint right against the edge of the tape.

Agreed, removing the tape before the paint is completely dry is a plus. Just allow the paint enough time to tack up and make sure it does not run down to the surface you are removing the tape from.
Last edited by DezFX at Sep 30, 2009,
when painting any surfaces the importance is prep prep prep!

when you prime, you should lightly scuff with a scotch brite pad prior to color coats. The scuffing gives the paint something adhere to. Also, when laying down primer, color and clear it's important to have oil free surfaces so a light wipe of naphtha to get out any hand oils or other bullsh!t is important.

I find its better to let the paint cure a few hours before removing tape. If you try to pull it off too quickly it will lift right off because it hasn't hardened to a point where the tape creates a breakaway point and the wet paint wants to stick to itself like glue. The angle in which you remove tape is important, too. You want to double it over and remove it at a very sharp/drastic angle. If you're stlil having trouble, a light (VERY LIGHT) guide line with an xacto knife will help.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Sep 30, 2009,
I taped over the gloss white, it been drying to 4-5 days, and I used vinyl for tape. The vinyl was only on for a minute.
did you scuff the surface? paint has a 24 hour flash time between coats. after that you have to scuff it lightly or the paint wont adhere
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by ddauray
I didnt scuff the primer, lots to learn

Yup

Start Here
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!