An acquaintance of mine recently told me that having a extension cord between a tube amp and the power outlet isn't good for the amp. True or false?
I use an extension cable for my and it hasn't done anything. SO i would call false
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
He may have meant an UNGROUNDED extension cord, which is true. A good, well shielded, grounded cord may add a little bit of noise, but that'd be the worst outcome.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You want some sort of strip or power supply that will protect your gear if there is a power surge.
Quote by tubetime86
He may have meant an UNGROUNDED extension cord, which is true. A good, well shielded, grounded cord may add a little bit of noise, but that'd be the worst outcome.

How can I be sure the cord is properly grounded?
Quote by AztecStatue
How can I be sure the cord is properly grounded?

If it has 3 prongs then that means its a grounded cord. That doesnt mean that wherever you play is a building where the electricity is well grounded. There are $5 devices available called ground fault testers that are very handy. You can use it to check the quality of the grounding in your home and its even better when you go to sketchy **** hole venues to check the grounding there. Im sure a lot of us here have come across venues like this and know exactly what I mean. Also if you want to learn a lot about grounding, audio noise, and electrical safety watch 3 short videos on the Taylor Guitars website. Click on the link below then click on Performance Tips/Maintenance on the right and then click on "More" towards the bottom of the first 5 videos. This will bring you to 3 more videos called Understanding Ground Loops, Noise Reduction, and Grounding and Noise Reduction. Very informative videos that will help your sound a lot and maybe even save your life lol

http://taylorguitars.com/see-hear/
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by AztecStatue
An acquaintance of mine recently told me that having a extension cord between a tube amp and the power outlet isn't good for the amp. True or false?
If it's a very powerful amp and a crappy long extension cord, he's right. When running extensions, power requirement, wire length, and wire gauge is always a consideration.