Thanks for clicking.

Is there a way of finding how long a ball is in the air for (T) if you know its initial velocity (U) and acceleration (A), when the measurement are in horizontal (i) and vertical (j) vectors?

for example, a golf ball is hit from point 0i+0j, initial velocity is (20i+30j) and acceleration is -10j ?

Many many thanks
say hello, to my little friend!!

(\__/)
(='.'=)Bunny
(")_(")

A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but one.

Tupac Shakur.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Thanks for clicking.

Is there a way of finding how long a ball is in the air for (T) if you know its initial velocity (U) and acceleration (A), when the measurement are in horizontal (i) and vertical (j) vectors?

for example, a golf ball is hit from point 0i+0j, initial velocity is (20i+30j) and acceleration is -10j ?

Many many thanks
Yes.

My guess is 6 seconds.

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Sep 30, 2009,
sort of, but there isnt a formula that will give you T using only U and A, you need V or S

(\__/)
(='.'=)Bunny
(")_(")

Tupac Shakur.
I will help you, but only if you use the term MATH correctly. It stems from the Latin Mathematica, thus mathematics should be abbreviated to math, not maths.

Sorry about that, little pet peeve.

Since motion in the (i) direction does not affect the time in the air, you can disregard that part. So total displacement in the (j) direction will be zero (since the ball goes up then back down to 0). Use the equation x=Vo(t) + 1/2 A(t^2). x is zero, Vo is 30, a is -10.

Does that help?
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
aye, thanks alot for the math help.

would Vo be inital velocity or final velocity?

never mind, im abit slow tonight, lack of nicotine. many thanks chuck

(\__/)
(='.'=)Bunny
(")_(")

Tupac Shakur.
Last edited by jimmy hendrix 2 at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by wyldething
I will help you, but only if you use the term MATH correctly. It stems from the Latin Mathematica, thus mathematics should be abbreviated to math, not maths.

Since motion in the (i) direction does not affect the time in the air, you can disregard that part. So total displacement in the (j) direction will be zero (since the ball goes up then back down to 0). Use the equation x=Vo(t) + 1/2 A(t^2). x is zero, Vo is 30, a is -10.

Does that help?

Thats the fastest good answer to a math problem in the Pit i ever saw.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by wyldething

So when we abbreviate any words we should ignore the English and go straight for the Latin?

Don't want to push my luck either, but is there any way of converting from i and j vectors to units per seconds?

(\__/)
(='.'=)Bunny
(")_(")

Tupac Shakur.
2j would just be 2 units up per second IIRC.

Haven't done mechanics for a while though.

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Sep 30, 2009,
Use the Kinematic formulas.
You know that the final velocity will be zero because of gravity working on the ball.
S = ---
U = 50ms^-1
V = 0ms^-1
A = -9.81ms^-2
T = ?
I think those values are right.

Edit100: Didn't read it was for the total journey, not just the going up part. Disregard this.
hello
Last edited by opc100 at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2

the fact that you're from england means that he's wrong about the maths thing.

we say maths the americans say math.

they're weird like that.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by psyks
So when we abbreviate any words we should ignore the English and go straight for the Latin?

I was just saying that to prove that mathematics is singular, and thus should be abbreviated as such.

Wyldedit: Didn't mean to start an argument. Silly Brits, we won the Revolutionary War, so our abbreviation is right, dammit!

Also,

Quote by jimmy hendrix 2

Sigged
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Last edited by wyldething at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by wyldething
I was just saying that to prove that mathematics is singular, and thus should be abbreviated as such.

Wyldedit: Didn't mean to start an argument. Silly Brits, we won the Revolutionary War, so our abbreviation is right, dammit!
But that doesn't make any sense. I could just as easily say that mathematics in ancient Greek is "Mathēmatikós" which has got an "s" at the end. While this is no evidence in favour of any argument, it clearly shows that English has a different way of pluralising words. If you're so keen on making obscure references to the past, for the record, "mathematics" was originally a plural used to describe the different disciplines within the subject.

I'm not arguing in favour of either abbreviation, merely the fact that you for some reason believe yours is better.
Last edited by psyks at Oct 2, 2009,