I am trying out for a band that tunes their guitars in A.
So low to high it's A E A D F# B.
I want to play a 5-string bass and was wondering what the best way to tune the bass would be.
Either low to high, A E A D F# or I've seen A D G C F.
Any knowledge about this will help me tremendously. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure you would do A D G F, because that is standard tuning. I've never heard of A E A D F# before.
Well the only thing is, they have tabs for me on guitar pro, that are tabbed on a four string bass that's tuned A E A D. I just want to figure out the easiest way to learn their songs that they have written already.
That's not A they're in or Drop A.

It doesn't really make sense.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I'd go AEADF#. Just drop the B one step, and the high G half a step. You're matching all the strings you can, with little effort.
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
Quote by baz249
I'd go AEADF#. Just drop the B one step, and the high G half a step. You're matching all the strings you can, with little effort.

Why? Guitar riffs almost never use the 2nd string anyway. TS, Just tune AEADG.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
AEADG, AEADF# if you want to stay in a certain key/mode.

depends on how comfortable you are knowing that the top string would be different.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by kugelspot
Why? Guitar riffs almost never use the 2nd string anyway. TS, Just tune AEADG.

Are you ****ing high? "Almost never use the 2nd string anyway...." God, that gave me a laugh.

Tune your bass up F#AEAD. Or better yet, tell them to stop trying to be Slipknot, with all of their Ibanez's tuned to Z flat and tune the **** up in standard.
Bumper, warned. I'm not overlooking your trolling or flaming anymore. If you aren't going to help, don't post. If you're disagreeing with someone, no matter how silly or stupid a comment is, don't flame.

TS, tune to AEADG if they've given you the tabs in AEAD. It's simple enough to do, and it's not a real pain in the ass of a change on a five string.
^Exactly why would you tune AEADG instead of with the low F# (why is it that thses damn kids can't tune in fourths like in the good old days?). As far as I know Guitar Pro can transcribe tabs into different tunings and keeping the strings as close to the standard (tuned in fourths) keeps you scale patterns mostly intact.

And as far as flaming goes, "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." If they don't have to think about what they're goin to post, then why should I have to overlook their sheer stupidity?
Am I really that close to a perma? Wow. In five years of flaming, trolling, spamming, and thread jacking and it's finally this close to the end. Hard to believe. I'd like to thank the academy...etc. Seriously though, I miss the old days when the Bass forum was filled with arguments about theory, death threats and . Btw, while I have your attention, wtf happened to the chat?
okay also try this E A E A D.

what this lets you do is have basicly the same string/fret on your E-G string(if you was in standard) but use your B string like you normally would if you was in standard

when guitarists are in drop D i normally A D A D G. Drop C i use G C G C F

am i jsut wierd? i thought this was the "normal way" aparenly im unique all the sudden by acident?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
okay also try this E A E A D.

what this lets you do is have basicly the same string/fret on your E-G string(if you was in standard) but use your B string like you normally would if you was in standard

when guitarists are in drop D i normally A D A D G. Drop C i use G C G C F

am i jsut wierd? i thought this was the "normal way" aparenly im unique all the sudden by acident?

No I drop tune like that and it makes sense to, imo. However, a low E like that will be very floppy unless you get a very, very heavy string (like Warwick's .170) and pretty much inaudible. I believe the low F# is around 22Hz, which is pushing the lower limits of hearing for a lot of people, another half step is gonna be pure mud, if anything.
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
ya it would sound pretty lathargic that low but still worth trying.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E