people talk alot about tone and this new guy recently joined my guitar lessons, he has a les paul copy he says is around £90
my guitar is an ashton around £120 yet his tone raps my *** we both play through the same amp.
Would this be some way he plays or the fact ashtons suck?
different pickups will sound different through the same amp
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Last edited by bellamy_morello at Sep 30, 2009,
Maybe he's just better than you
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Having not played an Ashton before I cant say for sure however your tone depends on many things. It could be that his guitar just has better chemistry with the amp you are using. It could be that the settings on the amp favor his guitar. It could be how he plays. Or it could just be that Ashtons suck like you said. Either way, I doubt your guitar or his have a great sound. You should invest in a better guitar if you are serious about music.
yh he is way better than me but his tone is better aswell
i know neither of us have great tone especially with the amp we are using its just his is way better, it makes my guitar sound ****, but ty
Focus on your technique. A great guitarist can make ****ty gear sound good (to an extent). Show that kid up.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Focus on your technique. A great guitarist can make ****ty gear sound good (to an extent). Show that kid up.

how :L i actually like the guy he is cool + all i can play is simple solos like paranoid and fade to black intro
People hear tone differently.

So he thinks your tone sucks... you obviously think its decent tone.

I can't imagine your guitars sounding too much different. Yours could have better craftsmanship and his could have "better" pickups in him, though.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
People hear tone differently.

So he thinks your tone sucks... you obviously think its decent tone.

I can't imagine your guitars sounding too much different. Yours could have better craftsmanship and his could have "better" pickups in him, though.

my tone is okay but its cheap, nothing special for the price but his is great, we have never talked about it
If he's better that's probably why he sounds better...I doubt the raw tone is much different, he's just making better use of what's available.

If you give a hamfisted beginner a PRS plugged into a Mesa they'll still sound like crap - touch, control and accuracy take you a hell of a long way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 30, 2009,
There doesn't seem like a huge price difference in those guitars and they both seem pretty cheap. You can't really expect much at those prices.
Quote by steven seagull
If he's better that's probably why he sounds better...I doubt the raw tone is much different, he's just making better use of what's available.

If you give a hamfisted beginner a PRS plugged into a Mesa they'll still sound like crap - touch, control and accuracy take you a hell of a long way.

This.

Tone is in the fingers, which is why you hear such good guitarists still sounding amazingly well on bad amps or bad gear.
Quote by steven seagull

This. My teacher can pick up the crappiest guitar/amp combination possible and still make me sound like balls in comparison, no matter what I'm playing lol